Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is opening day of gun season here in western NC. I'm taking my dad's 1969 model 336 in 35 Remington. It's the first centerfire rifle I learned to shoot and the first rifle I deer hunted with as a kid, although I never got anything with it. I lost my dad back in February this year and I miss him dearly. I'm praying I get to take a deer or two with it this season to honor his memory. Every time I look at it, I'm reminded of our times in the woods together when I was young. My best memories with my dad are when he was carrying that rifle. The only thing I've done to it is add a small scope because my contact lenses make it difficult for me to focus on open sights anymore (except for peep sights). Can't wait to get in the stand with it in the morning!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Whether or not you take a deer, nothing like having your Dad there with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Hope you get one with your dad's rifle! My father never hunted, but was supportive of my efforts. He bought me a .270 for Christmas when I was 14. I was in awe of that rifle and that he even bought it for me. It gets a lot of safe time these days, but I'm bringing it to the woods with me tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Good luck with your fathers rifle. If you do your part the 35 Rem. will do the rest. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I took a doe with it Saturday morning. Perfect shot in the boiler room and she ran maybe 50 yards. She was dead on the hoof and just didn't know it yet. Felt good using that old rifle. Felt like he was there with me all morning. I'll take it out a few more times this season and hopefully bag another one with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Efm, so sorry for your loss but sure makes you feel good doesn't it. Good job . Did for me when I shot pheasants with my dads old Rem 870 16 ga. Only gun he had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know what I did that made the same picture post multiple times. But yes it was a good feeling. Kind of felt like Dad was still there with me. Sure did a lot of reminiscing Saturday morning while sitting in the stand looking at that rifle.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Congrats on taking a deer with your dads 35! Thanks for sharing that special moment with us.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Nice pic. I have a 1950 sc waffle top in 35 Rem. I would taking the round hood off while you hunt. They are made of unobtainuim and not available any more. I think that you can use a newer hood and save the original.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well done! I lost my Dad in 2001. Later that year I went out opening day and saw nothing. On the second day I took Dad’s old rifle with me. About 10 minutes after sun up a large doe walked directly on front and f my stand and presented a 20 yard broadside shot. I took the deer and talked to Dad the whole day about his rifle and his beloved Winchester silver tips. I kept it for another 18 years and passed it on to my youngest brother who has two young boys that hunt. The nine year old cannot wait to use Pops rifle even though he never met my Dad. You are blessed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts