·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Re: Cutting 3/8" dovetail

It says it is discontinued by the manfacturer, maybe they still have them at Midway. Check Brownells also.

·
Registered
107 Posts

While I will say it can be intimidating to cut into a nice barrel, it can be done without a jig. A friend showed me how to cut 1 in my muzzleloader.
Then handed me a hacksaw, a chisel and a safe sided file and I did it remarkably well and probably faster than it would take to set up a jig.
Simply cut a number of cuts to aprox depth, cut ot the waste with chisel, then file flat and undercut the ends.
If you want to practice just take a piece of rod and cut a few for practice.

There are tutorial on the web if you search a bit.

·
Registered
107 Posts

looking at that guide. it should be easy to make one?
Looks like a piece of heavy angle iron with the point filed flat and a notch cut the right length and depth. one could use a torpedo level or the stick on bubbles found in the RV section at the Walmart or other big box store to level it.
The safe file is just a triangle file with one flat ground off so it won't cut.
You can buy them from Brownells who I highly reccomend, but I just picked up a file at the hardware store and made mine.

Here's a link to one Tutorial on a site where I moderate the rimfire forum.
Twomoons, who wrote the tutorial is a sherrif in Nebraska who does gunsmithing on the side and is very good.
http://huntingfirearms.proboards59.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=rifles&thread=3650&page=1

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

Do remember that usually you are shortening a bbl when cutting a dovetail so you usually have a piece to practice on. If not, get a piece of round or octagon stock to practice on. I have cut dovetails with a hacksaw and a mill file one flat and one triangle no safe file. The article in the link is a very good one. That is basically what I done. Anybody that would do this should own a combo Lathe, Mill, Drill for hobby gunsmithing. Many available and it is nearing Christmas. I own the Smithy, way overpriced but I did not have internet when I was shopping for one.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.