Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have discussed deer loads(wt) and black bear loads 200-350 pound range close shots 60 yards or less. I have the following, Speer 300 gr hp, Hornady 350 gr. sp and the Nosler ballistic silvertip 300 gr. These are all loaded with 47.5 grains of Reloader 7. I hunt in the Adirondack Mts. and can encounter either, are these loads sufficiant for both of the game animals? This load is very accurate in my marlin cowboy rifle

·
Registered
194 Posts
On a perfect hunt you will get a broadside shot at a Bear. Never hit heavy bone (if you don't want to) and you will never have to go into heavy brush to find a wounded Bear. In this case any of the three bullets would be fine. How sure is anyone of a perfect hunt? I know from experience that the 350 grain Hornady will break both shoulders and exit on a Black Bear at 45-70 velocity. I have heard good things about the 300 Speer HP but have never used it. The Speer gets good penetrating from what I have heard and may work very well.
The Nosler ballistic Silvertip ? 300 grain I have not heard much about it so I will not comment on it. I use the Hornady bullet and it kills quick, always with a exit hole. I find hollow points more suited for handguns.

Domenic

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
KUP,

The Nosler 300 gr BST is a pretty robust bullet.
I recovered this bullet from a WT at 70 yds after penetrating about 26" of deer. The MV is 2050 fps.

JD338

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have used the Speer 300 uni cor with 50 gr of Reloader7 with complete satisfaction. I believe its a second only to the Nosler Partition of which I have about 60 hidden away. I have no idea abouts Noslers new offering but has much has I like partitions I feel hohum about their new bullet.
I also feel that for your use you don't need more than 300 grs of bullet but there ar plenty of folks that don't agree with me.
Remember the 45/90 was loaded with a 300 gr and made a good name for itself at alot lower velocity than your load.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts