Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mis-behaving .22 rifles- ahh what fun.

First off, my 39-A plugs 1/2" or better groups on paper all day long. Show it live game, and it shudders and whimpers- the misses are heart breaking.

Same scenario with the Cooey 75 Target I spent so much time restoring, and being oh so careful to put a period correct scope on it. It loves the bull's-eye- a real ten ring magnet. Put live game in front of it, and there is almost audible cry of fear- both these rifles shoot well off-hand too.

THEN- my usually reliable consistent 10-22 throws a hissy fit- I can't get it to group well enough to sight-in at 25 yds.

Good thing there warn't a convenient lake nearby this a.m.- I'd of been sorely tempted.

The day's only saving grace was the 52-Sporting Repro. It does what it always does- the cross-hairs settle, and phhhtttt! One grouse dinner in the bag. And that was with a cheap gunshow 6X Japanese Banner I got at a show for a song- took 2 shots to zero, and away I went.

All I can say is it had to be one of those days. I'll get things sorted out eventually..... And I'm glad to bag the first hen of the season today as well!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey Doc,
Maybe you're just getting old and shakey. Or maybe those rifles are no good anymore and you should give them to me.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a couple of wise-guys trying to blame old age, huh? :wink: Very funny! Except I ain't that old yet....

That kind of field performance from the first 2 rifles isn't surprising, with their long lock times, and some-what heavy triggers. The more I think about it, the more I feel it's a shooter related problem. I'll have to step up a grade in ammo selection, and try again. I'm going to strip down the 10-22 tonight. That horrible performance is totally un-acceptable- given what I know the rifle is capable of....

In the mean time, I've still got a good one that bags 'em the way it should.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know how you feel, I have a taurus tracker .22 open sights that I can shoot at targets all day and group great but last year I took it squirrel hunting and missed at least 15-20 squirrels, i never hit one with it all season, so maybe its the thrill of the hunt and an itchy trigger finger that we cant wait to shoot, and take out time and aim well? just a thought!

·
Registered
932 Posts
xjcamaro89 said:
maybe its the thrill of the hunt and an itchy trigger finger that we cant wait to shoot, and take out time and aim well? just a thought!
No, that's not it xj. Doc's just old and don't want to admit it. Poor old feller! Probably still thinks he can handle women too.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Doc.. I can punch paper with the best of em. and even on a good day out shoot some with optics.. but in the woods , as my friend CJ would say, The swamp monster is at work.. and all the ghouls and goblins come out of the shadows.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sarge said:
xjcamaro89 said:
maybe its the thrill of the hunt and an itchy trigger finger that we cant wait to shoot, and take out time and aim well? just a thought!
No, that's not it xj. Doc's just old and don't want to admit it. Poor old feller! Probably still thinks he can handle women too.
LOL Sarge! I learned at a fairly young age just to tolerate 'em and not interfere with anything.... any more can be wicked trouble.

I have to admit that game gets me excited-I'm probly on common ground with GJ here. Hope I calm down soon- awful late in the season for me to still be this twitchy :p

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 11 of 11 Posts