1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I would contact Marlin and send it back for them to fix. 1-800-544-8892

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
back on the old MT there was a lot of good things said of Marlins service dept. See if it still rings true.
Are you useing reloads? Have you tried .44 spl? I read somewhere that they tried to make these guns for both the Mag and the Spl and the guns will tend to favor one over the other.
Could there be a burr or sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber that could use polishing?
The other thing I would suggest in figureing it out for yourself is to break it down and !st compare the New parts to the old, 2nd compare to someone's .44 that does work. If every thing is the same, there could be a receiver flaw where the the carrier henges. I watched mine(81') and the angle is very low and it rises almost even with the bore.
good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seaweaver said:
back on the old MT there was a lot of good things said of Marlins service dept. See if it still rings true.
Are you useing reloads? Have you tried .44 spl? I read somewhere that they tried to make these guns for both the Mag and the Spl and the guns will tend to favor one over the other.
Could there be a burr or sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber that could use polishing?
The other thing I would suggest in figureing it out for yourself is to break it down and !st compare the New parts to the old, 2nd compare to someone's .44 that does work. If every thing is the same, there could be a receiver flaw where the the carrier henges. I watched mine(81') and the angle is very low and it rises almost even with the bore.
good luck

·
Premium Member
10,997 Posts
First, you purchased a rifle someone else "may" have tinkered with ....Secondly, there's NO difference in a 44 and 45 Lever! ......I know that for a fact!......Your being "Hosed" on that item!
Yes, your carrier may be problematic. But you've let 3 people inside your rifle, and you may now have MORE problems than you started with. Ever hear of Rube Golberg or Murphy???????
Do the only RIGHT thing. Send it back to Marlin for correction,but take out the 1 pc firing pin before you ship it.
Explain the problem plainly in print and let the people that build them every day correct the problem.
Your just wasting your money if your on your 3rd "gunsmith" with this problem!
Oh, how does the "action job" and a 1 pc. firing pin (which defeats an internal safety) help solve your jamming problem????????????????????
Re': a 1 pc. pin, there's absolutly NO reason you need it!

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
The chamber most likely needs a small radius if it is scraping the cases. Check your other firearms and see if they have a small radius.

·
Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Bull, You stated:
The rifle was purchased used, and I knew it already had the so called "Marlin Jam", but being a pre-cross bolt, ballard model, I bought it knowing it would need repairs.

I don't believe your gun is a "Ballard Model"...... My research material shows that the 1894 was introduced in 1969 as a MicroGroove barreled product.
What are the 1st two numbers of your serial number?

I don't yet know for sure, but I can't see why our gun service dept. won't service a 1894 rifle, except that yours may be too heavily "modified".

If your rifle has been rebarreled or has "other" modifications as you describe, I can understand Marlin not wanting to get involved with it.
If this is the case, I think what you now have is a good trade item for a down payment on a different rifle.

If your wanting this rifle to cycle like Lucas McCains gun, that probably will not happen due to unknown "modifications' by the earlier 3 gunsmiths.

Tell me more about your rifle with S/N and barrel markings, maybe there's hope yet to solve this problem.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts