Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Deer Cane is a supplement, not a "bait" such as corm, molasses, peanut butter, etc.

I use it with and around my mineral lick area. They do come in!

As suggested on the product it is best used in a secluded area. Meaning low activity, including human.

I put mine away from and on the way to my feeder in a thicker area off the main trail.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Many attractant work. Beware of using peanut butter or molasses in bear country you are likely to attract them more than deer. There use to be a company named DR. JOEL'S. I think he maybe be out of business now. He had an attractant made from the deer's interdigital gland. This stuff if applied to a drag on your boot was awesome. Deer that would cross your trail would follow it. I use to take a clean pair of socks and cut 2 inch bands. I would slip one on my foot and saturate it with the liquid. I have watched deer follow me to my stand licking the ground where the sock touched. I found that I could not use this product while hunting on the ground. Deer that crossed the Oder or my path would follow me to my location. I've been busted many times like that and had deer blow in my ear from 3 ft away. Try some and see which product works best for you. I have used several Tink's product without any measurable success but the kinds alleged to be made from interdigital glands worked best for me. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE. Once I left a bottle of it in my coveralls. When I washed them the bottle busted in the dryer. Man that's a smell that will get you in some serious trouble with your misses.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I am going to use corn anyways but never used anything else. I wasn't even tracking the peanut butter thing.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Mom warms up some PB and Molasses and mixes them together. When we get ready to head out we'll warm the mixture up in the microwave and pour it on a stump, wipe some trees and/or just leave the jar on the ground with the lid off. That warm smell carries for a long ways. Another thing I like to use is the foot and handwarmers. Put some molasses on 'em when you open the package and the heat will keep em warm for a while. Tie it in a tree and catch 'em sniff'n at it. It's thick where I been hunting so we have to get creative to get 'em to stick their heads out.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Not what was asked for, but a different attractant, especially for scrape drippers, cheap homemade scent in quantity. I collect the tarsals, and bladder contents (if able), put in quart mason jar with 50% moonshine (grain alcohol) 50 sterile spring water, in frig. Keep the tarsals from deer taken on one property in on jar, and other properties in other jars. Any way believe when used, the deer sometimes come around looking for their lost buddies, or the new dominant buck upset the old guy is back in town.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I've never seen anything work better than a chain saw, but they upset "traditional" hunters for sure.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Presumably you're all talking about states where it's legal to bait deer? It isn't everywhere....

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I was going to say a chain saw or a tractor. I always have them come around when bushogging on the tractor
I agree. A friends dad and co-workers used to operate heavy equipment, and would take their rifles to work when deer season was open. Must sound like a food processor to them :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
They can be immensely curious. Mostly the does. Seldom has a buck come out when brush hogging. An old sage once told me he would light a small fire and if any does where in the area it would draw them in.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A fresh pile of dirt, dump truck size will attract deer. I have seen as many as 3 deer standing on top of a pile of dirt before. I guess they like to play king of the hill too.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Has anyone used a deer attractant ( deer cane) and had any effects with it?
We use deer cane around here. Soybean, millet, peanut butter ... they'll get eaten by the pigs, ***** and squirrels in a hurry. We use them but within a very short window of the hunt. But salt and mineral blocks, as well as deer cane, we put-out under shelter to keep the rain from leeching it all into the sand, from August to January, and they really seem to like the deer cane.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When it is your wife or girlfriends time of the month ask her to save them (female things) in a plastic bag for you. Pick a suitable spot and make a scrape on the ground and put one in the scrape and hang another from the branch above. It attracts buck. The fresher the better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts