Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever use one of these on their rifle. The range master was telling about it. He uses it on a few of his lever action rifles, like his 45-70's and 50 something sharps rifle.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Haven't used that particular brand but I have used other mechanical and mercury recoil reducers...and just plain steel and lead bars/shot. They all work, more or less, because of the added weight more than the fact of the movement of the liquid or mechanical device.

I've used the weight devices in the buttstock hole or/and drilled extra holes in buttstocks and forends to add weight and balance. My NEF Ultra slug hunter shotgun came with a steel bar in the buttstock which I put back on the replacement stock I made for it, and also used a steel bar in my NEF BC 45-120, and some extra weight in the forend to bring the total weight up to 13.5#...makes alot of difference in the recoil....even WITH a muzzle brake.

I've used the mercury weights in a couple of my big bore rifles and also used lead shot mixed with epoxy in ziplock bags stuffed inside hollow buttstock and forends then foamed in place.

There are cheaper ways of getting the extra weight than buying the mercury weights, but they all work...physics tells us the reasons.

We buy these nice neat, lightweight, quick handling leverguns...THEN start putting on all the accouterments and recoil reducers and end up with a 9# or more shooter...can't figure that out... ??? :eek: ;D ;D ::) Hahahahahahahaha

LUCK

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have not used one but I do use a Limbsaver that slips on the butt of the stock and I can remove it and use on another if I want. 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
What the heck are you shooting that you need to put a recoil reducer on it? A slip on pad, or a PAST recoil pad that straps on should take care of anything you are shooting lever wise.

·
Registered
658 Posts
There's a mercury recoilreducer in my Beretta Extrema shotgun that I use for turkey hunting. It came with the gun and I planned on taking it out to lighten it up, but the gun balances and handles so well wtih it that I haven't messed with it. As far as recoil it will shoot heavy 3 1/2 magnum turkey loads without being to abusive so it probably does some good. S.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halwg said:
What the heck are you shooting that you need to put a recoil reducer on it? A slip on pad, or a PAST recoil pad that straps on should take care of anything you are shooting lever wise.
Spend a day at the range with a 450 Marlin and you'll know what I'm talking about. :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
scott fisher said:
Spend a day at the range with a 450 Marlin and you'll know what I'm talking about. :eek:
Been there, done that several times. The MXLR with the thick recoil pad is not that difficult to shoot. I certainly wouldn't be altering the gun. Use a pad, don't alter the gun.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I put one in my 45-70 Handi Rifle because it hurt my back to shoot it with hot loads, then shot it frequently for a year getting ready to go to Africa with no problems. Also helps the balance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
All the hairy legged he-dogs on all the forums I've ever visited could chew nails for snacks and shoot 50 cal BMG's one handed, and never feel a thing...the rest of us with less hair and/or old and feeble need a little to a lot of help where ever we can get it.

Recoil pads, extra weight, muzzle brakes all work to mitigate recoil and make shooting those "Whack-daddies" a lot more tolerable.

All you he-bars enjoy your shooters straight...without any branch water. ??? ;D 8) Hahahahaha

LUCK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts