Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well thought id throw this up for everyone to enjoy. the end of last season i ended up with two deer and of course two necks(who would have known?). well i had been told that you take the neck and throw it in a crockpot with a bunch of barbaque sause and just let it cook all day. well that one ended up alright, now the other one...
i cooked it up similar to the way they cook briskets in texas, i rubbed the neck down and got the grill nice and hot. seared the neck then smoked it for about 4 hours, then threw it in an oven bag and in the oven. another 3-4 hours later and its done. it turned out great, get some patatos, and make a barbaque patato.

Leftovers can be frozen and pulled later for a quick and easy meal.

·
Registered
702 Posts
yeah I trim out all the 'yellow' and gristle that's easy done. cut it in 2 pieces and crock-pot it or cut into stew meat. to lay over rice.
actually a good piece of meat.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the neck. I think it's about the best roast on a deer.

I cook mine like you would a chuck roast.

Season to taste, sear in a dutch oven then add water to just about cover, about 1 large onion chunked and some salt and plenty of black pepper. Mushrooms are optional but add a lot of flavor. Cook until you can't pick it up without it falling apart. Around about 4 hrs or so usually.

At this point, you can add some taters, carrots etc but I usually don't as it changes the flavor of the gravy and makes it taste like beef stew. Damn good beef stew but I'm talkin' bout roast, not stew eh?

Now, if you want something REALLY good, take that same meat, pull it off the bones in big chunks and place in a foil dish or some dish ya don't care about gettin' all messed up with smoke in your grill. Pour some of the broth over it until it starts coming up between the chunks about half way so the meat stays nice and moist. Put it on your grill or in a smoker with some hickory or mesquite and smoke for about an hour or two or three. Heck, it ain't rocket science, jus' get 'er smoked up good and tasty. MUST be indirect heat so if on the grill, push the coals to one side or only fire up one burner if using gas. Stir now and then while it's going to mix the juices and expose fresh pieces to the smoke. When it tastes good and smokey, take it off. Now, pull it apart like pulled pork, make some sammiches on toasted buns and your favorite BBQ sauce, a little slaw and tater salad on the side with a nice ice cold beer to help it all slide down. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMm!!!!!!

Now that's some good eatin' right thar, I don't care who ya is.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
The neck off of any big game animal is great in the crockpot. :)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Janott said:

The neck off of any big game animal is great in the crockpot. ;D
I couldn't agree more. The one time I went elk hunting, three elk were shot by of our group of five. All the other guys who went were experienced and had been out there before and killed elk but it was my first trip. Every one of them couldn't have cared less about saving the neck meat and claimed it was practically inedible. I was flabbergasted. I'm thinking they were just being lazy about packing it out or something. Looks like you hunt elk, good to hear you like the necks too. We did pack out the necks but they all ended up in burger meat. I'd have loved to slow cook one right there in camp as I described above. Bet they'd never get careless about neck meat again!

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
The neck off an elk will fill two to three crockpots for some very good eating meals, deer wont last as long due to the size and antelope even less but all are a great meal not to be passed up. At the very least they should be de-boned and made in to burger but the best is roast. I have hunted elk all my life and it is what I think about most every day when nothing else is being done. I have shot mostly bull elk in my life but have taken a number of cow elk and last Fall was the first cow I had shot since about 1997 and had only hunted bulls from 98 until last year. Another supply of meat that almost every hunter throws out is off of the cheek, although there is not much it does add to the burger.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I once had a couple of neck steaks a neighbor gave me. The first one I marinated in Italian dressing overnight and grilled it like a steak. It was so tough I couldn't eat it, so I gave it to my neighbors 80 lb Pit Bull. The Pit couldn't eat it either! ;D
I took the other one and threw it in the crock pot for the better part of a day. I then took it out, pulled the meat, and had it with barbecue sauce and it was good that way. So I'm thinking low and slow is the key to making the neck palateble.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
do you guys trim out all the silver skin and yellow stuff and pipes and other stuff? i can't imagine that leaving that all in would be good. i use everything but the hind end and backstraps for jerky meat. i keep hearing the neck is good but never did it yet.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
stubbygun said:
do you guys trim out all the silver skin and yellow stuff and pipes and other stuff? i can't imagine that leaving that all in would be good. i use everything but the hind end and backstraps for jerky meat. i keep hearing the neck is good but never did it yet.
I leave most everything, I might remove heavy fats, but not silver skin as some refer it's actually not even seen after it is cooked. Ever watch meat go in to a grinder at a meat plant, they don't waste anything. Pipes and other stuff? If that is what I think you mean then no, it is removed with the rest of the guts. Neck meat is good eating and is a shame to waste.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I pull the windpipe and anything else that is connected to it but that's about it.

Sear it, slow cook it until it's falling apart, debone and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Yep, neck roast is good stuff. I usually trim 'em up, with the trimmings going in the burger bin or even stew meat.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
The neck meat on my animals will get ground up every time. Trim the meat and junk, separate, grind the good stuff. There is no good way to wrap an neck bone that it will not freezer burn in a short time plus the extra room taken by having bone in the freezer. I guess vacuum sealing would work but I keep things simple.

Papalote

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Papalote said:
The neck meat on my animals will get ground up every time. Trim the meat and junk, separate, grind the good stuff. There is no good way to wrap an neck bone that it will not freezer burn in a short time plus the extra room taken by having bone in the freezer. I guess vacuum sealing would work but I keep things simple.

Papalote
This is a good reason to eat the neck first and cook in a crock pot while it is still fresh. The other good cuts can wait their turn. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts