Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
No worries--I edited it to make it legal. Thanks so much Geoff! BTW--are you gonna get a doe with your 44 SPL again this year? I have never taken a deer with a handgun and thought that was cool! If anyone else wants this great deal on the trailcams--PM me and I will supply the URL.
Hey jay that was a super blackhawk 44 mag pistol. and yes I planted the closer field to the OP1 which is between 20 and 50 yds so I intend on using the pistol in that small food plot. I will plant it this weekend and will take photos of the set-up I have this year.
Looking real promising as I have seen many does and real young bucks. I imagine if I can hit the timing during the rut the big boys will be around.

I imagine you don't need to cut many trees down with a stand that high in the air. Plus come cold weather the leaves will be off the trees and will open more shooting lanes for you. it is always a tough decision to cut or not as you hate to disturb the hunting area too much this time of year. but with this cool weather my trigger finger is sure getting itchy. Skeeters are still real bad down at the farm so don't go far from my thermocell.

·
Super Moderator
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey jay that was a super blackhawk 44 mag pistol. and yes I planted the closer field to the OP1 which is between 20 and 50 yds so I intend on using the pistol in that small food plot. I will plant it this weekend and will take photos of the set-up I have this year.
Looking real promising as I have seen many does and real young bucks. I imagine if I can hit the timing during the rut the big boys will be around.

I imagine you don't need to cut many trees down with a stand that high in the air. Plus come cold weather the leaves will be off the trees and will open more shooting lanes for you. it is always a tough decision to cut or not as you hate to disturb the hunting area too much this time of year. but with this cool weather my trigger finger is sure getting itchy. Skeeters are still real bad down at the farm so don't go far from my thermocell.
Yeah--that is the balancing point--just cut down what is needed and not go overboard. My stand is about 15 feet up--so I am above much of the branches and brush--especially after mid-November. I sighted in my CVA Optima smokepole last week and am getting that itchy trigger finger as well. You are right about the skeeters--they are out and are really bad at nightfall.

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
I have lost four trail cams during the past three years--all of them were either older models or the new cheepo model that I just lost. I wish that I could do some more brush cutting downhill from me but this isn't my property and there are large rocky areas which are inaccessible. The owner (a goody buddy) and I have been working at it when we have the time.
If your buddy is ok with it, weed killer in a pump sprayer works wonders and is a lot easier (and quieter) to lug around than a weed eater!

For you guys with bear/camera problems...how about a wood, three sided/roofed box (somewhat like a bird house) with a couple slots cut in the sides for the strap to pass through and a few drywall screws or 6d-10d nails driven through to the outside? Cheap and easy to build!

Reactions: mrguvna and Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If your buddy is ok with it, weed killer in a pump sprayer works wonders and is a lot easier (and quieter) to lug around than a weed eater!

For you guys with bear/camera problems...how about a wood, three sided/roofed box (somewhat like a bird house) with a couple slots cut in the sides for the strap to pass through and a few drywall screws or 6d-10d nails driven through to the outside? Cheap and easy to build!
I actually have a pump sprayer that I use on my property and will have to ask my friend about it. I like the idea about the box but I don't know if making it out of wood will help. A local bear tore through a garage door just to get at a garbage can.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
If the wood box was made of treated wood it would be a delicacy. The bears are eating my 4x4 timbers I have built stands and pole barns with. I will take some photos of the damage on the treated lumber. They have completely eaten some of my cameras and all I find is small bits of plastic so not sure wood would work, but thanks for the idea. I would buy the steel cages for the cameras but they are not cheap. I will just keep buying cheap cameras and take my chances. Truly some of my older cameras have been inthe field about 3 years and the plastic degrades in that time frame anyway.

I use sprayers in July and August but once September hits my experience in Va and Nc is the plants are already in the downward mode of fall/winter and the efficacy of the herbicide is diminished, almost a waste this time of year.

Best is using pruners and selectively taking out small branches that interfere with shooting lanes or..........................use a 45-70 and not give a rats potoot about branches or trees that get in the way.....

I actually shot a buck a few years back through a small pine tree (4 inch), from about 20 yds. tree and buck fell on the spot!

·
Super Moderator
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
how bout just plain dang mean and ornery!

That's ok I have wanted posters placed around the farm with photos so all know who I am looking for and why.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
If the wood box was made of treated wood it would be a delicacy. The bears are eating my 4x4 timbers I have built stands and pole barns with. I will take some photos of the damage on the treated lumber. They have completely eaten some of my cameras and all I find is small bits of plastic so not sure wood would work, but thanks for the idea. I would buy the steel cages for the cameras but they are not cheap. I will just keep buying cheap cameras and take my chances. Truly some of my older cameras have been inthe field about 3 years and the plastic degrades in that time frame anyway.

I use sprayers in July and August but once September hits my experience in Va and Nc is the plants are already in the downward mode of fall/winter and the efficacy of the herbicide is diminished, almost a waste this time of year.

Best is using pruners and selectively taking out small branches that interfere with shooting lanes or..........................use a 45-70 and not give a rats potoot about branches or trees that get in the way.....

I actually shot a buck a few years back through a small pine tree (4 inch), from about 20 yds. tree and buck fell on the spot!
I know bears can be stubborn, but would think the nails/screws would be enough of a deterrent!

·
Premium Member
6,799 Posts
Regarding treated wood. The company I worked for owned, among other ventures, a very large electric utility. The woodpeckers would give us fits cutting holes in our creosote power poles. They preferred the creosote poles - the fresher the better.

T.S.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I know bears can be stubborn, but would think the nails/screws would be enough of a deterrent!
ever heard the expression they eat nails and spit rust...................... I did put some 6 inch lag bolts in the 4x4 posts and I think it broke a tooth as there was blood on the post and the bear has not returned.

·
Super Moderator
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
I will start patrolling the woods with my favorite deer stand rifle. A Marlin 1895 with my special loads that will blow 2x4 clean in half. I usually bag several tree stands snuck in by the stick & string cult.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts