Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this isn't our typical lever gun posting, just a little side project I finished this weekend. I picked up a decent little CZ-52 a few weeks ago, and liked it enough to improve upon it. After a little trigger work it was a very respectable shooter, but the ergos were crisp and cramped, and the thing was just begging for a snazzier finish to go with its rocketship lines.

Here it is with grip edges all melted, trigger guard undercut, and some pretty black walnut grips. Heel mag release and safety got lightened up too for easier manipulation, and I removed the lanyard loop to get it out of the way. I gotta tell ya, it feels as good in the hand as it looks. It's one of those "why didn't I get one of these sooner?" type guns. It's a keeper.

Still life photography Everyday carry Still life Rust Wallet

Gun Revolver Handgun holster Trigger Starting pistol

Attachments

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Could become my new carry for awhile.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark. Very happy.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
That's very cool. To be honest I was expecting a VZ52 rifle. Now I'll just have to imagine what you would do to one of those

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They clean up nice for a cheap milsurp gun don't they. Thing is, like most of what CZ makes, the quality of these old pistols is very high. They've come a way since the 52 in terms of ergos and controls, but the design work and manufacturing are very good, then and now. The roller lock delay system works well, and the gun is pleasingly simple. This one will get some improved sights, but at this point there isn't much to complain about. I've got another on the way just cuz.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one of those. It certainly does not look like that. Beautiful pistol!
Btw, I got those purdy walnut grips from grips4u.net. IMO they make the gun. They were a perfect fit and finish right out of the box, and very reasonable at $60. I recommend.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been doing some loading for the little '52 lately, and what fun that has been! The CZ is widely regarded to be one of the strongest platforms in this chambering, so naturally I've been pushing the loads a bit. The fastest load Hornady lists for its 90gr XTP runs around 1700fps with a max charge of H110 powder. With bad weather here I haven't had a chance to set up a chrony, but I duplicated their load exactly (Hornady tested in a mod 52), and the pistol handled them easily, with no signs of pressure or strain. I also tried a couple other powders in this magnum pistol burn range, such as Lil' Gun and Alliant's terrific new 300MP behind some 110gr RNs made for the M1 carbine. Everything shot well--the gun is a tack driver--and even the hottest loads ran perfectly.

The best part though, was the great balls of fire. With the slow powders the diminutive Tok round acts for all the world like a big belching magnum revolver. It's friggin' awesome! The guys next to me were beside themselves (in a good way). I was shooting at twilight, and they paused, laughing in amazement, every time I touched off. These loads wouldn't do for bedside self defense, but man are they fun. It's interesting to note too, that at these velocities the little Tok delivers 10mm auto energy levels, and they do a number on, well, stuff that most pistol rounds don't go through.

I have a couple more 52s on the way. I'm thinking stocking stuffers...

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Congratulations. You do great work. That's a keeper.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice work, I'm a sucker for C&R guns. You didn't mention in the original post but what did you finish it with?
Thanks. We use KG Gun Kote on metal. Lots of colors to choose from and much better than Cerakote.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nice work, I'm a sucker for C&R guns. You didn't mention in the original post but what did you finish it with?
The slide is KG gun metal gray, which I like for its classy, almost raw, aged steel look. The metal flake helps hide the minor imperfections inherent in com-bloc mass production too. The frame is also Gun Kote, but a two step process that I picked up from one of the kind folks at KG. An undercoat of black--in this case flat teflon--followed up with a thin brush of light blue. The latter is actually a milky pearl in the can, but gives the black its deep electric blue when applied sparingly. I've used the technique on a couple of my handguns and like it a lot. The blue helps the walnut grips pop out nicely.

·
Administrator
29,066 Posts
I like it, Adam. A CZ 52 would be a hoot to shoot. When we escape commie CA I might pick one up and send to you to trick out. I see a few on GB at a decent price. Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the thread.

Jack

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
That looks sweet Adam! I had one of the 52s for a few years, surprising performance with the 7.62X25. Couldn't believe how flat it shot, looking at yours I kinda wish I still had it. DP

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks sweet Adam! I had one of the 52s for a few years, surprising performance with the 7.62X25. Couldn't believe how flat it shot, looking at yours I kinda wish I still had it. DP
Thanks DPE. Good news is, there are still lots out there, often in the neighborhood of $300. Considering similarly priced alternatives, the '52 looks pretty darn good. Heck of a "truck gun" if nothing else. Wish CZ made a model 75 in 7.62x25. That'd be something else...

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW
1 - 20 of 23 Posts