Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the last two weekends with my better half shooting, and quizzing her about different handguns, she has pretty much given the nod to the 9mm as far as shootability in her hands.

She likes the Ruger Single-Six as far as .22's go. The .357's (loaded with .38 Spcl) didn't light her fire so much. The .40 S&W was kind of snappy for her, and she shot it okay, but started to develop anticipation and was heeling the shots by the third or fourth mag - - I think it is just a bit much gun for her to actually enjoy, and she agrees. She said the .44 Mag in the 4-5/8" RSBH was fun (with target loads), but isn't something she wants to spend all day playing with.

We made it down to the LGS and saw several 9mm's that she was kind of interested in. One of the guys was good enough to get every pistol that she expressd any interest in out. She held them all, manipulated the slides, the safeties, the mag releases, and was smart enough to ask if she could dry-fire them once or twice. Finally, she came to the CZ P-07, held it, hefted it, did everything with it that she did with the others, and then continued to hold onto it. She brought the pistol up about a dozen times from a low, held position to a picture on the wall (of Joe Foss, no less) about eight yards away.

Every time she brought it up, the sights were on the money for her, the gun was easy for her to grip (nice and high, with the web of her shooting hand nestled nicely into the beavertail), she noticed and commented on how the barrel seems to be closer to her hands, and she just liked the way it felt when she was holding it. She still likes the Springfield XD-9, and she shoots it pretty well, but this CZ P-07 seemed to "speak" to her that afternoon.

It is on lay-away now. I am anxious for her to get some real trigger time with it and see how she does with it. Range report to follow...

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Re: CZ P-07 Duty

Excellent my friend, excellent! This is exactly how it should be done. 8)

Whether it's a spouse, son or daughter, or novice friend, we can work to educate them, help to train them in the safe and proper ways, give them the opportunity of trigger time while enforcing the successful and striving to eliminate the mistakes...but when it comes time to choose a firearm of their own, they must be allowed, not only to be a part of that process, but to have the ultimate say.

If we've done our job well, the choice will be a good one.

Roe

·
Registered
2,329 Posts

Barenjager said:
Excellent my friend, excellent! This is exactly how it should be done. 8)

Whether it's a spouse, son or daughter, or novice friend, we can work to educate them, help to train them in the safe and proper ways, give them the opportunity of trigger time while enforcing the successful and striving to eliminate the mistakes...but when it comes time to choose a firearm of their own, they must be allowed, not only to be a part of that process, but to have the ultimate say.

If we've done our job well, the choice will be a good one.

Roe

+1 Well said

·
Banned
2,894 Posts

I have a CZ P-01 9mm. The ergonomics are excellent and accuracy is very good. I also have a CZ 2075 RAMI sub-compact in .40 S&W. CZ pistols are excellent - I would buy another one in a heart beat. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

The second time I fell in love with an autopistol (the 1911 was the first) it was a CZ-75 in 9mm. Having never been a fan of the 9mm cartridge, I vowed to find the same gun in a larger caliber and buy it on the spot. A year later, I did just that..........it was my EAA Witness in 40S&W, which had just been introduced that year. (1990) I still have it, and two more Witness pistols have also been added to the family, both in 45ACP. I don't know who designed that CZ-style grip, but he got it just right. Picking one up for the first time feels like shaking hands with an old friend.

She's right about the barrel axis being lower, a function of that high backstrap indentation that puts the web of the hand high up under the beavertail. Lots of gunmakers (like Tanfoglio) have copied that design, and with good reason. Almost everyone who picks up a CZ-pattern pistol immediately comments on how it seems to snuggle down into their hand.

I sure hope you have a lot of 9mm components on hand............you're gonna need them.

Isn't it fun shooting with your best friend? :D

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: CZ P-07 Duty - Range Report

CZ 75 P-07 Duty – Range Report

After making it out for some trigger time, we finally were able to get some rounds through the P-07. 200 rounds resulted in one failure to feed (it was the second round in the second magazine), and I believe that was a result of the finish on the feed ramp. All subsequent rounds fed, extracted, and ejected without issue.

Ammo was a mixture of 115 gr. FMJ PMC factory, 124 gr. FMJ Black Hills factory, and 125 gr LRN (loaded with 4.4 gr. of Unique) reloads. Accuracy at 15 yards resulted in roughly 2” groups for 10 shots. This pistol appears to prefer the 124 and 125 grain bullets, as accuracy wasn’t quite as good with the 115 grain FMJ bullets.

My Wife seemed to have some difficulty with the trigger, but we can’t make any real comments about that just yet. It may be just a matter of her getting used to this trigger, and putting some more rounds down range to break the pistol in some more. The double action pull is long, but the release is surprisingly crisp. The single action trigger is reasonably smooth, short and though there is a bit of creep, some more time to break it in should help. 16 rounds at 7 yards, rapid fire, resulted in 16 rounds in a paper plate with a spread of about 6”. I think it is plenty good enough for what may be required of it.

One of the issues I have with this pistol is a polymer (some sort of plastic) rear sight that is drift adjustable. After regulating the sight, it seems to be a tad loose in the dovetail. I may have to seek out a replacement (made of metal, of course) that will be more durable. I can see where this may eventually be a problem. The sights themselves are similar to the Glunks - - a white “U” outline on the rear and a dot on the front. Acquisition is easy, and repeatable.

Another issue that we had was the magazines would drop freely (initially) when we started, but as the pistol became slightly fouled, the magazine release became reminiscent of a typical European pistol and required to be pulled from the well.

Overall, the pistol fit and function was good, accuracy was consistent, and with time, it should be a good shooter. Just need to get some of the kinks worked out. We will see how the trigger feels after another 500 rounds or so. I will start the process of looking for a new rear sight to replace the factory rear.

With regard to how well the Wife is shooting it, she wants to get some more trigger time with it before she makes a decision as to whether or not she likes it or the Springfield XD-9 better. The good news is that she is willing to get more time on the range with it, and she wants to take it along with the XD to see which she likes better, alternately shooting the two pistols. The bad news is that I think I will have difficulty keeping up with reloading, but at least the 4.4 grains of Unique and the 125 gr LRN cast load is accurate, reliable, and comfortable for her to practice with.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Re: CZ P-07 Duty - - w/ Range Report

Great range report. Thanks!

One of the local shops has a bunch of used CZs in stock right now, for slightly over $300 and looking barely used...if at all.

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

CZ Custom has everything imaginable for the CZ pistols...
http://czcustom.com/

With a page or two devoted to P-07 parts, both factory and custom...
http://czcustom.com/cz75p07dutyparts.aspx

Looks like you have a few different options available for rear sights. The limited experience I've had with Angus has all been positive, with quick shipping and high quality products.

Roe

Heck...you might as well get her a nice T-shirt when you order...
http://czcustom.com/ladiepinksquezzeourtiggerstshirt.aspx

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts

I'd love to see the look on PJ's face when he sees one of those T-shirts properly filled out.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

So would I! :D

I want one that says, "Go Ahead..............Stroke My Trigger!" :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

I don't claim to be the Master Of Anything. But a good stroke with the right trigger can be a wonderful thing. 8)

Weren't we talking about guns, at some point? ::)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Speaking of stroking triggers, PJ...

...just recently, don't I remember you saying you were a master of the double action?

Roe
WOW!..lol :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts

GUNS, people, we were talking about GUNS! ::)

Oy Vey.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: CZ P-07 Duty - - Follow-up

Well, I won't be shooting any CZ's for a while - - at least, not until I get another one.

Was at the range, banging away with it. Put six rounds into one ragged hole with four outlying shots, which opened the group to ~1-1/2" for ten shots at 15 yards. The guy next to me was watching and asked if he could give it a whirl. He put ten rounds into a four inch group at the same 15 yards. He was amazed at how it felt and how it shot for him. He said he normally can't shoot a pistol for beans, and though he has some handguns, he rarely shoots them because of how his shooting makes him feel.

We started talking, and he really wanted it. We got to talking more about guns in general, but he kept drifting back to how much he liked that pistol. Eventually, the subject of a trade came up. Four hours later, at the house, after some serious discussion with my Wife, and seeing what he had to offer, we made a trade.

I am now the proud owner of an M-1 Garand. It has a Springfield Armory receiver, and all the parts are Springfield with the exception of a HRA gas plug. Near as I can tell, it (the receiver) was made in October of 1943.

Did I do good?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Since it was for an M-1 Garand, made during the Big One, you are forgiven.

If it had been traded for a Marlin, you'd be getting some serious kudos!

What did that guy have in "handguns he doesn't shoot much"?

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
As one older fisherman told me when I was whining about working around a bad area, worrying about tearing up nets,
"Son, they make new ones every day."

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
planeflyer21 said:
... What did that guy have in "handguns he doesn't shoot much"?
He mentioned a Harrington-Richardson .22 revolver, and a .45 ACP. I pressed him on the .45 ACP and it turns out to be a 1911 of some flavor that he acquired from his Dad. Pretty sad when you have guns you don't shoot because they leave you feeling pitiful... ::) Guess he just needs to get them out more often, and maybe get some coaching.

Barenjager said:
Yeah...but I feel sorry for you, pal. Your wife's going to hold this over you for quite a while. ::)
Visiting with the Wife took a while, but she finally admitted that she likes the Springfield XD-9 better than she did the new CZ. Even though she has only shot ~100 rounds with the CZ in one session, it was obvious that something about it just didn't "fit". At first, she tried to blame it on the sights, but that argument went out the window after she saw how it was grouping for me. Then she tried to say the texture of the grips bothered her, which I can understand - the texture is fairly aggressive, but I don't know if that is a plausible explanation of why she didn't shoot it so well.

Before we all finally agreed upon a mutually amicable trade, I had her handle, heft, dry-fire, etc. both the CZ P-07 and the XD-9 a few more times. Then she finally offered the conclusion that she actually liked the XD-9 more than CZ. Then she bestowed the official "blessing" on the trade. Hopefully, I will be able to remember her exact words, should she choose to brow-beat me with the trade issue later on. Of course, we all know how that conversation will likely go... ::)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts