Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need another full sized auto like I need a hole in my head but the CZ 97B 45ACP has really caught my eye. Does anyone have one or have any experience with one? I'm going to search out one in the blued finish (at least thats my plan) instead of the polycoat version.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Holy gunsmoke, Batman, there's a gun in this world that neither Roe or PJ own, or have owned :eek: :eek: :eek: ??
Rock my world, over.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Once upon a time... well, yes I have shot a CZ 97B- quite a bit in fact. I had a friend who had both a 97B and a 75B. We went out shooting 2 times and we traded back and forth shooting each others guns. Both of these CZ's were unnaturally accurate. Tight groups and absolutely flawless function. I was so impressed with both of these guns that I told him if he ever wanted to sell one of them I would give him whatever he paid for them. He elected to sell me the CZ-75B. When he bought these he was on hard times and things caught up with him. I knew his family wasn't comfortable with him having guns- and money was tight- I gave him what he paid for it and it was/is a great shooter. I would rather have had the 97- it was a better shooter- but not a good fit for me- its a long reach for that DA trigger. But it was really accurate....

More to the story, but those are the basics. Hope that helps.

M

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I've heard pretty much nothing but good about the 97B. To the point that I'd probally also have one in my safe except for the fact it's a bloody big gun for my little mitts.

The EAA Witness 45 frame seems quite a bit smaller, although I haven't been able to do a side-by-side. However, the 97B appears to have better accuracy and reliability than the already good Witness.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I would suggest to look at the H&K HK45, but you might not like the price. On the other hand, street price considered you should be able to find one more less than $200 more than the CZ, which would be worth it to me for the insanely good ergonomics, the ambidextrous controls, the lighter weight, the really neat recoil system, etc. I'm just really liking my P30, which is a more compact, 9mm sort of downscaled version of the HK45 (the P30 is also available in 40). I just bring this up because it doesn't seems like they're very well known, although the level of development and refinement really seems to be top notch.

The CZs in general are very nice, though, can hardly go wrong...it's just, wow, those CZ97s sure look and feel big. Not quite into Desert Eagle territory, but...

Ever consider a S&W revolver chambered in .45ACP...maybe a Mountain Gun? It's pretty amazing watching a right handed person that knows what they're doing with those moon clips...I half wonder if they're not faster than a 1911?

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Folks, we're talking about the benefits and/or problems of a CZ-97. Not 45's in general. The only reason I brought up the EAA was it's a clone of the CZ and would be closest to the OP's choice. I never intended to pull the topic so far afield. :)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
He didn't specify that the thoughts had to be only about the CZ97, so I didn't see a problem in mentioning some close competitors that he may not have considered.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
miatakix said:
I would suggest to look at the H&K HK45, but you might not like the price. On the other hand, street price considered you should be able to find one more less than $200 more than the CZ, which would be worth it to me for the insanely good ergonomics, the ambidextrous controls, the lighter weight, the really neat recoil system, etc. I'm just really liking my P30, which is a more compact, 9mm sort of downscaled version of the HK45 (the P30 is also available in 40). I just bring this up because it doesn't seems like they're very well known, although the level of development and refinement really seems to be top notch.

The CZs in general are very nice, though, can hardly go wrong...it's just, wow, those CZ97s sure look and feel big. Not quite into Desert Eagle territory, but...

Ever consider a S&W revolver chambered in .45ACP...maybe a Mountain Gun? It's pretty amazing watching a right handed person that knows what they're doing with those moon clips...I half wonder if they're not faster than a 1911?
Thanks for all of the replies! I already have an H&K USP and several revolvers although no 45ACP revolver, I'm partial to an ACP in an auto. The CZ is very large and maybe larger than I would like but it is an interesting gun. Like I said, I could get along just fine without one so my main questions revolve around accuracy, reliability or any other interesting features that someone may have personal knowledge of. I am also considering the CZ 75.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I have no personal experience with the CZ 97 but I do have a CZ 75B even though I'm not a big fan of the 9mm. It happens to be the very gun mentioned in Maudite's post. I haven't yet put a lot of rounds through it, probably no more than 200, maybe 250 or so, but the pistol has been completely reliable with both factory and reloaded FMJ and hollow points. This particular CZ has been far more accurate than a "service pistol" has a right to be, with 5 shot groups at 25 yards hovering right around an inch with my handloads.

I've done a few things to the 75...a set of cocobolo grips, removing the magazine brake and replacing it with a flat divider, and a trigger job that made a world of difference. The trigger work was not terribly difficult but it's not necessarily something I'd recommend most folks undertaking. Three hands and lots of patience is required, but the results were worth the tribulations.

The remarkable accuracy, the better than expected DA pull (after the action work), the ability to carry cocked & locked, the comfortable and ergonomic grip frame, and the lack of plastic, has surprised and impressed me so far...the caliber the only hesitation. The 97 would remove that last stumbling block, but if the trigger reach is much more than the 75, it may be a little more stretch than I could muster. The bright side...the ability to carry C&L eliminates that long DA reach.

Roe

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Barenjager said:
I have no personal experience with the CZ 97 but I do have a CZ 75B even though I'm not a big fan of the 9mm. It happens to be the very gun mentioned in Maudite's post. I haven't yet put a lot of rounds through it, probably no more than 200, maybe 250 or so, but the pistol has been completely reliable with both factory and reloaded FMJ and hollow points. This particular CZ has been far more accurate than a "service pistol" has a right to be with 5 shot groups at 25 yards hovering right around an inch with my handloads.

I've done a few things to the 75...a set of cocobolo grips, removing the magazine brake and replacing it with a flat divider, and a trigger job that made a world of difference. The trigger work was not terribly difficult but it's not necessarily something I'd recommend most folks undertaking. Three hands and lots of patience is required, but the results were worth the tribulations.

The remarkable accuracy, the better than expected DA pull (after the action work), the ability to carry cocked & locked, the comfortable and ergonomic grip frame, and the lack of plastic, has surprised and impressed me so far...the caliber the only hesitation. The 97 would remove that last stumbling block, but if the trigger reach is much more than the 75, it may be a little more stretch than I could muster. The bright side...the ability to carry C&L eliminates that long DA reach.

Roe
Barenjager, That is a beautiful handgun! If opt to go with the 75 I think I will go with the 40 cal. What brand of trigger parts did you use or did you modify/polish the factory parts?

Thanks,

Festus

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
I've long lusted after several of the CZ handguns, but have yet to come across a deal on one. In the meantime, I've still got my Witness 40, a gun I picked up back in the tail end of 1990, still shoot fairly often, and it's good enough to make me want more Witnesses. So in April of 2009, thanks to Thren68, I found a deal on a Witness Match 45ACP, bought it, and wrote it up in these very pages. It's not a CZ, but comparing the Witness Match to the CZ 97B, there wouldn't be a lot of glaring differences, aside from the delightful SA trigger on my gun. As Thren68 pointed out, it's not a small gun by any means, and in DA mode the trigger could be a long reach for many folks. But if the size and reach aren't problems for you, it would be an excellent pickup, CZ guns are often discounted well below what the MSRP would suggest they sell for.

As Thren68 pointed out, you don't often hear bad things about the CZ's, and my experience mirrors his. I can only offer photos of my gun, but as you can see, there are few differences, at least in the appearance.

I think you need to buy one, shoot it a lot, then write up your results for the edification of your loyal fans here. 8)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
papajohn said:
I've long lusted after several of the CZ handguns, but have yet to come across a deal on one. In the meantime, I've still got my Witness 40, a gun I picked up back in the tail end of 1990, still shoot fairly often, and it's good enough to make me want more Witnesses. So in April of 2009, thanks to Thren68, I found a deal on a Witness Match 45ACP, bought it, and wrote it up in these very pages. It's not a CZ, but comparing the Witness Match to the CZ 97B, there wouldn't be a lot of glaring differences, aside from the delightful SA trigger on my gun. As Thren68 pointed out, it's not a small gun by any means, and in DA mode the trigger could be a long reach for many folks. But if the size and reach aren't problems for you, it would be an excellent pickup, CZ guns are often discounted well below what the MSRP would suggest they sell for.

As Thren68 pointed out, you don't often hear bad things about the CZ's, and my experience mirrors his. I can only offer photos of my gun, but as you can see, there are few differences, at least in the appearance.

I think you need to buy one, shoot it a lot, then write up your results for the edification of your loyal fans here. 8)
PapaJohn, that is a great looking pistol, I love two tone guns... I will be happy to wring it out and then write it up... especially if you have some of your good handloads to run through it ;D... I hope to get to the gun shop next week, I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
Golly Festus, thanks for the kind and oh-so-generous offer ::), but there's no need to wring this one out...........it's been wrung out plenty. In the first month I had it I poured about 3000 rounds through it, and it gets shot pretty frequently. I just ordered another 2000 bullets last night, I plan on keeping it busy this summer. 8)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
papajohn said:
Golly Festus, thanks for the kind and oh-so-generous offer ::), but there's no need to wring this one out...........it's been wrung out plenty. In the first month I had it I poured about 3000 rounds through it, and it gets shot pretty frequently. I just ordered another 2000 bullets last night, I plan on keeping it busy this summer. 8)
At your pace, 2000 bullets is what, one or two outings ;D? I've been looking at the EAA website, man they are nice and at a fair price! Do you shoot cast or plated bullets in the EAA?

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
The 40 and the Match see both types of ammo, the target loads are home-cast and the hotter loads are plated or jacketed. The short-slide 45 Match (SA trigger also) has only seen jacketed stuff, I carry it a lot off duty. I have it on right now, as a matter of fact!

Does anyone here actually own a CZ-97? I'd love to hear some feedback. 8)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
papajohn said:
The 40 and the Match see both types of ammo, the target loads are home-cast and the hotter loads are plated or jacketed. The short-slide 45 Match (SA trigger also) has only seen jacketed stuff, I carry it a lot off duty. I have it on right now, as a matter of fact!

Does anyone here actually own a CZ-97? I'd love to hear some feedback. 8)
PJ, Does the short slide pack pretty well? What type of holster do you use while packing?

I was also hoping to get some feedback from someone that owns one...

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
Festus, this shorty 45 is a bit of an anomoly, there isn't another one quite like it. You can buy the same frame/slide configuration, but this one was designed and built for the former U-S Sales Mgr of EAA, and he had it built as a carry gun. (Which is actually pretty funny, since he lived in Illinois at the time......no CCW there!)

As for holsters, it came with a custom leather holster, but the bloody thing is so tight that I don't use it much. Instead I use the same Galco Horsehide rig that I carry my 1911 in, it fits just fine and draws as slick as you please.

The downside to carrying these double-stack pistols (especially in 45ACP) is that the butt is pretty hard to hide unless you have a bulky cover garment. In winter it's fine, in warmer weather I switch to thinner guns. But I sure do like packing a pistol that hold eleven rounds of 45, with ten more close by!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
papajohn said:
Festus, this shorty 45 is a bit of an anomoly, there isn't another one quite like it. You can buy the same frame/slide configuration, but this one was designed and built for the former U-S Sales Mgr of EAA, and he had it built as a carry gun. (Which is actually pretty funny, since he lived in Illinois at the time......no CCW there!)

As for holsters, it came with a custom leather holster, but the bloody thing is so tight that I don't use it much. Instead I use the same Galco Horsehide rig that I carry my 1911 in, it fits just fine and draws as slick as you please.

The downside to carrying these double-stack pistols (especially in 45ACP) is that the butt is pretty hard to hide unless you have a bulky cover garment. In winter it's fine, in warmer weather I switch to thinner guns. But I sure do like packing a pistol that hold eleven rounds of 45, with ten more close by!
Very nice! Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts