Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
One of my camping staples is clam spaghetti. The recipe is on the cans.

3/4-1 stick butter for every two cans
black pepper and minced garlic to taste
a shake of two of salt
parsley--fresh or dried
I like to add red pepper flakes also

An appropriate amount of spaghetti or shaped pasta for the group.

Heat it to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with toast and a salad.

It's about one can of clams per person. I like to use half chopped and half minced cans of clams.
I'd steer away from the canned whole clams, they tend to be bitter.

It's easy, fast, takes little space, and needs no refrigeration for the ingredients.

As long as everyone like clams...

Reactions: 10acres and mikom

·
Registered
75 Posts
11-05-17 imports 571.jpg Deer camp for me has always been primitive camping in the National Forest, no water or electricity so we had to be as efficient as possible. Over the years dinner evolved into-
a meat on the grill,
a can of sweet corn and a can of string beans mixed in the same pot. keep the juice from the corn, pour off the juice from the string beans. season as desired.
a jar of apple sauce chilled in the cooler.

Quick and easy, if you use paper plates the dishes used is one pot that is easy to wash, one large spoon and 3-4 forks. When you have to haul your own water you want to keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Redhawk,like the goulash recipe but,if I served anything garnished with parsley at deer camp I wouldn't be here today!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Redhawk,like the goulash recipe but,if I served anything garnished with parsley at deer camp I wouldn't be here today!
Hahaha...I hear ya...that's the "keep the wife happy" recipe. I did add that it's optional....and...you can also leave out the seasoned Salt...its not necessary either.

redhawk

Reactions: mikom

·
Registered
174 Posts
A buddy and I have camped for a week during muzzleloader season the past 3 years. We won't be able to do it this year due to unforeseen circumstances. We had gotten to the place where evening meals were pre-cooked and frozen. We would lay a meal out of the ice in an empty cooler before a morning hunt and it would be thawed enough to warm over the fire or over propane stove at the end of the day. We had fajitas, smoked ribs, smoked sausage and vegetables, etc. One of my favorites is a big hit at my house.

Mix 2 lbs ground venison and 1 lb ground wild hog (can substitute ground beef and ground pork if wild game is not available)
knead the following into the meat mix:
2 TBSP ground black pepper
2 TBSP Kosher salt
2 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP celery seasoning (not celery salt)
1 TSP cumin

knead until well mixed and roll into golf ball sized meatballs
Brown meatballs in large skillet with 1 tbsp bacon grease and pan spray as needed - Brown on all sides - move meatballs to crock pot as they are browned

Once all meatballs are browned (3 lbs of meat usually makes around 70-80 golf ball sized meatballs) use the same skillet to make gravy

Gravy recipe - Add 6 cups water to the large skillet with meat drippings from meatballs. Bring to medium heat and add 2 packages of brown gravy mix and 2 packages of onion soup mix. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.
I stir with a whisk as I slowly add each packet to be sure there are no clumps in the gravy.

Once gravy mix has boiled for a couple of minutes, pour over meatballs in crock pot.

Slice 1 medium onion and 1 lb of portobello mushrooms into 1/4" slices. I prefer to slice my onion in half top to bottom, then slice "wedges" about 1/4" thick from top to bottom- I'm a texture freak...
Brown mushrooms and onions in a mix of 1 tsp bacon grease and 1 TBSP butter until onions are translucent and mushrooms are no longer white.
Add mushrooms and onions to crock pot.
Slow cook pre-cooked ingredients on low for at least 4-6 hours. At home, serve straight from the crock pot. For camp cooking, chill or freeze cooked recipe and thaw the morning before eating that evening.
My family loves this served over mashed potatoes. I like it over wild rice.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We keep it real basic usually. Potatoes, eggs, bacon, spam, onions, venison jerky, water, beer, lots of butter... My buddy's wife pre made some chilly last year and we just warmed it up one night. Usually bring some back straps if we had already taken a deer earlier in the season ( we camp out during early Nov., muzzle loader season).

·
Premium Member
11,555 Posts
Just returned from a week long trip through northern Idaho with some good buddies. We moved camp every night, so there was no way to set up much of a kitchen. I just relied on my Coleman stove. Cooked for my oldest son and myself. We ate well.

Chicken fajitas are a camp favorite. Spicy, tasty, easy & fast to cook, easy to clean up:

Ka-bobs are great, but there seems to be a lot of prep time involved. I'll make 'em at home, then cook 'em in camp over a low fire. Then serve with rice. I use minute rice a lot on our camping/hunting trips. Quick, easy and filling. Flavor it however you'd like:

Breakfast Scramble in camp:

Ya, I do most of my camp cooking on a skillet. Fast & easy and don't get complaints when I'm cooking! :)

On this last trip, I did make chili at home, then put it in a Rubbermaid container, and just re-heated it one night. YUM.

Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Lodge rocks, I have a 12 inch skillet and their sportsman's stove.
I've got about 15 pieces of Lodge cast for home and camping, some old and some new. I picked up a 10" square grill pan yesterday for $10.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just returned from a week long trip through northern Idaho with some good buddies. We moved camp every night, so there was no way to set up much of a kitchen. I just relied on my Coleman stove. Cooked for my oldest son and myself. We ate well.

Chicken fajitas are a camp favorite. Spicy, tasty, easy & fast to cook, easy to clean up:

Ka-bobs are great, but there seems to be a lot of prep time involved. I'll make 'em at home, then cook 'em in camp over a low fire. Then serve with rice. I use minute rice a lot on our camping/hunting trips. Quick, easy and filling. Flavor it however you'd like:

Breakfast Scramble in camp:

Ya, I do most of my camp cooking on a skillet. Fast & easy and don't get complaints when I'm cooking! :)

On this last trip, I did make chili at home, then put it in a Rubbermaid container, and just re-heated it one night. YUM.

Guy
[SUB][/SUB]
Those Coleman stoves are great to have. I have my old one still, but it just doesn't get used anymore, since I bought a Camp Chef two burner propane stove and a dutch oven.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm making some heartburn waiting to happen,dreading the next day chili right now. Supposed to be sunny on Sunday and get the guns sighted in for rifle season. Best part,Detroit Lions aren't playing will be relaxed!

Reactions: vt4ster and M700

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We eat pretty good in our deer camp.

We have discovered it's easier to prepare most of our food in advance (sausage gravy, biscuits, chili, ham and beans) and just heat it up when you want it. With the exception of grilling steak the night before opening day. It also keeps a lot of cooking smells off your clothing.

If your food only needs to be reheated you have more time to hunt!

DRSLYR

·
Banned
6 Posts
Hotdogs and chili. Chicken wings. Canned sardines and smoked oysters. Lunch meat sandwiches with onions and mustard. Fried fish. Liver and onions when someone scores a deer. Several beers after supper.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hotdogs and chili. Chicken wings. Canned sardines and smoked oysters. Lunch meat sandwiches with onions and mustard. Fried fish. Liver and onions when someone scores a deer. Several beers after supper.
Forgot about smoked oysters and sardines. I've always got a few of those too 👍👍

Reactions: mikom

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Sorry guys and gals for the late response, been at Disney World this past week with the wife and kids. KG, thanks for the message, I'll be looking into those. M700, fajitas are on the menu, but I plan using deer cube steak by tearing it into strips and frying it up. DRSLYR, in the past, I've took down chili that my wife has cooked and froze. Preparing food in advance does make for quick meals. JMAG54, one can only handle so much Spam.... All of these are great ideas for camp. BTW, I did forget to mention that we do have electricity at camp. One of the guys going down is a member on here, and I have directed him to check out this thread to see if he like anything in particular. Again, thanks for all of the responses!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts