Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Saw a Marlin 94 yesterday in a shop near here,not an 1894. Serial #1809. It's 44-40,Star on tang, 24" barrel. Does anyone Know what year it was made?. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
I can't help, but did you buy it? :flute:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. There are four other Marlins there. An 1894,1892, 1893 and a 336 A-DL

·
Registered
320 Posts
With the1809 serial number and no letter prefix or suffix and the tang marked
with the star one can only guess but maybe the early twenties?

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Mine is also a 4 digit 44-40 star on tang 24" Model 94. Marlin Collector sight put it in the 20's. It's one of those times in Marlins history that the date can not be nailed down unfortunately.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could pick them all up but funds are only going to let me to buy one. Thanks for all the info. So I guess the 94 is from the 20's. Thats the one I'm leaning towards.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
I believe the star here is the key. I think that makes it a better grouping rifle than normal. Maybe I am wrong but I do think that is what it stood for. I get the old marks wrong all the time. I do believe the newer kimber rifles also used a star on rifles that grouped better than average on model 82 and 84's like the super America. It might have been a custom order for the star but they did not put it on there for nothing.

Either way you got 4 nice choices. For the money I would look at the a-dl just because I like that rifle. It would also be the newest of the four and most likely the one they would deal on.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jmarriott. The A-DL is a 30-30,blue and varnish 90-95%. It is a G pre fix but the waffle top is tapped for a scope. Not sure if this is original as I read on this site 1955 they started to drill and tap the receiver. It sure looks factory because from the blueing and untouched screws,it appears to never have had a scope base mounted.He is asking $475.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts