Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many guys have there dads or uncle's old deer
Rifle or shotgun.
I am at a disadvantage here my dad didn't hunt.
But most of my uncles did. With 30 30 or an old army rifle my one uncle always used a 30 40 crag
Not sure how you spell that. And one had a 303 Enfield.l hope I get my uncle bobs 336 sc. When he's ready to hang it up. We have covered a lot of ground together .he's 84. Yrs old but he can still clime up in the seat of his old farm all c.god bless him.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are wa my dad nor any of my uncles ever hunted.
I did have my dads old Smith model 31 and his little 410 Stevens but a couple low lifes
stole them when they broke in and stole 20 of my other guns.
We finally caught the pieces of scoti but only got back about half the guns...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have my Grandpas shotguns. Down southern tier used to be shotgun only for deer. One is a 12 gauge Winchester model 1911 and the other is a Remington 1100. Both mostly get oiled once in a while and put back in the cabinet. The 1911 just turned 100 years old last year...Dom 1913

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have my Dad's 12 ga. Model 12 Winchester. I'm not sure he wanted me to have it, we never discussed it. I have a brother. My Mother gave it to me after his passing. I also have my Uncle's Model 12 Winchester 16 ga. He was my favorite Uncle of the 11 blood uncles I had. What makes the 16 ga. so precious to me is my Uncle gave it to me while he was still living, an act of unconditional love IMO, that was 40 years ago. I know he loved that shotgun, I hunted with him several times while he carried it. I'm now older than he was at his passing.

I hunted with the 16 ga. many years, my legs do not permit me to walk that much anymore.

I've removed the plug from it. I now use it for ground hog duty from my porch. As I look at it leaning against a post I think of him, sometimes I tear up knowing where the gun came from and how I came to acquire it. It is quite possibly my most cherished possession.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am most likely going to get spanked for not posting this in the wright forum. owell.
My uncle rich came over to the house one day,I wasn't home but my wife was he told her he wanted me to have his old shotgun and that I was the last one to use it. Well I had to be maybe 13 or 14 yrs. old back when i asked to use his old Mossberg bolt action 20 ga. Cus all I had back then was my western auto single shot 22. And I wanted to disbach more game.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I have my Dads Fox-B 12 gauge double barrel we gave him for Christmas in the early 70's. My Mom paid a little each week for a year at the local Western Auto. Also have a Browning pistol he brought back from Germany at the end of WWII, in chambered in 9MM Browning Long.

Reactions: western auto

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I have my Pop's 1950's Belgium made A-5 with 28" full ported choke and will flat out knock a bird to the ground today. and might I add he brought many a geese home from his Urbana Va hunting blinds...................many happy Thanksgivings and Christmas Dinners. every time I walk in the field with that gun I know he is with me, he loved this shotgun.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I've got one of my grandpa's shotguns, one of my Dads and one of my uncle's...peek around for the guns of our fathers threads on the forum tab up top...it's a great read!!!

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
My dad got rid of most of his rifles when he stopped hunting.One of them was 1950's Marlin 336 that he got from the factory when he worked there.After he passed away I asked my mom for the guns and she gave me all that was left , his 1940's WWII Navy Kabar and a 1980's Beretta 92FS and a Marlin 336 from North Haven.My sister kept his 45 military Colt.Oh well........

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
In the last couple years I have inherited a few from my dad and a uncle. I remember standing in front of the gun cabinet when I was a boy thinking one day all of those would be mine. Well.....I have found I would rather just wait. It's a darned sad day when a outdoorsman lays down his irons.
second!! And that's one of the best quotes I've heard in a long time!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have as Smith 44 spl triple lock of dad's; brother kept his cherished remington 37 bolt .22 we all grew up with.
The sweetness is that NEVER will there ever be an "I want" between us....it's always I'm good with whatever make YOU HAPPY. And if either wants to borrow or swap nostalgia it's fine.
He could have 'em both and I'd rest easy that Dad's hardware is in good hands.
Lord knows we have more of our own than we can ever shoot.
The true multi generational guns were stolen from well meaning uncles...a pair of consecutive serial number browning auto-5 sweet 16's, great grandad's ranch guns, and officers civil war sword.

Old photos old memories are all that's left.
In the end, we're dust anyway, I guess...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have my Dads .22, my grandfathers 16 ga, 32-20 Colt Police Positive and his 94winn. Have taken deer and hogs with the 94winny and dove with the 16ga.

Am in no real hurry to have my Dads other guns yet. I figure he will let them go way too soon for me.

I am holding on to a couple of mine to go along with theirs for my son and (so far) three grandsons.

Reactions: western auto

·
Registered
428 Posts
My dad had an old 32 S&W Long that my G-Pa gave him, both are gone now, and I now have that pistol. I shoot it when I can, and enjoy it when I do. My son knows where it came from, and when my time comes, where it will go. I hope he will someday pass it to his boy as all have done before him. To my knowledge, I am the only one in my entire family to hunt or shoot, other than that pistol. I bought my first rifle @ 21, an old, used, abused Stevens single shot bolt .22, that rifle was my son's first of several I have bought him since he was old enough to hold it up. At 46 now, I have built a low budget, but impressive collection of rifles, mostly Marlins.
After the divorce from my first wife, finances put a stop to the hunting sport for a few years, but my son grew up with his own passin for the shooting sports. I was happy to encourage and enable him, brought me back into it. Our hobby when we are not in the field, is to rebuild old beaters. A large part of the 2 safes full we have were built together. Each has their own story, and all have huge sentimental value. I know one day they will be in good hands, and passed as they should be.
I guess, in this house anyways, tradition started with me. I've done my best to make it a strong one, and watching my son shoot, i believe it will be a lasting one.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have my grandpa's H&R single barrel 16 I killed my first deer with on december 1, 1958. The first official deer season we had in La.
It was the biggest deer I have bagged so far. That ole gun was traded through 4 times until a cousin got it. I asked him about it and told him
if he ever wanted to get rid of it to let me know. He passed away a few months later and his wife called me and told me to come get the
gun, that my cousin had told her if anything happened to him, he wanted me to have the old gun...I,m 70 now, so my grandson will be next
in line for it...[I was 14 when I got that buck, and still have the mounted horns hanging on the wall.]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sparky Civil, that has to be the quote of the year. It is a sad day, but it'll happen to all sooner or later. That's why it's important to pass the heritage along.
Long story of my dad's Ithaca mod 37 but in keeping with the 336 board I remember the day my brother in law brought home a Marlin 336 30-30. I was 12, the year wes 1966... it was the most beautiful rifle I'd ever seen - made me a Marlin guy for good.
He still has it, he's 74 now and doesn't hunt any more. He'll pass it along to a son in law, not me. But it's the reason I have a safe full of Marlins.
Ss

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.