Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 1894c in .357 that I plan to use mainly on deer.
Due to lack of good hunting ammo in the stores I have to start reloading.
I was planning to use Hornady XTP, should I use 158 or 180gr ?
Are there much differense in trajectory between these bulletweights when loaded hot?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Our previous resident expert, Jerry Lester would prefer the Remington 158 Soft point over anything else. No hollow points (Remington). The Hornady 158 HP should serve you well. You'll get maximum velocity with Little Gun at 19gr. of so which is one gr. over max for Hodgdon, but has been pressure tested by Brian Pierce. The 180's do not do the cartridge justice unless you''re going to try hard cast of which I have some experience. They work very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr. A said:
Our previous resident expert, Jerry Lester would prefer the Remington 158 Soft point over anything else. No hollow points (Remington). The Hornady 158 HP should serve you well. You'll get maximum velocity with Little Gun at 19gr. of so which is one gr. over max for Hodgdon, but has been pressure tested by Brian Pierce. The 180's do not do the cartridge justice unless you''re going to try hard cast of which I have some experience. They work very well.
Thanks.

wreckhog said:
I think that it would be far easier to order one box of JSP loads than to start reloading.
I wish I could but it seems like it aint a option.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I've had great success with the Winchester 145gr Silvertips. But all my sources for those have pretty much dried up to the point that I'm wondering if they are still being made as component bullets. The Speer Gold Dots have worked great for me in my 44-40 as well, so I'm looking at those in a 357 flavor as well. The XTP is a good bullet, I just like the others better.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The 158 will be fine. While the 180 will certainly pack a bigger wallop, you probably will run into OAL isues.
As you probably know, OAL is critical in a levergun. You can run a heavier bullet, but you'll have to either modify the carrier or trim the cases. Or you may be able to seat the bullet a little bit deeper. The problem with case trimming or changing the seat depth is it tends to throw reloading info out the window.
The reduced case volume has a tendancy to greatly increase pressure and while a load certainly can be developed for a smaller case, (Hornady Leverevolution is an example) it will take quite a bit of time and experimentation, which you may not be willing to do. If you are, then go for it. Or do the carier mod, there's detailed instructions in the "Gunsmithing" stickies, and it's easy to do.
But if you're looking for the simplest solution, load up the 158's. They'll kill a deer just as dead as a 180, provided you do your part.
I personally use 158 gr cast RNFP on top of 13.5 gr AA#9. It did a great job on the pig I got this weekend. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to chrony the load.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
GH1 said:
The 158 will be fine. While the 180 will certainly pack a bigger wallop, you probably will run into OAL isues.
As you probably know, OAL is critical in a levergun. You can run a heavier bullet, but you'll have to either modify the carrier or trim the cases. Or you may be able to seat the bullet a little bit deeper. The problem with case trimming or changing the seat depth is it tends to throw reloading info out the window.
The reduced case volume has a tendancy to greatly increase pressure and while a load certainly can be developed for a smaller case, (Hornady Leverevolution is an example) it will take quite a bit of time and experimentation, which you may not be willing to do. If you are, then go for it. Or do the carier mod, there's detailed instructions in the "Gunsmithing" stickies, and it's easy to do.
But if you're looking for the simplest solution, load up the 158's. They'll kill a deer just as dead as a 180, provided you do your part.
I personally use 158 gr cast RNFP on top of 13.5 gr AA#9. It did a great job on the pig I got this weekend. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to chrony the load.
Keep us updated if you do get a chance to chrony your 13.5 AA#9 load, thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can't say enough good about the Remington 158gr JSP. I've killed a few deer with it but my wife has taken quite a few deer using it. 17grs of W296 gives her 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and kills deer very nicely.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
A friend of mine uses the same loading set up as 44LVR and it seems to work extremely well..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Have not taken any game with mine yet and have heard good things about useing the 158 xtp but mine seems to like the 180 xtp better.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Rice-n-Beans said:
Keep us updated if you do get a chance to chrony your 13.5 AA#9 load, thanks.
Will do. It'll probably be a month or so, seeing how my reloading gear was damaged by the rainwater that came into my house after the 80 MPH winds tore some shingles off. :mad: But that's a story for another time. ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 357 Mag in a lever gun - BUT - I would say the Hornady XTP would be a great choice.

Here is a picture of a 250 grain XTP fired from my 45 Colt 1894 at 1665 fps into a dirt hillside at 25 yards.

It expanded to 1.10" in diameter and retained 100% of it's original weight.

If the 357 bullet is built as tough as the .452" bullet, I'm betting your going to have meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My brother uses .45 caliber 300 grain XTP's in his muzzle loader. Everything he hits with it just dies on the spot. Very impressive bullets.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I used Hornady leverevolution 140gr FTX. I put 2 deer down, each with one shot, this year at 50 and 75 yards. They made an impressive hole.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hornady makes good bullets, no doubt. I got a spike last year using a 290 gr FTX out of a .50 cal muzzleloader, and it was devastating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I have to shoot a some to produce some brass to reload ;D

The 158gr XTP is first on the try list.
I see it comes in both FP AND HP version, what version should I buy?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have .357 dies, but for deer (not a whole lot of ammo used) I just buy from Buffalo Bore. My current stock is the cast 180, but the 158s are said by some to be even better. Jack

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
tnt85 said:
Now I have to shoot a some to produce some brass to reload ;D

The 158gr XTP is first on the try list.
I see it comes in both FP AND HP version, what version should I buy?
I would buy the FP for deer.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
I've had great success with the Winchester 145gr Silvertips. But all my sources for those have pretty much dried up to the point that I'm wondering if they are still being made as component bullets.
Just checked Midway a bit ago and they have the Silvertips again. But they sure are pricey now from what I bought my last batch a few years ago. And they're out of my second choice of Gold Dots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts