Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 336AS at a pawn shop, birch stock in decent shape, good blueing, bushnell 3x9 with target turrets and a sling for $240. I've seen the Dick's specials, and this looks like one with a better scope. Deal or no deal?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Re: Deal or no deal

If you like it, i'd say deal!! Seems like a fair price for a complete setup. :D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts

Sounds like a deal!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts

Buy 2! Best I have seen around here is $280 for a 'field' gun. My last 336C 30-30 was had for that, and I just missed one for that same price right before that.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

GRAB IT! have you seen the prices on GUNBROKER lately? You can hardly touch a used lever for under $350

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts

GJinNY said:
GRAB IT! have you seen the prices on GUNBROKER lately? You can hardly touch a used lever for under $350
Ditto! The 35 was $350 here at Gander and I thought THAT was a steal!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

I say buy it. Brand new 336c with a scope at Dicks sporting goods was $380 and it was a remlin.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Since everyone needs another 30-30, I bought it. Here's what I got....
Model 30AS (1986) with a Simmons 4x and a Weaver "swing off" scope mount. Aside from alot of dust and a few scratches in the hardwood, it didn't seem too bad at $220. This is the first model 30 I've had, how low rent is it?

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's a nice "meat and potatoes" gun right there. You did great at $220! Looking forward to hearing how she shoots. :D

·
Super Moderator
16,520 Posts
"it didn't seem too bad at $220. This is the first model 30 I've had, how low rent is it?"

It's the economy version of the 336, don't let that fool you though ...It's solid Marlin through and through!
I had the opportunity a year or so ago to pick up on a AS from the neighbor, he screwed up and had to get rid of it. Shame for him ....great for me, barely used! and cheap!! ;D Here's before I got the see thrus off. Mr fixit

·
Registered
728 Posts
As long as the bore isn't damaged, I'd say you got a steal. Truly, a steal. You can refinish the stock and forearm if you like, and repair any blueing damage all on your own. Now, will you reload for it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that I have a Marlin to go with a Winchester 94 and a 12 year old son, I guess I'll have to start! Anybody got some spare 30-30 dies?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The set of 3 LEE dies are under $30 off of EBAY. With the money you saved on the rifle, thats pocket change!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
mpmax, ya did good! You may be accused of GTM at that price. My neck of the woods prices are up in the $350.00 range for a 336 in any caliber. take care and enjoy, John.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Good job!!! If you fall out of love with that mount, I would trade you a barely used Leupold set of rings and a base (top of the line, not Rifleman) for yours. PM me if interested. Enjoy your new rifle, Jack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts