Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a tactical person but why is this there?

Edit:

Never mind, I found the reason. Or "a" reasonable explanation. It was there as a design necessity. In order to stuff six cartridges into that short grip frame, the follower had to protrude out the bottom a bit for reliable magazine function.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/24/detonics-story/

I once thought this indicator was kind of hokey for a combat handgun. When I think about it, Detonics is the only good thing that ever came out of Seattle (other than my kin) in recent memory.

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Detonics...............Neat little guns,and fairly expensive now.
I had one in the early 80's.............I liked it was a CCW gun, but I NEVER could understand they chose to move the rear sight so far forward.................
Mine was a MK IV........What is yours?

Tom

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Detonics...............Neat little guns,and fairly expensive now.
I had one in the early 80's.............I liked it was a CCW gun, but I NEVER could understand they chose to move the rear sight so far forward.................
Mine was a MK IV........What is yours?

Tom
Mine is what became known as a Combat Master MK I. The slide isn't marked as such, it's just roll stamped "Detonics .45", the sides of the slide are polished blue; the frame (Essex) is matte or satin.

It was given to me in 1996. I have no idea when it was made, S/N is I48xx. Production serialization for the blued steel guns stared at 2000 making mine the 28xx production pistol made. I haven't been able to find early production numbers by years. This model was discontinued in 1981.

It has the forward rear sight and the rearward sloping slide, a weird looking spurless fan shaped, deep knurled hammer. No grip safety.

It's my understanding that the sloping slide was to make it easier to thumb cock the hammer so they had to move the sight forward to keep it on top of the slide. I guess Detonics assumed that the gun was to be carried with a loaded chamber and the hammer down.

- From the 1980 owner's manual.

I've only shot it once years ago with Winchester white box ball ammo. Afterwards, I noticed the ejector was loose and fitted a new one, but I'm not satisfied with the job I did so I'll have to redo it someday.

Reactions: Tomray
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.