Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1894C in 357 with a bulged chamber. (Don't ask, it makes me cry.) The gun is basically new, less than 500 rounds thru it. In talking to a local gunsmith, he thinks he can cut an inch-and-a-half off the chamber end, recut the chamber and re-thread it, and give me a shorty 357. I love the idea, I'm just not sure of a few things. I have no problem with cutting down the mag tube to make it match, I can do that myself in five minutes. I had thought of a half-mag tube like the 1894CL, but I don't want to reduce capacity that much. If I can get seven or eight rounds in it, I'm happy. Is there anything that makes this more complicated than it sounds? The other option is to send it back to Marlin for a straight re-barrel. The local guy is about an hour away, and it might be as simple as "Come on in, gimme the gun, go get us lunch, and I'll be done when you get back."

Is there something I'm forgetting about that might complicate this?

Thanks for mulling this over with me!

Papajohn

·
Registered
62 Posts
My biggest question is about the cost. Ask for firm price quotes (in writing) including completion dates and warranties for each of the options you are considering. Any reputable dealer will provide it.

Another option you haven't mentioned is to buy a new barrel from Marlin yourself and have it installed by a local smith. That might be quicker and cheaper.

Jim H

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just pack it up and send it back to Marlin. You will have it back in no time. And it will be better than new. I have had them fix new guns and do cowboy conversions. They have fixed old guns for me and my sons.
And they come back better than new.
I bought a new 1894 357mag a few years back and the triger was so bad I didn't want to shoot it. I called them and was told to send it in. Well when I got it back it was as good as it can get.
Marlin has always been good to work with and it will be done right.

Good Luck >>> Tombstone

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The CB Conversion changes what, exactly? I'm kinda more inclined to make it shorter, if anything. Probably gonna make it into the next Scout Conversion, I'm hooked on it.

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Only issue with cutting it down and then reinstalling it, would be making sure the sights are straight when done and that it headspaces correctly. Some have to be tinkered with to get the threading correct for both of those issues. Might want to think about how much freebore you want since it will be being rechambered.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
papajohn said:
The CB Conversion changes what, exactly? I'm kinda more inclined to make it shorter, if anything. Probably gonna make it into the next Scout Conversion, I'm hooked on it.

Papajohn
PJ, the CB gives you and octagon bbl, 20" and new fore arm, add the CB smooth buttstock. They may have some of the 24" bbls left.

If you set your bbl back it will have to have a new dovetail cut in it for the fore arm. Buy the new bbl from e-gunparts and have it installed and shortened at that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts