Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just browsing the GunAuction site, and came across a what looks to be a Deluxe model in 444. It has a high comb stock with what looks to be a medaillon of the Marlin man on horseback. Has a 24" barrel and the short mag tube.

This isn't my auction nor do I have a connection with the seller, but this was a caliber I was considering late last year. I ended up getting a 45-70CB, and if I can save up my pennies this year, I'll be looking to add a 444 to my little marlin family.

Were these particular rifles a special order or were they just a limited run?

If anyone is looking and has their funds together, here is the item number - 12774164

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Its a first gen 444 made in 1970 the medallion is 100th Marlin anniversary. The 1st gen 444 had the Monte Carlo stock from intro in mid 1960's through early 1970"s. Cool rifles.

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dcsprings - thanks for the information. It's a nice looking rifle, for myself I'd rather have a regular butt-stock as I will sometimes switch from left to right-handed shooting depending on the situation, another reason why I love the levers. At least now I know to look for one built in the mid 70s to early 80s, once I get my monies saved up again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It has a high comb, but no cheekpiece.
It'd shoulder the same left or right.
You know you wanna...:biggrin:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rory, that is good info, not having the cheekpiece certainly opens the field for me. That auction ends in another day or so, and I won't have my gun funds replenished till late August. The 444 is next on my list. Sometimes I wonder if I just like to torture myself by browsing the auction sites, knowing I don't have any expendable cash. Guess that's just another symptom of Marlinitis.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm especially pleased with mine and i like the Monte Carlo style stock because it seems to position my eye at the proper level with the scope. It also shoots extremely well and almost groups better than all of my other Marlins. Anyway enough of the sales pitch, the one up for auction isn't mine but someone will end up with a nice rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Its a first gen 444 made in 1970 the medallion is 100th Marlin anniversary. The 1st gen 444 had the Monte Carlo stock from intro in mid 1960's through early 1970"s. Cool rifles.
Yep...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts