Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't shoot all that often but it's getting to be that time of year again so I made a trip to the range today to shoot all the families deer rifles.

Last year, when I shot my 45-70 I had a brand new Caldwell shooting rest called "The Rock" and also an improvised rear support. I was shocked that I got a 3 shot honest .5" group at 100 yards. Totally tickled you might say. The ammo was some Hornady LE's. This year, I had a different box of LE's so I was wondering if the accuracy would be as good. Then I got to the range and realized I had forgotten to bring my good shooting rest so I had to use the "el cheapo" plastic block the range provides. Well, as it turned out, even with the poor rest and a different box of LE's, I got a pretty darned nice group of about 1 1/3" and that was a 5 shot group, not a 3 shot one. I know it can do a little bit better because my heartbeat was making it move at least as much as the group size was wide. I'll make another trip soon and take the good shooting rest just to prove to myself that it's not a fluke. Then I think I'll dial it up about an inch or two and call it good.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Congratulations. Much better than minute of bear. Please posting these. It will provide hope and challenge for some of us!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the one from last year.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Dave, that 1895 of yours is definitely a shooter, much better than ''minute of deer''. I see you and your 1895 in a deer stand come November. Good luck, I'll be using my H&R1871 in 45-70 this year, looking to score. Take care, John.

Reactions: cthulhufan

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice shooting!! But no pics of the rifle? For shame!

Reactions: cthulhufan

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Dave, that 1895 of yours is definitely a shooter, much better than ''minute of deer''. I see you and your 1895 in a deer stand come November. Good luck, I'll be using my H&R1871 in 45-70 this year, looking to score. Take care, John.
John, I've used my H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic the last 2 years and have had a blast. So much so that I'm going with my new 1895GS this year. Really do like that 45-70!

Fine looking groups Dave. Well done! Hope to do that well when I get done load testing on my cast bullets.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay erimort, if you insist... :biggrin: Not like I don't enjoy posting pictures of my babies or anything eh?

p.s. Anybody know what kind of mushroom that is?

I love that Leupold quick release base and rings set up. I have TOTAL confidence in the ability to remove and reinstall the scope without it changing zero.

And yes, you CAN still use the iron sights. I commonly hear people say you can't but unless there different sight options on the 1895 that are a different height, I don't know why you couldn't. I admit there is barely room but I can see all the way to the bottom of the sight notch and simply don't need to see any lower than that.

Reactions: lewk416

·
Registered
786 Posts
1895's are awesome. Shot my first deer last fall with mine and I've been around a number of decades. I kinda promised the 30-30 could go this year though I may bring it along anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts