1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some I saved from the past

Venison recipes

Dark:30

Location: S.E. New Mexico USA Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:19 am Post subject: Chuck wagon chili

My Great Great Grandfather was on four trail drives up from Texas along the Goodnight-Loving Cattle Trail during the mid 1860's early 1870's. http://www.net.westhost.com/trail1.htm He was a drover on his first two drives. After being hurt by a "bad" horse he was signed on as chuck wagon cook for his last two drives. The following recipe for chili was taken from his log book dated 1868.

My Great Great Grandmother wrote in her diary that she updated a few names for things in this Recipes. This recipes for chuck wagon chili is probably one of the oldest and most authentic southwestern chili recipes you will ever find.

Build a large mesquite fire and place setup over fire. Have
plenty of mesquite wood on hand.

8 pounds beef shoulder, cut into thumb sized cubes
4 pound pork shoulder, cut into thumb sized cubes
1 cup beef fat or 1 cup lard
1 cup pork fat or 1 cup bacon grease
4 quarts clear water
12 onions, chopped
24 garlic cloves, minced
16 nacho chilies
8 Jalapeno chilies
4 serrano chilies
24 dried red chilies (long)
4 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
8 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste
6 cups flour

Place flour and meat in sack and shake.

In large heavy cast iron pot. Heat suet and pork fat until almost smoking. Place lightly floured beef and pork into pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions, garlic and cook until onions are clear an limp.

Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chilies.

Remove stems and seeds from chilies and chop very finely. Grind dried red chilies, Mexican oregano and salt in a molcajete.

Add chilies, Mexican oregano and salt mixture to pot. Simmer at least 2 hours.

Remove suet casing and skim off some fat.

Serve chili with tortillas and frijoles.

ADK big buck
Member # 10483 posted 09-04-2003 07:23 PM

Now I know some of you have been eating deer for a long time so hook me up with some good recipes

Posts: 32 | From: long island new york | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged |

DaveLH
Member # 12505 posted 09-04-2003 07:29 PM

My absolute favorite is to roll a tenderloin in spices (I like Prudhomme's meat magic) and grill for about 10 minutes on a hot bed of charcoal till medium rare. I could eat the whole dang thing myself.
http://www.chefpaul.com/

Posts: 52 | From: OH | Registered: Jun 2003 | IP: Logged |

mainer
Member # 6689 posted 09-04-2003 08:03 PM

First remove every speck of the tallow, because it will taint the flavor. Then I just like to fry it over a med. or med. low heat in butter or olive oil until it's done no more than medium. I like beef well done, but that ruins deer or moose. Have fun.

Posts: 573 | From: mid-coast maine usa | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

Big Redhead
Member # 7065 posted 09-04-2003 08:09 PM

There are a couple basic rules to remember when cooking venison: Don't cook too long and don't cook too hot. They both turn tender steak into tough steak. Also, when frying steak, leave room between pieces in the pan so the water that cooks out of the meat can evaporate and doesn't 'boil' the meat. This ruins it too.

STEAK-N-ONIONS - I have a few favorite recipes, but the old standby is steak and onions. Dice 1 medium onion for each pound of meat. Fry the onions in real butter till they begin to get tender. Season both sides steak with salt and pepper (or replace salt with Adolf's meat tenderizer). Cook steak on low-to-medium heat only till it's still pink in the center. Don't forget to leave space between pieces in the pan, and keep that heat down. Serve with mashed potatoes and sweet corn (drool). A GREAT variation on this recipe is to use McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning instead of salt and pepper.

VENISON PARMESAN - Cut 1-1/2 lbs steak into pieces. Pound to tenderize if desired. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. In a bowl combine 1/2 cup dry Italian bread crumbs with 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. In another bowl beat 2 eggs with 1/4 cup water. Dip both sides meat in flour, then egg, then press each side into crumb mixture. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large skillet. Brown meat (coating, actually) quickly on both sides. Place into 13x9x2 baking dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce over each piece. Cover with mozzarella slices. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with gaarlic toast. Yummy.

One more thing: Use half buttermilk and half milk in your mashed potatoes, NEVER water. Also, put some dang salt in them, they need it.

Live well

WyomingArt
Member # 12909 posted 09-04-2003 09:11 PM

You've been given the " secret" to good game meat:

I cook a lot on the grill:
Hot flame, sear the juice inside, cook quickly,
leave it rare. Turn it only once. Serve on a hot plate, deer fat isn't real tasty. Same goes for elk and moose.

Antelope are a different story, makes good pizza sausage though.Just one guy's opinion....
Art/Wyoming

Posts: 2 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

texas336cs
Member # 12894 posted 09-04-2003 09:37 PM

Other than chicken fried backstrap & tenderloins, I also like the hind quarter cooked whole with the bone removed. These Texas bucks are not that big,maybe up North you would use a half of the hindquarter. The "Drill Sargeant" cuts a dozen or so slits in the meat about half way thru. In these she stuffs chopped garlic & chopped onion. We like the Southwest flavor so we use red pepper or chopped jalapeno peppers sprinkled on top. Pour one med. bottle of Italian dressing over the meat,salt & pepper to taste. Place in a slow cooker with 6 or more thick sliced bacon strips on top of the meat& cook for 6 to eight hrs., depending on the size of the meat. Stays juicy & the slow cooking makes it tender. The one thing we ALWAYS do with all wild game is soak (marinate) it in salted water in the fridge for 12 hours before cooking. Takes out the blood which is what causes the gamey taste. Rinse with cold water before cooking.

Posts: 86 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2003 | IP: Logged |

RIFLEMANZ
Member # 6725 posted 09-04-2003 09:45 PM

I enjoy cooking roasts in a crock pot for 8hrs.The meat melts in your mouth.
1 crock pot
1 large roast-all fat removed
1 LGE onion
5 LGE potatoes quartered
1 LB carrots diced
1 LGE can beef broth
1 can stewed tomatoes
salt
pepper
Cook on low 8 hrs

--------------------
My 4570 is my best friend!
NRA Member

Posts: 1002 | From: Packer country WI | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged |

fuudog
Member # 12868 posted 09-04-2003 10:36 PM

Don't know if this is the best, but it's simple and good.
DEER STROGANOFF (sp)
Buy package of beef stoganoff mix (read package for amount of meat) BUY second package, cause this stuff is real good and you'll either have to eat alone or you'll have some real mad friends/family cause you didn't make enough.
Cube meat 1 inch, and soak in milk 3 hours, then drain.
Mix in deep banking dish package, can of mushroom soup, NO more than HALF the liquid package calls for, finally chop one medium onion, 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic, fresh ground pepper not too much. Then add meat, stir together. Seal dish real good and tight with aluminum foil to hold in moisture. Bake at 350 deg. for about 1 hr and 15 minutes (depends alittle on depth of dish and quantity follow package instructions).
Serve over bed of pasta with lots of parmesean cheese, and two bottles of merlot.

Posts: 31 | From: K.C. Mo. | Registered: Jul 2003 | IP: Logged |

EAGLE EYE 444
Member # 8855 posted 09-04-2003 10:53 PM

I sure am getting hungry now!!!

For several years now, we have "cubed" our venison and I make sure that all fat is removed before cutting and cubing. We wash all of our venison very carefully with cold water before putting it in the cooler to age a few days. After cubing, we can freeze packages @ -10 degrees for up to a couple of years if necessary. Even then, when we thaw out the meat, we soak it in regular milk (2%) overnight and then take it out and cover it in a layer of mixed flour, salt, pepper. Then after flouring, we put the steaks into hot frying pan of grease and cook on medium for a few minutes and turn over only once. After cooking the steaks, we can also drain the grease and make gravy by adding flour, milk, salt, and pepper into the hot pan and stiring until a thick gravy is achieved. The steaks are so tender that they will melt in your mouth. I think that the secret is soaking the meat in the milk overnight and it also takes out the "gamey" taste.

Serve the steaks with gravy, mashed potatoes, english peas, corn, sliced tomatoes, biscuits. Man, I got to go find something to eat for my late night snack tonight. I will tell my other recipe later.

--------------------
My Father Was A Pistol And I'm a Son Of A Gun......LEWIS GRIZZARD

Posts: 377 | From: Georgia, USA. | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged |

Mojo^
Member # 11790 posted 09-04-2003 11:25 PM

I like to take one of the hams and poke several holes in it. Rub it down good with course ground salt and pepper and place it in a roasting pan which has had several strips of bacon placed in the bottom. I use one of those old style blue enameled roasting pans. Layer strips of bacon on top of the ham and add about 4 cups of water with a little Liquid Smoke along with 3 or 4 beef bullion cubes to the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan and bake on low heat (125 degrees) for about 8 hours basting the ham about every 30 minutes or so. The trick is to make sure you cook it slow and baste often so it doesn't dry out. You can add onions, carrots and potatoes towards the last 2 hours if you like. When its cooked through remove from the oven and place the ham on a platter. Remove the bacon and shread the meat off the bone with a fork. Mix with your favorite BBQ sauce and enjoy some of the best BBQ you've ever tasted. Oh yeah, did I mention to make sure you have plenty of ice cold beer handy?

Posts: 45 | From: Bonaire, Georgia USA | Registered: Apr 2003 | IP: Logged |

tubbythetuba
Member # 9830 posted 09-05-2003 01:09 AM

Last two I just ground up everything except the ribs and backstrap into 5 to 1 and froze it up in 2lb packs. I liked trying different sausage spices in them. This was a long time ago in IND.......have not had the pleasure of WA blacktail....YET!

--------------------
Gun Control Means Using Only One Shot

A Fellow Should Believe In Something, So I Believe I'll Go Shooting

That Sound Ya Hear When Ya Walk Into The Woods Is Deer Laughing

Posts: 747 | From: Puyallup, WA..98374 | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged |

Big Redhead
Member # 7065 posted 09-05-2003 06:26 AM

Don't forget about canning. Canned venison is delicious, non-perishable, and ready to eat. Just cube venison 1 inch, pack raw in jars no more than 1 inch from the top, add 1 tsp salt per quart (1/2 per pint), add 1 slice small onion 1/4 inch thick, seal jars, and pressure cook at 10 lbs for 90 minutes. Do not add any liquid because the meat already has all it needs. When done it tastes much like beef. All the tallow floats to the top of the jar during cooking and congeals [sp] when cool so it can easily be removed in 1 chunk when opened. This meat served over mashed spuds is my family's favorite meal. Also good on bread (open face) with barbeque sauce (nuke it 1 minute).

Live well.

J-Train
Member # 10369 posted 09-05-2003 09:49 AM

Gosh, I'm hungry all of a sudden! Here's my simple cubesteak recipe for venison: cut the cubed meat into 1" wide strips, then coat with mustard. Dredge in flour with salt & pepper, then fry in hot oil until golden. After tasting your first bite you will burn your tongue eating it straight out of the grease, because you won't be able to wait until it cools. You don't taste the mustard, by the way.

This recipe is also great for fish fillets, only substitute 1/2 and 1/2 cornmeal and flour for the flour. Again, the mustard taste is gone. Try it..it'll make a puppy pull a freight train!

Posts: 25 | From: Greenwood, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged |

HowdyCholla
Member # 9398 posted 09-05-2003 10:46 AM

This is my hunting pardner's wife's recipe:
Venison Pate
Season a sholder roast with black pepper, garlic poeder, grown ginger, rosemary, thyme, and Lowry's seasoned salt. Brown sholder in large roasting pan, seal tightly and bake at 325% for 3 1/2 hours. This can be done a day ahead of time. When well done, bone and grind in meat grinder or food processor.
Add pickle relish to taste, 3/4 jar (Small) light Mayo, crushed red pepper to taste, several splashes of Kikkoman lite soy sauce, and 1 tsp. of dill weed. Mix well and mold before serving. Serve with crackers. Wow I could eat the whole thing, it is so good!
Now go shoot something!!! Howdy

Posts: 82 | From: Pooler, Ga. USA | Registered: Nov 2002 | IP: Logged |

WyoTom
Member # 11904 posted 09-05-2003 11:09 AM

These all sound good - I'll have to try sometime. A lot of recipies seem intended to get rid of or mask the "wild" taste with lots of seasonings or marination. My philosophy is that there should be no wild taste if utmost care is exercised from the time the animal is field dressed to the time it gets into the freezer - then you will get the true flavor of the particular meat. I don't particularly like the flavor of mule deer, so I stopped hunting them - didn't matter where I got them - mountain woodland, lowland hay meadow or in-between - they all tasted like "deer".

I have to agree with WyomingArt's "secret" - that is cook on a grill, seal in the juices and leave it rare (or medium rare), but I have a slightly different technique:

Deer, elk or antelope all the same. I do all my own butchering so I maintain control of the quality and the cuts. I trim away all the fat and as much tallow and connective tissue that I can before wrapping. As opposed to making "chops", I leave the muscles whole and if necessary, cut them into big chunks 1-3 lbs depending on the size of meal I want, with the grain oriented in the long direction.

For cooking, I apply salt and pepper only and put the slab on the grill whole. Start at high heat to lighly sear on all sides to seal in the juices, then reduce heat. Turn repeatedly to maintain even internal cooking and avoid burning the surface. Remove from heat at rare stage. It helps to let it stand on a plate with foil covering for up to 20 minutes to let it "firm up". It will continue to cook slightly after removal from the fire, so take that into consideration.

A Bernaise sauce goes great with elk. Bernaise sauce is simply Hollandais sauce (butter, egg yolk and lemon juice), with some finely chopped onion, crushed terragon and chervil leaves and a little cooking sherry. It's tricky to make becasue the oil from the butter can curdle with the egg if you heat it too fast (follow a recipe). Do the hollandais part first, then add onion and herbs and then sherry at the very end. Slather it on your baked potato and broccoli too.

Posts: 28 | From: Laramie, WY, USA | Registered: Apr 2003 | IP: Logged |

CedarCreek
Member # 11557 posted 09-05-2003 04:54 PM

Chicken-fried steaks- grind some coarse for soup & chili and grind the rest mixed with a little beef tallow for hamburger. My daughter is 15 and says she doesn't eat deer meat. She eats spaghetti about once a week at home made with ground deer meat most of the time and she can't tell the difference.

CedarCreek

--------------------
A good plan put into action is better than a great plan that is never acted upon.

Posts: 147 | From: Anadarko, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged |

CedarCreek
Member # 11557 posted 09-05-2003 04:56 PM

I forgot about some I had at a friend's house a couple years ago. His daughter used ground deer meat, made thin patties, rolled them in batter and chicken-fried them. Good Stuff!

CedarCreek

--------------------
A good plan put into action is better than a great plan that is never acted upon.

Posts: 147 | From: Anadarko, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged |

lethal35R
Member # 8077

Posted by Big Redhead, May 2002

Don't forget about canning. Canned venison is delicious, non-perishable, and ready to eat. Just cube venison 1 inch, pack raw in jars no more than 1 inch from the top, add 1 tsp salt per quart (1/2 per pint), add 1 slice small onion 1/4 inch thick, seal jars, and pressure cook at 10 lbs for 90 minutes. Do not add any liquid because the meat already has all it needs. When done it tastes much like beef. All the tallow floats to the top of the jar during cooking and congeals [sp] when cool so it can easily be removed in 1 chunk when opened. This meat served over mashed spuds is my family's favorite meal. Also good on bread (open face) with barbeque sauce (nuke it 1 minute).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had venison steak today. Just 4 pieces about the size of a half dollar and about 3/4" thick. Put it in the fry pan with onions and butter. Really good. Have a very small venison roast to cook next. Don't know if I'll put it in a "Dutch Oven" in the oven or on the stovetop or put it in the Slow cooker? Think the Slow cooker may get the job along with a few pork chops and vegetables added for more flavor. :D

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Here's the way I cook my deer at camp.
Cut the backstrap into small pieces about 4" long, and 1" square. Season with your favorite spices. Don't add any salt, as the bacon will do that for you. Spiral wrap with a slice of bacon, and secure it with toothpicks. Put it on a small propane BBQ, and brown the bacon. Turning it until it's brown on each side.
That's it. Fast and great tasting! The bacon keeps the deer from drying out, or over cooking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts