Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. Just a heads up here. I just got hired as a deckhand for Marathon in Catlettsburg, KY. They are hiring another group of trainees starting May 29th. This is the date they should start posting it. Just go to the website

http://www.marathon.com/careers/

You stay on the river for 28 days and then you get off 28 days. The pay is pretty good starting out, but you will be making really good money within a couple years. Benefits are fantastic. Also, you may not need to relocate. They have guys that drive 7-8 hours to work. No big deal, since you only have to drive it about once a month. You also may be able to work it out to where you start/end your hitches in a remote location.

It's a good job, but not for everyone. Of course, there is also a lot of room for advancement...most of which don't require being away from home. You could work as a deckhand for a couple years then move to the harbor boats, training, refinery, etc.

The hiring process is tough. Lots of testing, drug tests, physicals (EKG, hearing, vision), physical agility test, etc. Just a warning up front. If you really think you are interested, but prepared to be put through the wringer. Once you're in, the job ain't too bad at all.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Don't see nothing posted yet; but thanks for the link. I've been looking for a job on a tow boat. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I'm breaking the news before it even gets posted, LOL! Ingram, Marquette, AEP, and Crounse have also been doing some hiring recently, if I heard correctly. You may check with them, too. Another place of interest would be Superior Marine, Inc. Although not a transport company, they do refinishing/repair work on the barge containers and may be doing some hiring soon.

Marathon's deckhand positions should be online on or around May 29th.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thanks for the info. Have applied with Marquette,AEP,Ingram and Campbell. Haven't heard anything yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts