Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my 1895ss (6 yrs ago) the lever addiction has bit hard. Then I started looking at this subforum and it has just gotten terrible. Anyway, to the point I recently found an 1893 takedown in 30-30 that I am lusting over terribly. It is in solid shape mechanically, the wood is solid, but the finish is only about 40%. The finish doesn't bother me because I really love what I am seeing. After looking at JES's website I am really wanting to get it and have it rebored to 38-55. There is something just too cool about this whole idea. From what I have read here I think that this is going to be a lot of fun.
Now the bad news. I don't have the money for it right now and it will have to wait until the next time I come home. I leave tomorrow to go back to work in Oregon and won't be back home until Oct or Nov. The shop has had the rifle for about 2 years so hopefully it will still be there when I get back. I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. But seriously guys thanks for all the info that has led me to this point.

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
how you gunna sleep till November!!!!!!! wow those dadblasted enablers are going to cause you some stress over the summer. maybe you could put a $20.00 down for the guy to hold it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The Marlinitis bug has bit!

·
Registered
20,513 Posts
I'm with mrguvna...see if they'll let you put it on layawy. Worst they can say is no!

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey AK,

Some of the best "relationships" with the local shops, have started with a "lay a way" plan. LOL

Send them a check, and see what happens. (bet they will take it, especially if you can send a payment, every couple of weeks.)

If you're lucky, they may even send it to JES for you. (that way, when you get home, all you need do is to work up a load.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Having a customer put a gun on layaway is far better than having it sit, unloved, on a rack somewhere, indefinitely. As was said, put some cash down on it, see if they'll send it to JES for you, and when you get back you'll have a new best friend to play with. I have a gorgeous 30-30 with a bad barrel that wouldn't stay on paper at 50 yards, I sent it to JES for the 3-groove 38-55 conversion, and I couldn't be happier with it. Scooped charges of 9 grains of Trail Boss and a cast boolit of 260 grains will put 5 shots into an inch all day long, with minimal recoil. The same boolit over a stout charge of 4198 shoots to the same point of aim at that distance, and it hits like a small truck.

Just do it.........and thank us later.

Mine is seen here below "Plain Jane", the homeliest Marlin I've ever owned...........until you shoot it. Then its inner beauty shines through!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
There is something correct on a visceral level with the 38-55. A 38-55 Take-down would be simply irresistible.

PJ, are you trying to bankrupt AK? After seeing your pictures I had to open the safe and pull the 38-55's just to make sure they were still there and to keep me from logging into gunbroker and bidding up the prices on 1893 38-55's! By now I should be immune. You my friend have the enabling gift in spades.

Mo

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Hey AK, you've got 20 whole weeks to throw yer pocket change at it...why, at a buck fifty a day you could be halfway there when you get back! :flute:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts