Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a bolt action .22 to scope and use for serious target shooting. Other than basing your decision on the price difference, what would you buy, a CZ American or Ruger 77/22?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Cz or Marlin will out shoot the Ruger on its best day..

G

·
I have never used either for target, but have tried both for hunting and for what its worth found the Ruger to be the most reliable and accurate of them. This was comparing a base model CZ against the all weather 77/22.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
With the Ruger you have the option of switching barrels down the line: Bull, Running Boar, tapered Match, 22LR or either of the 17 LR's... Green Mountain makes a slew of barrels for the 77/22, and Timney makes a really nice replacement sear for about $30. I have a 77/17HMR with a "Running Boar" barrel. It is TOO cool.~Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd take the CZ any day over the Ruger!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't tell you a thing about the Ruger 77 except what I'm sure you already know--they are kind of pricey. I can however, tell you that the CZ 452 is simply a superb firestick. The one I have is the Euro-lux model--yeah, the one with the droopy butt. I must be cut from some kind of European stock, because the droopy butt fits me better than anything else I've got. This is especially noticable when the open sights are used.

Speaking of open sights, the 452 probably has some of the best that are available. On the other hand, I don't believe one could be happy just using open sites on this magnificent rifle. This gem just begs to be challenged to the extremes of the .22's limits. I don't even think about insulting my 452 with anything under 100 yards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you cannot beat an 880SQ as a great starting point for a scoped .22.... unless you can find a CZ-452 Trainer/Special. The original beech stock is well made and highly functional, although I have seen better character in pallet wood. Expect the out-the-door price to be $229, before s/h or ST, or so now... the prettier Turkish walnut stocked 'Lux' version is about $80 more. All of the CZ-452's have a match-like chamber and an excellent hammer-forged barrel, with an adjustable trigger. Quite a package 'as-is'. Lots of CZ info in the so-named section of the rimfirecentral.com forum.

I have a Swift 676 4-12x40A/O in some BKL-257 rings atop my Trainer, less the front & rear sights, and a Harris Bi-Pod. Great combo. I also have the 'Super Exclusive' (aka 'Ultra Lux' or 'Super BRNO 2500'.) in both the very limited walnut and the orange-stained beech. The first is beautiful... the latter hideous - but functional! They were limited runs from last fall - 28.8" barrels (vs 24.8" for the Trainer.), gold trigger, RH cheek pad, and, that all-important recoil butt pad! With that long barrel - and long sight radius - those military style sights, both ends adjustable, are fantastic. Somewhat optimistic for a .22, the rear sight is calibrated out to 300 meters (The 'Trainer' is calibrated to 200 meters.).

Now, if you must 'settle' for a Marlin 880SQ - or a Savage MKII BV - you'll still be quite happy. Just use decent rings and a decent scope. I predict you'll be happy with any reasonable choice. Note: I have never had a Ruger that didn't have a cylinder, so I cannot speak to them. My best ever Marlin .22 was an 1897CB... best due to it's great looks and super barrel... it's trigger, however, was the absolute worst I had ever 'experienced', so it went to someone who would appreciate it more.

Glad to see a re-birth of Marlin 'talk'!

Stainz

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Serious target work? Hmmm...... I would not limit my choices that narrowly. Here's just a few....

The Romainian 69 trainer beats both choices on price.

For really serious target work, select a real target rifle- The Winchester 52 target comes to mind here. I've seen them priced anywhere from 300 dollars and up.

Izamash Biathlon trainer- very good reports on this one accuracy wise on RFC....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doc Sharptail said:
Serious target work? Hmmm...... I would not limit my choices that narrowly. Here's just a few....

The Romainian 69 trainer beats both choices on price.

For really serious target work, select a real target rifle- The Winchester 52 target comes to mind here. I've seen them priced anywhere from 300 dollars and up.

Izamash Biathlon trainer- very good reports on this one accuracy wise on RFC....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
I really would like an American product if possible. That is why I had high hopes for the new Remington 504, but alas...Thanks, think I'll start a search for a Winchester. Again, appreciate all replies.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You could always save up and buy a nice Sako or an Anschutz.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
KyBlue51,
Hate to burst your bubble, but of the two you originally mentioned, the CZ American is not a US made rifle. It's called the American because of the classic American style stock. It's made in Czechslovakia. like the other CZ products.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For target use, I'll stick to my BSA Martini International, or my BSA Martini Model 15. For Americam Made, I'd have to go with the Ruger, More accessories available than any other American Made.

Lee L.

·
Registered
199 Posts
marlinman93 said:
KyBlue51,
Hate to burst your bubble, but of the two you originally mentioned, the CZ American is not a US made rifle. It's called the American because of the classic American style stock. It's made in Czechslovakia. like the other CZ products.
I think that would be the Czech Republic. Not sure about the spelling.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice shootin Lefty, but I hope you don't always limit yourself to that short distance with your CZ. As i said, I wouldn't insult my 452 with anything under 100 yards--Just kidding. Seriously though, was that with open sights or a scope?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sasquatch said:
Leftoverdj~ what ya pay for that firestick?? And what kind of sights you using???
Paid $340 a year ago and I have an ancient Weaver K-10 on it. That's an exceptional group for cheap ammo, but it'll come close to that with match ammo pretty steadily. American Eagle 40 grain RN was doing about as good for me today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts