Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a mastectomy on april 1 (some joke) left side since I am left handed. any suggestions? I have been thinking about trying to find a concieled carry holster, now with the crater on the left side, maybe I can find one with no bulge.
Fortunately, I have been practicing ambidextrous shooting.
Guys, check your selvs for lumps, breast cancer can kill us guys too.
Cliff

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wow,,, are you done worrying about the cancer now"? No chemo or anything"
Maybe we should start up a new forum for "Living with Cancer and we still Love our Guns" forum.
I was diagnosed with 4th stage colon cancer back in Nov. Going for my 5th chemo treatment this Friday.
Hang in there tho, you're not alone.

About that ambidextrous shooting. Even tho I am right handed, as a kid I couldn't close my left eye just by itself.
So I had to learn to shoot left handed. To this day, I am still better at shooting that way even tho I've since been able
to now close just my left eye. And now because of the recoil, I have to shoot right handed because for the chemo treatments,
they put a "port" just under my left shoulder about arm pit high. I'm afraid I'll smash it if I use that shoulder.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Mate, sorry to hear what you've been through. Glad your ok. And marsh444, hope your treatment goes well. Cancer is a *******,and everyone seems to be gettin' it. I know it ain't much in comparison, but I've been basically stuck in bed for 2 weeks with my back. Pain is unbelievable! Had to go 200km up the road last week for radiofrequency neurotomy. That was a fun trip. Take a few weeks to see if it gives any relief. Only painkillers that work when it's this bad is morphine tablets,but they make me vomit for days so I just put up with the pain. Good news is I've got all day to troll the net looking at guns and stuff. Picked up a new coach gun that was waiting for me when I went away,and can't even use it! Anyway,hope you guys are ok and will keep you in my thoughts. Mac.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
made it through the surgery, both the mastectomy and the power port instalation for the chemo. a little spreading, but not much. and, yes, both shoulders messed up now.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chemo starts in a couple of weeks. then radiation after that. they said they found a couple of hot spots on the scans. also found out I was in stage 3. fighting the swelling of lymphedema now. guys, check yourselvs or get a doctor to show you how. this stuff will kill you as easily as it kills the gals.

·
Premium Member
16,410 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Prayer sent.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
19,506 Posts
Sorry to hear about what you fellas are goin' through. Cancer sucks and it's definitely better to catch it early rather than later if possible. Keep up the good fight and you'll make it!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
chemo starts in a couple of weeks. then radiation after that. they said they found a couple of hot spots on the scans. also found out I was in stage 3. fighting the swelling of lymphedema now. guys, check yourselvs or get a doctor to show you how. this stuff will kill you as easily as it kills the gals.

Good advice alfacliff. Had a rather large melanoma removed from my forehead 2 years this month. It was caught just in time so I was able to avoid chemo but had 2 surgeries. I see a dermatologist every 6 months now (have re-cancer spots removed every visit) and self check often. Unfortunately the damage done to my skin was done when I was young. We played outside and the first thing every summer I got a crew cut. I meet every criteria for getting it as well as living at high altitude, working and playing outside.

But you are spot on by telling people to self check often!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Cliff, I'm right down the road from you. If you need anything, give me a holler. Especially if itinvolves more brawn than brains! Hang in there. My wife and I will be praying for you.
:top: now that is what makes this website great!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thakns for the prayers and such, sofar, havnt tried any recoiling rifles, just my sons .22 last friday. .22 and .38 no problem with either hand. stated some physical thearapy for the swelling and stiffness. fortunat that my son has a 100 yard range in his back yard.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
latest news, from last friday. went to my oncologist to set schedule for chemo. he says no chemo unless necessary in the future. and told me that my cancer is stage 4, one rib and my tail bone have it too. now I am on a pill a day that is supposed to stop the cancer.
I looked up the pill, tamofloxin, I think, and it is supposed to be good stopping breast cancer that has spread.
My son and I went to lake Afton today for a club shoot, had a .33 50 yard match , unscoped .22 rifle, and it was very tiring. bumped the power port and it reminded me not to do that agan.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,684 Posts
alfacliff, my thoughts are with you and your's, rooting for recovery for you, friend! AC

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
two months ago for surgery, and the only pain is from the shaving. 4 o'clock shadow on the chest under shirt isn't fun.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I'll bet not!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so far, ok. only problem is my arm swelling up due to lymphedema. looks like I wil have to wear a compression sleeve for life now.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I must have tried to go back to work too fast. a trip to the ER from work a couple of weeks ago. turns out my kidneys were arguing with me. after a few more lasix, and 16 pounds of fluid loss, I am back at home
Meantime, my incision decided to get an infection. pills for that, and an other hole in my chest. I cant get an answer from the docs when I can go back to work, or what is the next plan.
Cliff

1 - 20 of 50 Posts