Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at having my Marlin 1894 44 magnum cut down to an 18" barrel.

I'm looking at it and i'm wondering what is done about the front barrel band when this is done? I've seen some photo's of various cut down 1894's some with the barrel band still and some without. I simply want to have an idea of how to go about it and get the best result when I take it to my gunsmith so any help would be greatly appreciatged.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
All I have to say about it is "WHY ??? " . . You want to take a perfectly good rifle and cut off the end? You will have to retap the front sight as well as mess with the barrel band and the barrel will have to be recrowned. It is your gun and yours to do with as you wish but I just have never understood why folks do these things . . . .

GB45

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Don't most 1894's already have an 18.5" barrel? Why cut it down?
My 1894SS in .44Mag and .45Colt have 20 inch barrels. My CSS .357 has 18.5" and so does the C model (Blued so I don't have one). The plain 1894 also has a 20 inch barrel but again I do not understand why you would want to take off 1.5 inches if you do have a 20" barrel. . . . . . .

GB45

Hey OZ - how you doing my friend?

Reactions: Oz

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Don't most 1894's already have an 18.5" barrel? Why cut it down?
Most 44 round barrels are 20 inch. Some people like a shorter barrel. If that is the OP's wish then it is his right to pursue happiness in his own way. I would never cut down my 1894 but what I think about that is irrelevant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why? well that's a fair question guys, It's a 20" Barrel which isn't a big problem for me although I do like short barrel lever guns such as trappers Etc. However the main reason I've been thinking of having it cut down is because the front sight is tapped slightly crooked and it bothers me to no end as I'm kinda fussy like that and I figure the loss in velocity for the 2 inches of barrel will be relatively negligible. So having the barrel cut down will leave me with a straight front sight and a rifle that I'll only like even more than I already do because as I said I like my levers guns short.

Now that we've solved that, is any one able to answer my original question?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I guess you'll have to move it back a little, if you want anything more than a simple post front sight, and if the magazine tube endcap is to remain accessable.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Micksis - If I understand the process of making your barrel shorter once the barrel and magazine tube have been shortened the band is repositioned and a drill used to amke a slight "groove" in the underside of the barrel to allow the screw to pass between the barrel and magazine tube. Also may have to lightly shorten the magazine tube spring. If doing the work yourself mark the position and remove the magazine tube then make the groove with a small swiss round file. The groove does not have to be very deep. I may stand corrected by those more experienced, but that is what I understand at this time. Shenandoah

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, There is no way i'd do it myself.

As I said I've seen some cut down marlins with no barrel band and some with. I think i prefer having the barrel band.

When are you planning on having it done SM336?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you must cut it down and don't know what to do with the barrel band you could shorten the mag tube back to the forearm and do away with the front barrel band altogether. Of course if you do that you will shorten your mag capacity from 10 rounds to 5 which would probably only inconvenience you if you do CAS.
I don't shoot anything that requires more than 5 rounds so this is the way I would do it.

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
Probably end up a touch less than 18". You need to measure back to where the screw is for the front band currently. You'll want the barrel cut just behind that so the grooves in the mag tube and barrel don't show. Or, you can have them cut back to just in front of the band where it sits now and mount the front sight behind the band like they used to be. That should eliminate the front sight holes.

If you want the look to remain the same and move the band back, the inside of the band has to be relieved to fit over the fatter portion of barrel as it moves back. Not a huge deal just more shop rate is all. The mounting grooves are simple.

Another option is to lose the front band and modify the tube/get the parts for a stud hanger.

If you're going to modify it, consider everything now. What about 16"? Full length tube or shorten it? And so on. Now is the time to look at a bunch of stuff and take in all the consideration and then decide on the plan you like. You may have already done all that just tossing it out there.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Well since there is a problem with the front sight that does make more sense so with a little PHOTOSHOP work you could make it look like this -

I think you still need the barrel band to keep the tubes aligned and keep the mag tube from slipping out due to the spring pressure.

You will also have to cut the mag tube.

Before:
Marlin 1894SS 44 Magnum .jpg
After:
Marlin 1894SS 44 Magnum Cut.jpg
Or cut to 16 without a band - -
Marlin 1894SS 44 Magnum Cut 16.jpg

GB45

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yeah, There is no way i'd do it myself.

As I said I've seen some cut down marlins with no barrel band and some with. I think i prefer having the barrel band.

When are you planning on having it done SM336?
I'd like It to happen ASAP...... Just waiting for the gunsmith to tell me to drop it off. I think they're about six months out. :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have no comment other than ---- please post pics BEFORE and AFTER

sounds interesting to observe etc

some dood next month may ask same question maybe

would like to hear and see what you are doing and what the "Smith" did and how it turned out.

best of luck with it, probably if I were doing it - sounds like a good op to go to 16.5" inches "Trapper" style.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The barrel band is what keeps the magazine tube from going sproing off the end. So if it's removed entirely, you or the gunsmith would have to come up with some means to keep the magazine in place. The tube isn't screwed into the receiver as on some tube-feds, it just floats in a recess. This keeps the barrel from getting tweaked as it heats up. If you change the magazine end-cap screw so it directly threads into the barrel as I've seen done with some custom rifles, you change that floating tube to one that's firmly attached. That may change the barrel's accuracy.

If you're going to all that trouble, might as well get a custom barrel, change the twist and bore diameter and make a job of it.

Stan S.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am with stans on this one. You might hollar at Lew over at Grizzly Custom. He might not make you wait six months, and he does awesome work.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
I read a" how to" post in the gunsmithing section on this procedure....I have an 1894 357 that had the barrel and mag tube damaged...its been cut back to the sight-- 17"-- and the mag is now contained in the forearm---4 + 1....5 rounds is ok would like to put a longer mag on it...maybe next winter...

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I am with stans on this one. You might hollar at Lew over at Grizzly Custom. He might not make you wait six months, and he does awesome work.
Don't think GRIZZLY will work on .44Mag. I asked them about reboring my .44Mag to .45Colt and they said they do not work on those calibers but you can check with them and maybe they have changed since 3 months ago.

GB45

1 - 20 of 25 Posts