Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain. I know on the newer guns you subtract the first two numbers from one hundred but what about the older guns. Yesterday I was looking at an old 336 and I'm pretty sure the serial number is m1585, I checked this number on the savage web site and it come back as an invalid number. I know this has been explained before on this forum and the old marlin forum but I don't remember.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just lernt somthin'. Wyatt that DOM search is case sensitive. I typed in a Capitol M and the date came back 1955.

Somewhere I think there is a chart for the letters to years. I'm not sure about the micro groove thing and the dates there. Is this a micro groove gun or 'ballard' rifled?

As I'm being nosy what caliber?? Personally, and this may just be me but if it is in fair shape I'd rather have one older than newer. Condition being about equal I'll keep an old gun in service every time. But that's just me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bman thanks for the info on this serial number. This gun is 30-30 carbine and it looks like it is in very good condition. I'm not sure if it is ballard or micro-groove, I can't see up close anymore without glasses and I could'nt read the small print on the barrel. I also like the older marlins, when you take em home and give them a good cleaning they are usually slick as butter when your done.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
You can also look in Reference Material Thread here :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
date of manufacture;

i looked on the armscollectors.com site but couldn't find where to look for the date of manufactor of an old marlin shotgun. all i saw mentioned was rifles.

i have an old marlin shotgun that i would like to pin down the manufacture date on.

thanks,

olduckhunter

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Bman said:
I'm not sure about the micro groove thing and the dates there. Is this a micro groove gun or 'ballard' rifled?
I believe (may be wrong) that '56 was the year they went to MicroGroove in the centerfires. Guess its possible a '55 could be MicroGrooved -- one thing I've learned with Marlins is "never say never!"

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the newer Marlins, the last two digits of the serial number are apparantly (I assume) the year of manufacture.

I have a Marlin 30AS and the serial number is: ####7187. Also, when you hold the lever open, and the bolt is all the way back, flip the 30-30 upside down. Somewhere on the underside of the bolt, it should have the year etched. Mine says "B-87" - I am assuming that means Built-1987.

Butch A.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
ButchA,

Actually the last two digits or characters have nothing to do with the date of manufacture, it is the first letters or digits that tell the tale.

The letters appropriately identify rifles manufactured from 1948 to 1968. Then in late 1968, the first two numbers in the serial number indicated the DOM, i.e, 68 = 1968, 69 = 1969, through 1972. In 1973 the first two digits subtracted from 2000 identified the DOM. Beginning in 2000, simply subtract the first two digits from 100 to come up with the DOM, 100 - 00 = 2000, 100 - 99 = 2001 etc.

SS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sidespin said:
ButchA,

Actually the last two digits or characters have nothing to do with the date of manufacture, it is the first letters or digits that tell the tale.

The letter nomenclature appropriately identify rifles manufactured from 1948 to 1968. Then in late 1968, the first two numbers in the serial number indicated the DOM, i.e, 68 = 1968, 69 = 1969, through 1972. In 1973 the first two digits subtracted from 2000 identified the DOM. Beginning in 2000, simply subtract the first two digits from 100 to come up with the DOM, 100 - 00 = 2000, 100 - 99 = 2001 etc.

SS
Oh, well DUH! :oops:

I learned something new.... Okay then. My Marlin 30AS begins with "05" and ends with "87". I always assumed the last two digits were the year. My bad...

So, then if we take "05" subtracted from 2000, then my Marlin 30AS is from 1995? Cool! It's even newer than I thought! But then why the underside of the bolt has a handwritten etching saying "B-87" - I haven't a clue... I don't know why they did that or what it means.

Butch A.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well, I may be telling you more than I know -- but it could be an employee ID number that the is engraved to keep track of either who made the part or who installed it.

Yes, it appears that your rifle was made in 1995, same year my CS was made.

Tomray may be helpful on this one.

SS

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Sidespin said:
Well, I may be telling you more than I know -- but it could be an employee ID number that the is engraved to keep track of either who made the part or who installed it.

SS
Could also be, I suppose, an assembly number, used to keep track of which whatzit went with what thingamabob. (pardon the techspeak :wink: )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts