Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Darn %@#%*& magnet's broke!

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Sure-Shot 
#1 ·
Not sure what's wrong with this here magnet? Stopped by the local gun shop on the way home, and darned if that fool magnet didn't stick to a model 1890 Wrenchester! :shock: :shock: :wink:
Couldn't pass it up, as some dolt marked it for $100, and the only thing I can see wrong is the inner mag tube is gone. Pretty decent gun, with nice wood, and still a fair amount of bluing. 1903 production.

#2 ·
Hey MM-93

When I put that Ole Magnet together it was for "GOOD" deals. It doe's work on Wrrennchhssstteerrrrs also. What a great find. I just sold one with dent in mag tube for 225.00 and was pretty silver and brown spotted. Think's ya done perty good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I remember you have been carrying that ole Magnet for about 4 years now. Does that sound about right to you?

SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :D :) 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

#4 ·
For 100, I probably would have bought it, too... just for speculation, you see! :wink:

My magnet has been working just fine, but it's tuned for Steyrs & Italian rifles at the moment. A gentleman was liquidating his Italian collection and was kind enough to remember me! I got two rare pieces for a very favorable price.

And two people from whom I had purchased parts, telling them I was interested in more contacted me later with a couple of superb deals on rifles!

I believe everyone's collecting 'magnet' works best if they will remember their collecting 'nuts & bolts'. That is to let everyone with whom you come in contact that is connected in any way to your specialty know of your interests and remind them often. Persistence pays! :D

SO! Any of you folks have a dusty old Steyr or Italian rifle lanuishing forgotten in a closet? That you would like to see go to a good home? :D

SW

#5 ·
Good idea Hogger, and great advice! Helps to keep stopping at the local gun shop too! I probably stop there once a week, and maybe find something once every couple years. So once in a couple hundred tries is OK odds!

#6 ·
Marlinman,

My odds at the local gun shop aren't quite that favorable. In 3 years, he has had exacty ONE Steyr, but it was a good one! At an excellent price as he knew nothing of them. He actually has a Marlin, too. One of the early 357s in the 400 dollar range.

I happen to be flush one of these times when he has an inventory payment coming due, I will ask if he would be offended by an offer! SW

#8 ·
At least it has the slide cover intact- a rare find as this part is usually lost off of these old guns. What shape is the bore in? The cheap little reproduction tang sight that Taurus makes for their copies of the 63 and 62 fit the 1890 reciever perfectly. The other part often missing on these is the carrier spring. I picked up a sick puppy 1/2 and 1/2 90/06 for 50 bucks a few years ago. It's missing that spring and is presently a 2 shotter right now. The bore was badly frosted, and I had to have the chamber sleeved. It'll still put 5 within an inch at 25 yds with CCI cb longs as long as I keep an eye on the bore leading....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

#9 ·
Hi Doc,
The bore is dark, but has great rifling! It has the std. sights, and it's chambered for .22WRF. Not sure I'll put out any money for a tang sight, as it will most likely end up as trade fodder on Marlins or singleshots.

Sure Shot,
Not familiar with the 458x2 American? What is this cartridge?

#13 ·
At a regional IHMSA shoot once, I saw a fellow shooting an altered XP-100 that had been rebarreled to that caliber. Man! You wanna talk about steel targets going for a trip backwards!!! :shock:

Even the rams bit the dust like they had been hit by an artillery piece.

I would be very leery about shooting one of these in a lever action. I suppose some outfit like Wild West could build the action up, but it's a strong bolt action for me!!

Some of the alterations you don't see! SW

#14 ·
NebrHogger, guy I bought it from is a friend and has shot it many times. The load data has it in the 1700-1800 range, but also has some loads that should damage the shooters shoulder. I don't plan on loading that hot.

#16 ·
No information on the 458 x 2 in Cartridges of the World, I know it only varies by a minimal amount from the 450 Here is a rough drawing (mine) with the measurements from RCBS load.
450 vs. 458 x 2 American
.4808 2.1" vs. .4811 2.0" Mouth of case
.5121 .2520 vs. .5133 .2200 Base of wall
.5320 .2200 vs. .5320 .2520 top rim size
.5320 .1277 high vs. .5320 .1277 high base of case size
Tried doing a drawing but it did not translate well when posted The base is identicle, as well as the base of the wall except the distance that is rebated is a few hundreths taller. The base of the case is exactly the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.