Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Marlin 1893 action that must NOT have been cleaned since it was NEW. Heck I have seen engines with several hundred thousands of miles on them that were cleaner.So natcherly I wondered when it was made..That is when the trouble arose.....It is marked on the Tang fancy like with the little arrows as the later ones had.Great..but it is also marked with serial number 444,438...........That,according to the big Bible,is not RIGHT.It states that"The 1893 was changed to 93 in 1905,, then next it says the end of numbers in 1906 is 355,300.........Where am I with this thing???Get your brains a'cookin and PLEASE help.me out or IN..
It's about to drive me to drink,,now we don't need that,, do we..? Thanks,,modoc

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Modoc,
That change (mentioned in Bill's great book) only took place in the catalogs of 1906 and later for the model 1893's. The actual change on the guns didn't happen until after WWI, when Marlin resumed civilian production of firearms.
Unfortunately this is one of those areas, where Bill's book has thrown folks off a bit. As to where you're at with that thing; it's most likely from around 1911 or so?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK,that helps,thought I was tipping over the edge..As stated,I bought an arm load of parts guns and this was in the pile.I'm not sur[rised they pulled off everything they could salvage..It was so dirty,I had to scrape pathways to get it apart.It would not move many of the innards.The outside looked almost normal.The lever was,of course the first thing out and that was the only part that almost slid out.The rest was a challange..Even the ejector was gummed up so bad it wouldnot retract into itself.Ah well the chjallange was met.Am saving the dirty parts for show and tell in the morning..Great fun.modoc

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Modoc,

I use rubbing alcohol - 79 cents the qt @ Wally - to soak grungy parts. It's cheep & really cuts through accumulated crud! SW

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well finally got her clean,and was looking on the net for parts,found almost the same thing posted for sale..The prices he got blew me away.. All this from a 93 Marlin; hammer $31,,locking lug $46,,Carrier $33,50,, Bolt complete $70,,Lever $33.50,,Lower tang w/trigger 33.50...Do you have to wonder what my next move will be??Heck I have several parts that goes with the pile,such as,ejector,main spring,all action screws, loading gate and screw..I guess money is my guiding light these days.Too bad as I was once quoted as saying "I collect for the love of history,no amount of money can turn my head..Well up until I realized that my life was much nearer to the end than the beginning..Shore wish I had family members who cared about the multitude of collections I have gathered..Well, no matter I'll turn it all into money and let them fight over it..

·
Registered
579 Posts
How much for it? I might be interested. Sounds like a neat project. moodyholler

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rather doubt you would be willing to pay what I figure I can get for it a piece at a time on the net..But let's poke out a price and see what you think..I would be surprised if it would sell under for $350 split up.. So that is where I am comming from..Now you can tell me where to go..A heck of a large amount to start from considering all the other parts it will take to assemble a complete rifle..I reckon that is why there are so many PARTS SELLERS in our world who pay nothing for broken guns and the prices they put on things turn them into GOLD..
Well it has been a pleasant visit,,let's just hope it remains SO..modoc

·
Registered
579 Posts
Modoc, Point well taken and the visit will remain pleasant. I thank you for your response and respectfully decline. I really enjopy your posts! I was thinking of a green mountain barrel and new wood, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Guess I need to get into the 21st century! I'm selling old Marlin parts way too cheap!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep,,It is remarkable what folks are willing to pay for things these days,just is another indicator of the of how little the dollar is worth these days..It all started when OUR LEADERS dicided to take our money off the gold standard.Gold went from $32 per ounce to todays price around $400.. We can always TRUST our leaders.As the saying goes;"we have the best politicians MONEY can BUY"and buy them they did..And still do.. modoc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts