Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta find something else...I prefer hand tools (quality over quantity)

The RCBS chamfer/deburring tool I have is worn out and its a tad small for the 45acp/45-70...I have seen these tools for calibers up to .60". The RCBS units are imported these days (mine is old and has served me well, but I know from a friends experience that they new ones are not the same)

Lyman makes one that I'm looking at...anybody know how long they last? (as in stay sharp)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyma...burring+tool&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've used one like that for 10 years or so and many thousand rounds. I can't offer an opinion on how long one will stay sharp but the one I have looks and feels like it is carbide and shows no sign of losing its edge. I don't know about the currently made units though.

I am sure of one thing though! You don't want to let it roll off the bench and hit you in the center of either big toe :eek:. No sir!

EDIT> After looking at the Lyman tool you linked to more closely, I went down an pulled mine out of the drawer. Mine is an RCBS product and has a knurled ring around the center similar to the Wilson models Wind referenced.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Don't how long they last or stay sharp, but the Lyman chamfer/deburring tool is easy to set up and does both jobs at the same time. I really like
the one I bought, just haven't wore it out yet. Nice long handle on it that's checkered brass. Comfortable to use also.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there RR665 -- I'm a big fan of L. E. Wilson products http://www.lewilson.com/products.html The best part is they are just 150 miles down the road from me!! Scroll down about halfway on the linked page and you'll see the hand deburring tool. I've been using one for 35 years and it's still in great shape. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you are cheap like I am, Try the Lee chamfer tool for $3.
M

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Given that most of the chamfering tools I know of are steel, and they are made to work on something as soft as brass, I'd think they would last a lot longer than the guy using them!

Ridgerunner, in what way is your RCBS tool worn out? ???

Got a photo to share?

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I have been using one just like the Lyman for over 30 years and it hasn't worn out yet.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
papajohn said:
Given that most of the chamfering tools I know of are steel, and they are made to work on something as soft as brass, I'd think they would last a lot longer than the guy using them!

Ridgerunner, in what way is your RCBS tool worn out? ???

Got a photo to share?
The end that is used for deburring the outside of the case...its dull as a butter knife in the area that is used on 45 caliber cases...instead of cutting the burr, its grinding it off...and its a lot of work to do it (takes much longer). The end that chamfers the inside still works fine...

All I know is it used to work a lot faster than it does now...

I'm not home to take a picture, maybe when I get back, may be a few weeks though (picking up a load of steel in GA headed for MN)

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Take it to a cutter grinder and have them resharpen it. I know what you are talking about I was lucky when mine needed sharpening, I just took it to work with me and had a cutter grinder friend I worked with resharpen mine.

Many times a deburring tool can be resharpened with a flat cutoff wheel in a dremel, but be careful. Using the side of the wheel you grind back the flat side.

·
Registered
167 Posts
358 Win said:
Don't how long they last or stay sharp, but the Lyman chamfer/deburring tool is easy to set up and does both jobs at the same time. I really like
the one I bought, just haven't wore it out yet. Nice long handle on it that's checkered brass. Comfortable to use also.
358 Win
I believe that is the same tool I use. Take a look at the end of the handle......do you see some threads in the hole? If so, cut off a number 8 or 10 size machine screw head, and thread the machine screw shaft in the handle. Sure chucks into a cordless drill nice! Been using mine that way for years and it still cuts the same as the day it was new!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
swany said:
Take it to a cutter grinder and have them resharpen it. I know what you are talking about I was lucky when mine needed sharpening, I just took it to work with me and had a cutter grinder friend I worked with resharpen mine.

Many times a deburring tool can be resharpened with a flat cutoff wheel in a dremel, but be careful. Using the side of the wheel you grind back the flat side.
Thanks Ed...I'm gonna give that a try, but I'm still gonna order one of the .60 caliber tools just to try it out.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Doug B.1256 said:
I believe that is the same tool I use. Take a look at the end of the handle......do you see some threads in the hole? If so, cut off a number 8 or 10 size machine screw head, and thread the machine screw shaft in the handle. Sure chucks into a cordless drill nice! Been using mine that way for years and it still cuts the same as the day it was new!
Doug, sure does have the threads in the end of the handle! Thanks for the heads up on how to get it to chuck into a cordless drill! What I usually do is tighten my cases into my Lee lock stud and then chuck that into my drill. I hold the lyman chamfer/deburring tool against the mouth of the case and turn on the drill. Same same only different!LOL
358 Win

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a 60 caliber deburring tool locally and didn't have to order one...its an RCBS tool.

Its somewhat easier to use in that its not as prone to "jumping off" the case mouth when you're not paying attention ;D...but it feels kinda weird using it (used to the smaller one)

Its not exactly the sharpest tool in the box either, even brand new...but that can be fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
358 Win said:
358 Win
I'm new to reloading and went out looking for a deburring tool a few weeks ago. I came across a nice Lyman tool at Sportsman's Warehouse here in CO. It has a chamfer/deburring tool for inside and outside the case neck. It also has large and small primer pocket tools. It has a 2-piece hollow body that screws apart to hold the tools inside. I thought it was pretty nifty. It seems to be working pretty good so far. It was $20. Nice and compact.

I started with a Lee Hand Press tool and I can fit all my reloading stuff minus powder and scale inside the box the kit came in. The deburring tool was a nice addition to my gear. I live in an apartment so space is critical.

·
Registered
167 Posts
358 Win said:
Doug, sure does have the threads in the end of the handle! Thanks for the heads up on how to get it to chuck into a cordless drill! What I usually do is tighten my cases into my Lee lock stud and then chuck that into my drill. I hold the lyman chamfer/deburring tool against the mouth of the case and turn on the drill. Same same only different!LOL
358 Win
I just hold each casing in my hand and with the deburring tool chucked in my drill, each case is done in about 2 seconds. I clean the primer pockets the same way. Chuck the reamer in my cordless drill and have at 'er just holding the casing in my hand again. I always clean the pockets first so I don't have to deal with likely cuts if I deburred first. I recently acquired a smaller bench top drill press. Haven't mounted it on my bench yet, but that might really be the bee's knees. Glad I built a B I G bench!

I like my Lyman tool(s).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts