Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ladies and gentlemen, deer camp is coming up in a few months for me and a few friends. I'm looking for some good recipes for lunch and supper. I have a propane stove to cook with in the ole airstream or I can do a camp fire. I don't have a dutch oven as of yet. We are planning a 6 day trip. One of these nights will be eating at a small local mexican restaurant as it has become a new tradition. Again, any good food ideas will be appreciated. Most of us are not picky when it comes to food. Thanks in advance. Bird Dog

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
In our camp( we had electricity) the crock pot or slow cooker was a great tool. Load it up with meat, vegetables and seasoning in the morning and dinner was ready when everyone returned at the end of the day. Pasta, ground meat or sausage and tomato sauce also is an easy quick way to feed a bunch of hungry hunters.We also would splurge and bbque steaks one night. At deer camp, everything tasted great.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Our deer camp everyone made a dinner.Mine specialty was to cook 10lbs of corned beef w/redskins,cabbage,onion,carrots and whatever else I felt like throwing in.I would cook it in my stainless turkey fryer pot the at home.Take to camp reheat on tripod over campfire. After a boiled dinner,we would have corned beef stew for lunches for a coupe days.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
My wife makes an awesome venison salisbury steak with cream of mushroom soup. Easy to make and clean up after.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
I like steak for one meal but in my little mind as I think back on all the delicious meals I have eaten in deer camp I think I enjoy a good think meat and potatoe stew with hot sauce and cornbread. Yummy. The following day it seems to taste better than it did the day before.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well, don't shoot me. We like to do one lunch featuring fried SPAM sandwiches.
:dito:.... What Mark said.

We eat a lot of SPAM at our cabin during deer season. Fried SPAM and eggs in the morning. SPAM sandwiches for lunch. And a plus... it does help keep one regular.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hot chili is always a welcome meal after sitting in a cold deer blind. Fix up a few batches ahead of time and freeze them. Easy to thaw and tastes great reheated.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Look up Cowboy Baked beans by Kent Rollins. My phone is acting weird or I would attach the link. I’ve made them in a pot on the stove and they were fantastic. Cut up some hotdogs into 1” pieces and put them in and you have a great franks and beans meal. I use about half of the chili’s in Adobe sauce that he calls for. If you had electric the slow cooker is the way to go for meals. I make some slow cooker fajitas and start them before the evening hunt and they are done when we get back. My kids fonder themselves on them.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Another favorite was a ton of beef short ribs in the same pot with a bunch of garlic cloves, onion and water. We had a wood fired 55 gallon drum with a grate on top,let it cook all day,take out and throw on a grill over the fire. Cover with BBQ sauce. Can't wait for camp.

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Portuguese sausage and cabbage soup.
Simple to make.
1 head of cabbage.
2lbs carrots.
1lb onions.
3lbs taters.
2lbs linguisa or a good polish sausage.
Garlic red pepper to your tastes.
Salt and pepper to your tastes.
Dash of paprika for taste and color use hot if you want i like smoked.
Chicken broth or boullion.
Add everything but the cabbage and 2lbs of taters into a big pot.
Sautee then add broth and water to cover.
Cut the rest of the taters into bite size pieces add for the last 45 minutes
I leave the cabbage in bigger chunks and cook for 15 minutes.
It will take about 2.5 to 3hrs total but it is good.
Even better the next day.
Traditionally it would be kale or another green but i like cabbage.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You GOTTA get a Dutch oven!
Short recipe is Pot roast, onions, potatoes, and carrots. Put it all in the Dutch oven in the ground, surround with coals and about a 1/2" or so of loose soil and head to the woods.
At O'dark-thirty when you come in famished, just lift it out's the ground, brush off the dirt and ashes and dig in. You can sop up the juices with bread of biscuits. Yummmm!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You GOTTA get a Dutch oven!
Short recipe is Pot roast, onions, potatoes, and carrots. Put it all in the Dutch oven in the ground, surround with coals and about a 1/2" or so of loose soil and head to the woods.
At O'dark-thirty when you come in famished, just lift it out's the ground, brush off the dirt and ashes and dig in. You can sop up the juices with bread of biscuits. Yummmm!

WYT-P
Skyhunter
i agree, if there is no electric the Dutch oven/camp oven is the way to go. I use my Lodge camp ovens when I camp and sometimes at the house. I love cooking with my Lodge cast iron.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I believe anything with beans and/or cabbage is a BAD idea at hunting camp. You end up spending more time in the can (or squatting under a tree) then one cares to.

How about a nice Americanized Hungarian Goulash....Americanized because it replaces the potatoes/turnips/rutabagas with elbow noodles. Its a great comfort food on a gold winter night too.

redhawk

I was on a different computer last night...here is the recipe.

Enjoy!!!

American Goulash is an easy old-fashioned comforting meal that is perfect for the cold winter months. Everything cooks in the same pot, even the pasta!
Ingredients
· 2 pounds ground beef
· 2 Medium onions, diced
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 3 cups water
· 1 tablespoon beef base (or bouillon)
· 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
· 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (one petite diced) - drained
· 3 bay leaves
· 3 tablespoons soy sauce
· 1 tablespoon Seasoned salt
· 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
· 3 teaspoons paprika (sweet Hungarian paprika)
· ½ teaspoon black pepper
· 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles, uncooked
· 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
· Fresh Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
Instructions
1. Brown ground beef in a large stock pot. Remove from pan and drain. Leave about 1-2 tablespoons grease in pan. Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat until tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
2. Return ground beef to pot along with the water, beef base, cans of tomatoes and sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, paprika, and black pepper. Stir together, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the noodles, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until al dente. Stir occasionally to prevent noodles from sticking to the bottom.
4. Just before serving, stir in the cheese. Serve garnished with fresh parsley.

NOTE: it can be made ahead of time...but don't include the pasta until you're ready to serve it....they get mushy if you add the pasta ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts