Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a time not to long ago when our Kansas deer tags were stickers that went around a leg as soon as animal was killed. No way they were coming off without destroying them . Visually seen with no problems. Fast forward to today . Paper tag that you have to attach yourself with wire tie. Easily removed. Or worse yet a internet tag. Notch on phone, take pictures , transport. Missouri has the same now. One thing to remember now is if you just have the e tag you better have your phone with you to notch your tag immediately. Saw a guy get a ticket for not doing it immediately after kill. Gutted his deer and walked almost a mile to get his deer cart and leave his rifle in truck while carting it out. He never moved the carcass. Game warden was at parking lot and asked about blood on his hands. Hunter told him the story and what he was doing. Warden checked his license and said his e tag wasn’t notched yet. Hunter got in argument about the fact his phone was in truck and he hadn’t moved deer yet. Warden got upset about the guy hunting without proof of license on personage. Wrote him a ticket for failure to tag deer even though he hadn’t moved the animal from kill site. $170 fine. Moral of story is print a tag even though you have the phone app. Tag animal immediately before gutting.
My opinion is conservation officer was a little hard on the guy. Maybe a different matter had animal been transported back to truck without notching tag. I personally prefer sticky tags.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Initially it sounds like the warden was being a little harsh. But there is a right way and a wrong way to argue with LE officers.
It’s a good reminder to all of us to cross your t’s and dot your i’s. In this new world we live in, there is always someone watching, the more we can do to show we are on the up and up, the better off we will be.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hunting is supposed to allow for a low tech reprieve from the rest of the world. Game departments make these changes to save money then open up the opportunities for BS tickets like above. The DNR pisses and moans every year about losing money from decreased sales of license, regardless of their “official stats” then turns their fish cops loose to harass those who actually try to follow the rules. Gone are the days when these game wardens had an ounce of common sense or commonality with the hunting or fishing public. They just serve as a money making arm of the king now. We must not steal game from the king.
and yes, I have a bad attitude towards todays fish cops after my interactions with many many of them through my officer position at my sportsman club. They parade the new ones through to impress upon us how hard they are working for the sportsman out there. Unimpressed is an understatement.

·
Super Moderator
25,658 Posts
The problem with the e-tag is that you need connectivity. Often its hard to stay in touch with the net where I hunt due to the tree cover and steep slopes. I do cut the notch in my paper tag as soon as I can.

·
Registered
615 Posts
We recently got back from a mule deer hunt on the Arizona Strip. I saw more "Fish Cops" than shootable bucks. Stopped in our camp 6 times to "check on" us. They went through our camp while we were out hunting.

I can't say much more on how I feel because I don't want to get this thread locked or censored.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In Oklahoma we have to attach a “field tag” with your name, license number, date and time of harvest. You then have 24 hours from the time you leave the hunt area or deer camp to e-check the deer online.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Ohio has gone the all-electronic Internet route. I always print out my deer permit and carry it in my wallet along with my license. Also with me in a small pack is one of the old-style license holders (when we had to wear our licenses on our backs). They are waterproof and have a big "safety" pin built into them, perfect for attaching to a deer's ear, with my now filled-out permit (that was printed on flimsy copy paper) tucked safely inside it.

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
When is too much government enough?
Whiskey Rebellion 1791-1794 --- After several years of protest, some violent, some not, President Washington sent 15,000 Militia troops to Western Pennsylvania to quell the rebellion and collect the new tax. Farmers argued that they had already paid their property tax to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the grain was theirs to do with as they wished. Washington countered that the Farmers now had Federal representation and the tax was legal, unlike the King of England taxing whiskey and rum with Colonists having no representation in Parliament.

Font Rectangle Number Circle Magenta

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
I understand the need to manage wildlife populations where hunting is concerned. I do not understand why government is in charge of it. At least devolve the management to civilian (non-government) oversight at the county level and only involve government courts to resolve criminal violations or civil land disputes.
The WMA rules and regulations in Florida are evolving into such disparate and complicated ways that it is becoming difficult to keep up with all of it. It takes almost tactical planning to chart out hunts in multiple WMAs over the different seasons.
The acreage not under state ownership is privately held by timber companies here in Florida, who lease thousands of acres to private hunting clubs which in turn typically charge high fees to pay for access. The option of last resort is purchasing your own property, which is becoming unattainably expensive. That leaves inherited family land. Even there, the state now demands harvest reports, once again violating private property rights.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
We don't have good cell service at our house, let alone out in the woods. I hope they don't go to online" tags here.
Unfortunately, our DNR and hunting regulations are decided by a board of politicians who know nothing about game conservation. Only reason they keep raising the price of hunting tags is to fill the woods and banks of the rivers with tons of agents to give out tickets for silly things like the OP posted. I have not hunted or fished on public land in many years because of this nonsense.
It's a shame, and the reason so many people don't buy licenses anymore.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Ohio has gone the all-electronic Internet route. I always print out my deer permit and carry it in my wallet along with my license. Also with me in a small pack is one of the old-style license holders (when we had to wear our licenses on our backs). They are waterproof and have a big "safety" pin built into them, perfect for attaching to a deer's ear, with my now filled-out permit (that was printed on flimsy copy paper) tucked safely inside it.
That is a great idea. I have a box full of the permit carriers, I will adopt your policy.

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
My Game, Fish, and Parks Department specifies "soft point expanding ammunition". When I hunt the National Forest with my 1894 I always carry JSP ammo only. No cast bullet loads in the truck or in my pouch.. At the game stop on my County Road I don't want to argue bullet performance with a Game Warden. Easier to shoot Nosler JSP's or Sierra JHC's than to test the State's knowledge of terminal ballistics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts