Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
our deer season on private land opens here in the lowcountry of SC aug 15-jan 1 we can bait deer, i think the limit is 5 bucks per day, no total limit for the year, and we also have a lot of doe days to kill does. we use what ever we want to hunt with as long as it is a center fire, bow, black powder, hand gun, ect ect. we have no game check stations for private land just kill it and go home. also all of our deer are not runts either. many are 175 to 200 lbs. most are around 120-140 lbs

i am 57 and grew up hunting like this all my life, i know no other way. we have more deer than you can shake a stick at, i wonder why other states are not more open without a lot of laws? it makes no sence to me. i think a lot of other states has just as many deer as we do. so why so many laws?

oh and they also allow hunting with dogs here, i have no use for that but to each his own.

·
Registered
964 Posts
WOW, nothing like a target rich environment.

Reactions: SC Reb and OLSKOOL

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Wow. I have about ten weeks before the season's open... And it closes by mid December at the latest!

Man I gotta get out of Siberia... I mean new yorkistan...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sept 6th for urban archery here in Va. I thought we had it good here, 3 bucks and unlimited doe. Season goes from Sept till the end of March with the early and late urban archery seasons added on. Good luck and show some pictures.

·
Registered
496 Posts
About 10 years ago in Pa, we had "antler restrictions and herd reduction " 3 points on a side + lots and lots of doe tags, and our 2 week buck only season become a "deer" season . I cant speak for every where, but some of the public lands I used to wander and hunt in the NE became deerless in just a few short years, by deerless I mean no sightings, no tracks in the snow ,and a lot of long faces on hunters.I own and live on a farm in Bradford co. and once would see 50-100 deer on opening day { no doubt a few repeats } then it became a hunt all day and maybe see 1-3. I and all the neighboring farm/land owners quit on the doe hunting for a few years, that, along with the season for doe being cut from 2 weeks to 1 week, our herd seems back and healthy. I don't think any of us will ever go back to "bonus tags ", I could not ever imagine a season like that here. we'd be critter less.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Wow what a generous deer season!! We don't get so many days or deers hear in Oklahoma. We do get 6 or 7 a year. I wonder who I know in S.C.? Hmm.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I read the regs the other nite but have already forgotten what the bag limit is this year, 5 I think, no more than 2 bucks. Bucks must have 3 points on one side. Considering the previous years limits they have gone up. We have call in or Internet check in, no more check stations. Seems most of the deer here have gone nocturnal. See a lot of deer on the game camera but they're all at night. Put out some warm peanut butter and they'll come check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Some seasons I'm lucky to see 5 bucks! And if I'm really lucky, see a buck with a decent rack!

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
About 10 years ago in Pa, we had "antler restrictions and herd reduction " 3 points on a side + lots and lots of doe tags, and our 2 week buck only season become a "deer" season . I cant speak for every where, but some of the public lands I used to wander and hunt in the NE became deerless in just a few short years, by deerless I mean no sightings, no tracks in the snow ,and a lot of long faces on hunters.I own and live on a farm in Bradford co. and once would see 50-100 deer on opening day { no doubt a few repeats } then it became a hunt all day and maybe see 1-3. I and all the neighboring farm/land owners quit on the doe hunting for a few years, that, along with the season for doe being cut from 2 weeks to 1 week, our herd seems back and healthy. I don't think any of us will ever go back to "bonus tags ", I could not ever imagine a season like that here. we'd be critter less.
I'm not too far from you over here in Lackawanna county. When they started the two week doe season here they decimated the herd in a few short years. I used to see 20-30 deer in a day. Now in Lackawanna county you are lucky if you see a deer. What I can't figure out is...we still have a two week deer season after all these years. Sad!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, I'm going Friday morning too. I could kill a lot of deer if I wanted to but I've become more picky in my old age. I killed 5 nice bucks last year and didn't use any of my doe tags or doe days. Saw lots of does and young bucks but let "em" walk. Since I've retired I hope to do lots more layed back morning and evening hunting. I usually hunt from towers the first part of the season and my attire is tee shirt/shorts & tennis shoes. Usually accompanied by a jug of iced tea.
Over the years I've killed deer with handguns/rifles/shotguns/Chevy trucks(expensive) and an axe.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Lever, I used to hunt in thornhurst in Lackawanna Co. when I was a kid, seemed like a deer behind every tree.I will sometimes take a walk up in the old stomping grounds after Christmas to reminisce about hunting with my Dad and uncles. I pulled into the game lands parking lot near there a year or two ago and there was a huge 4x8 sign that read "game commission please stock some deer here " I couldn't believe it could be THAT bad so I take a stroll. I did not cut a single set of deer tracks, and It was a long stroll at that , I still cant believe what I saw, especially when I think back to what it once was.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Going Friday morning myself with my daughter. I usually take no more than 3 deer a year. Some years none, some only one. Three is usually enough to keep us in venison all year. If we run low, the season is long enough you can usually supplement your larder. Last year I took two and my daughter took one, her first.

I've noticed fewer deer, even here in SC. With our long summers and mild winters a doe can have two fawns a year and they often do. But with the increase of coyote populations and other predators the mortality rate for fawns is higher today than it was 20 years ago and the overall deer herd is down. I remember counting deer crossing the powerline cut above our house and you could count 18 to 20 every morning. Now you might see 4 or 5.

Still it's a great state to hunt in with generous limits and nice bucks. My best one last year was a 190# 10 point. Hope his big brother shows up Friday morning! And it's not 95 degrees!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Well we went this morning. Spooked one going in and didn't see a thing from the stand.

But our adventure was just beginning! Walked back to the house and discovered we were locked out by my wife when she went to work. No keys, cell phones or even a pocket knife between the two of us. Well my son was home and should let us in. Forty minutes of banging, pounding, yelling, beating on windows, culminating in my 35 Remington going off under his window sill and still couldn't wake him! We gave up and hiked to the neighbors about half a mile away, leaving the rifles on the porch. 1st neighbor wasn't home so off to the next neighbor who was just a little farther.

She graciously allowed us to use her phone to call both my son (in another futile attempt to wake him up) and my wife, who didn't answer either! (I don't know why I pay for the %&*#@ cell phones when no one answers the things!) My neighbor, pulling out all the the stops of a great neighbor, offered to take us to get the keys from my wife's job 35 MILES AWAY! Well I just couldn't let her inconvenience herself like that but she did wind up taking us to my office in town 9 miles away but only after she ran us back to pick up our rifles off the porch. She was worried about the guns. Not because they were guns, but because they might get scratched up from being stowed in her SUV!

Upon arrival at my office parking lot that's next to the courthouse, my daughter and I climbed from my neighbor's SUV still decked out completely in camo and slung our Marlins over our shoulders. After profusely thanking my super-neighbor, we walked across the parking lot in to the office building still carrying our slung Marlins. Passed the glass windows of other offices and down to our suite almost half the length of the building and nobody even batted an eye! Passed my coworkers and the big surprise to them was I was wearing camo! Leaned the rifles in the corner behind the coat rack, fired up the computer and started working. Heck, I was only 5 minutes late!

Is it any wonder I love small town country living in the Great State of South Carolina! Great neighbors and great communities! Where else but small town USA could you still do this and not have some hysterical anti-gun nut job demanding your arrest or gibbering in terror.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Didn't see anything from the stand this morning. Did have brake to keep from hitting a doe on my driveway going out. Didn't hear any shots either.
Didn't hear but one shot in the morning and two in the evening. Amazingly I heard no shots at all Saturday morning. The bright moon seems to have them going nocturnal is my guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts