Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide me with a positive date of manufacture for my 99c? The serial number is D9149xx. I'm hoping it comes back as a late 1982. That'll put it at the same time I was born. Thank you all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
That Savage 99 was made in the late 1970s to early 1980s. MO member KeithNyst is our resident Savage 99 expert and should be able to help you out.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Thank you Engineer. By the way, your 336a in 32 special is absolutely stunning.
Thank you and it stuns the black rifle crowd when I shoot it at the range. The young millennials can't believe a 69 year old rifle can be so accurate with a 1950s Weaver scope mounted on top.

Reactions: MacSr63

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
the proper way to date a 99 is by the lever boss code. it will be a letter right in front of the lever underneath the receiver. usually they are stamped lite and hard to read,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
the proper way to date a 99 is by the lever boss code. it will be a letter right in front of the lever underneath the receiver. usually they are stamped lite and hard to read,,,,,,,,,,,,
This 99C will not have the boss code since it was made after Savage moved the factory in 1968/1969.

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
ok I didn't know that, I only mess with the old ones,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: MacSr63

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
yea man them 99s are great guns, I grew up on them. the first deer I ever killed hunting on my own was with a 99 with open sights in 300 sav.

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can anyone provide me with a positive date of manufacture for my 99c? The serial number is D9149xx. I'm hoping it comes back as a late 1982. That'll put it at the same time I was born. Thank you all in advance.
According to David Royal's book your rifle was made in 1982. The first rifle made in Jan 1982 was serial number D889826 and in 1983 the prefix was changed to E.

What is your rifle chamber for?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so very much MikeJ. It is chambered in 308 win. I bought it originally to replace one that was stolen roughly 15 years ago in the same chamber. I was really hoping it was an 82.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I understand your wanting one like that, I hunted faithfully for a .308 Model 99 for years and they were either priced more than I was willing to pay or looked like pure hell and weren’t worth the asking price. One of my neighbors had one when I was growing up in the Allegheny mountains of south western Virginia. I loved that rifle from the first time I saw him carry it on one of our deer hunts. The one I picked up last week was in 300 Savage and not .308 but that’s ok because she’s a beauty. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I’m enjoying mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.