Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this at the same pawn shop I found my $150 .44.
1894 in .357 w/ 16 inch barrel, 1979 vintage w/ a 4x Redfield scope wich will probably come off. This rifle should ride well w/ my S&W revolver in the marshes after hogs. I Matched a pistol/rifle combo for my .44 and this will be another set for company. My fishing pal noted how much heavier the .35 I let him use compaired to the .44 so I thought this rifle would be even lighter. The things we do to create hunting buddies.
Any hints, advise or suggestions on this gun are welcome. I guess I got a little impulsive and have yet to do any real research on it. I didn't even realise it had the shorter barrel till I held it next to the .44. Duhh.
cw

·
Premium Member
11,091 Posts
SW,
Nice, "hard to find" rifle with the short barrel. "Max." hand loads with any listed powder and a 158 gr. jacketed bullet will make that rifle talk!
You will also probably enjoy cast bullets as much as anything else for plinking and smaller animals. When I've seen those for sale, they usually bring premium prices.

Enjoy it!

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
205 Posts
I consider the 1894C with a 16" barrel to be THE best "take-along" long gun there is (as long as it isn't ported). That pic is telling me to get a new 1894C and have it bobbed.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOLD THE HACKSAW DEAFRN!!
My powers of observation and conpulsive marlinidis have tricked me into thinking this was a 16' barrel. What got me was that it IS shorter than the .44, and the .44 being lighter than the .35, that somehow the .44 was shorter than the .35. :oops:
Does this type of rationalization mean I getting old? :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
seaweaver said:
HOLD THE HACKSAW DEAFRN!!
My powers of observation and conpulsive marlinidis have tricked me into thinking this was a 16' barrel. What got me was that it IS shorter than the .44, and the .44 being lighter than the .35, that somehow the .44 was shorter than the .35. :oops:
Does this type of rationalization mean I getting old? :D
LOL!!!

I don't know about you're "being old", but you're right. That's an 1894C with the 18.5" barrel, and a nice looking one to boot. My last one was the older style, and shot great with nearly everything except 110g bullets.

If you're wanting a stout deer/other load, stick with a good tough 158g SP bullet(I like the Remingtons myself), and keep your velocity in the 1700 fps range, and I'd bet money that you'll find it quite accurate, as well as deadly.

G

·
Guess I should'a looked closer... the lack of a sight ramp must have gotten me overly excited.

Still, I do want a shortened 1894C as a "throw in the trunk" gun. The only trouble is that a new 1894C plus a gunsmith's bill is going to be a lot more than a new Winchester (ugh!) Trapper.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
seaweaver, sorry its not getting any more its gotten, welcome to the crowd.

G

·
Nice find Seaweaver! My first duty gun was a 586 4 inch barrel, and I've been a wheel gunner ever since. I notice from the picture you posted that the Redfield scope has some rather high looking rings & mount. If you decide to keep the extra vision tube, try a one piece, low mount design and solid rings to replace what's on there now. I really like the Leupold for my 336, scope, rings and mount.
Here's some links for replacing the iron sights if you want to pursue that:
http://www.smithenterprise.com/1400_Ladder_Tang_Sights_Page.htm
https://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DSC&Category_Code=ringsbases
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,217.html
http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/files/MARLIN1894.htm
http://www.coyotecap.com/marlin.htm
Anyway, probably too much info anyway, but I hope you'll let us know if this latest purchase has any effect on the Marlinitus bug. Take care.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bull3540, Deafrn,
What I I missing about my Iron Sights? She got them. The pic's at a slight angle and does the table more good than the gun!
What is a sight Ramp? I know rear sight and fore (boat terms?).
Ther Redfield would seem to be a nice little fixed power scope but the recticle is detached on the vertical end of the small x. I suppose any deviation would be no worse than an excited off hand shot w/ the iron sights, but I was thinking to use only iron sights w/ this one and the .44. The scope base is as low and flat as I've seen and the mounts apear to be large round quick mounts. I've been instructed by my in-law to basicly spot weld a scope to the reciever so the idea of putting a scope on and off as required would make me alittle nervous especialy should the next shot need to be spot on. I read of guys here doing it but I guess it takes time to develop faith in the scope/base to keep those question marks from bouncing around in your head prior to pulling the trigger .
Speaking of triggers , this is the hardest of all my marlins. I've had the 336 .35's broken down and they are not hard, but I've yet to tear down either 94'. The triger on this gun also rattles more than my teeth @40 degrees..This at rest and when cocked. I've read thru some of the trigger sites but just skimmed as all the marlins I own have sweet triggers. Is this rattle addressed in them too? Bull, I'll run through the links tonight after all the critters are fed!
Thanks Guys
cw

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe it's my eyes - they ain't getting any better - but that pic makes the front sight blade look like it is dovetailed into the barrel, where current 1894Cs have a base/ramp attached to the barrel with two screws (the sightblade is then dovetailed into the base). It is a six-to-one, half-dozen-to the-other thing, and each method of attachments has it's fans.

I will admit right away that I am not a fan of scopes on short leverguns; I vastly prefer an aperture sight at the end of the receiver. I seem to shoot about as well with a peep as with a scope out to 150 yards or so, and I really like not having to worry about the optics, put up with the extra bulk, and so on.

I wonder if someone in the past has tried to "improve" the trigger on your gun. My own 1894C has about the average "slop" and way too stiff a trigger spring, but I've learned to live with it. Maybe a Wild West Guns trigger would be a good option for yours if it needs replacement anyway.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh, sight ramp. You are right. I didn't realise thats what it called but you are right it doesn't have one. Kinda makes it cleaner looking to me and I havn't compaired it yet but looks to keep the line of sight lower to the barrel( more accurate at close range?). The screws on the reciever show a little marring where someone has at least atempted to go inside.
Could you explain the difference between an aperture and a peep sight? I thought they were the same. I've got what I call a peep sight on my MAS 36 and the Hole (what I would call call an aperture) is very small to all others that I have seen. It is very fast to the target and extremly accurate at 100yrds (the pathetic length of our public range). That Ghost Ring setup looks like I could park my truck in it. I think I'll keep optics on the guns I plan to hunt in stands. This .357 and the .44 are paired w/ pistols and will see most duty in the marshes and hammocks for hogs. Most of the shots there are shot for the pistols but I prefer the rifles for the long shots.
cw

·
Registered
205 Posts
Aperture and peep are just two ways of saying the same thing, as far as I know. I guess a ghost ring is just an aperture sight with a big hole that doesn't have much around it.

I can sympathize with you on the range problem- I have to drive a while for anything more than 100 yards.

G

·
Seaweaver, pretty much what deafrn said.
As for the scope rings and base, take a look at the way the ring holds the scope in place. If only one side of the ring has screws and the other is simply a hinge of some sort, the uneven pressure exerted on the scope tube can result in poor accuracy and even bend the tube. Leupold makes a one piece base (as do some others) and quick detach rings, which will actually hold the same zero after removing and attaching the scope. Even better is the "scout scope" set-up, which mounts the scope ahead of the receiver, allowing you to use the same iron sights already on your rifle after taking it off. Some folks carry an extra scope in case the one already mounted breaks, and the quick detach rings allow you to zero both of them before you go into the field. I prefer low power scopes, 1X4 or fixed 4X for certain calibers and hunting conditions with my leverguns.
Some of the tang sights, peep and apeture, plus different sizes and colors of the front sight you can see on the websites I posted links for, so I thought you might like to see what's out there if the ones on your new gun just don't suit you. I'm always looking to customize a little bit, maybe you do too, but good luck and let us know how you do.
Happy shootin'!

G

·
Seaweaver, pretty much what deafrn said.
As for the scope rings and base, take a look at the way the ring holds the scope in place. If only one side of the ring has screws and the other is simply a hinge of some sort, the uneven pressure exerted on the scope tube can result in poor accuracy and even bend the tube. Leupold makes a one piece base (as do some others) and quick detach rings, which will actually hold the same zero after removing and attaching the scope. Even better is the "scout scope" set-up, which mounts the scope ahead of the receiver, allowing you to use the same iron sights already on your rifle after taking it off. Some folks carry an extra scope in case the one already mounted breaks, and the quick detach rings allow you to zero both of them before you go into the field. I prefer low power scopes, 1X4 or fixed 4X for certain calibers and hunting conditions with my leverguns.
Some of the tang sights, peep and apeture, plus different sizes and colors of the front sight you can see on the websites I posted links for, so I thought you might like to see what's out there if the ones on your new gun just don't suit you. I'm always looking to customize a little bit, maybe you do too, but good luck and let us know how you do.
Happy shootin'!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well as far as customizing, I'm alittle hesitant now that I've found that this is a first year issue( reading another post), but I guess since someone has already tapped it for a mount I shouldn't be too concerned. I like that Marlin 1894 Adjustable Tang Sight but I fear that might be a bit much for my application. These places I shoot hogs are thick and clear/ thick and clear so I think the irons will be the norm for a while.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
cw

·
Registered
355 Posts
seaweaver said:
Well as far as customizing, I'm alittle hesitant now that I've found that this is a first year issue( reading another post), but I guess since someone has already tapped it for a mount I shouldn't be too concerned.
cw
If you're talking about the two holes tapped in the left side of the reciever for a reciever sight, it was tapped at the factory, so it's still "factory original".

G

·
Make sure you put screws back in the places that were drilled for the scope mount so they won't be a source of rust or dirt infiltration.
seaweaver said:
Well as far as customizing, I'm alittle hesitant now that I've found that this is a first year issue( reading another post), but I guess since someone has already tapped it for a mount I shouldn't be too concerned. I like that Marlin 1894 Adjustable Tang Sight but I fear that might be a bit much for my application. These places I shoot hogs are thick and clear/ thick and clear so I think the irons will be the norm for a while.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
cw

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I pulled the scope base off today at the range as it was partialy obscuring the back sight. I'll need to find some shorter screw to close the holes. Tonight I was showing the gun to my dad and noticed there were two other screws on top of the reciver for a total of four. How many tapped holes are supplied from the factory? Larry, I see the one's on the side, They look like they've never been touched as well as the two that were hidden by the base.
I also had live ammo fall out of the reciever in both the .357 and .44 today. Both guns were vertical. Is this a common trait of guns that shoot mags and spl?
Thanks
cw

Boy the digital shows everything,I thought those rags were shedding :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I think most rifles drilled and tapped for a scope mount have the four holes to accomadate the two piece scope mounts that each have two holes. The screws on the side look like the screws for a side mounted peep sight. Looked in brophys book but not a lot in it on this one.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Sure Shot.
I've got wallyworld sending me Brophy's book this week. Looks like 703 pages of good reading.
cw

1 - 20 of 21 Posts