Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this was a surprise weekend. Out of the blue bought a 1969 Cutlass S. 350 rocket, 3 speed auto, buckets. Previous owner has the exterior and interior looking new. Unfortunately he passed away, his sister inherited it. Didn’t want it.
Made a impulsive buy. He didn’t work on the engine, that will be my fun. Body and frame are solid. New paint. Either 56k or 156k, thinking the latter.

·
Premium Member
11,189 Posts
Always loved the Cutlass. Good driving and handling and fine looking car as well. Of course the Hurst Olds was the cream of the crop but they were all nice to me. The last one I owned was a 1984 and it was a nice car and still had some of the older body style but not nearly as nice as the late 60's models.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always loved the A body late 60’s GM coupes. Never could afford one in school, had the big body Impala instead.
Chevelle’s have gotten so expensive, even Nova’s. The Cutlass imhop looks almost as nice, but more affordable. Apparently millennials aren’t as into Oldsmobiles, they don’t know the brand. They think of them as we do Packers and Nash.

·
Super Moderator
24,230 Posts
My dad owned that exact same car but it had a 400 ci engine. It was very fun to ride in and drive once I got older.

·
Registered
31,289 Posts
Awesome score!
I would have bought it also!

ca'jun56

Reactions: NewtoSkeet

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 1972 Cutlass was one of my favorites. The bench seat was so comfortable and the Rocket 350 olds engine couldn't be beat. Always started, never let me down. Unfortunately 10years of driving it in salt covered roads in the winter sadly turned it into a rust bucket. but it still started and ran like a champ.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Deceptive car. Those ran pretty good.
My 1972 Cutlass was one of my favorites. The bench seat was so comfortable and the Rocket 350 olds engine couldn't be beat. Always started, never let me down. Unfortunately 10years of driving it in salt covered roads in the winter sadly turned it into a rust bucket. but it still started and ran like a champ.
Friend of mine inherited his rich grandmas '72 Cutty. She toldthe salesman she wanted to be able to climb the hilly streets in Pittsburgh. He set her up right. That was one runnin' Granny ride!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I had a '72 with the Rocket 350. Someone had painted it an ugly blue color. My wife and daughter called it "The Bomb"! I liked it but it needed a lot of TLC (translation-'money') that I didn't have to put into it. But I did end up with a 1973 Cadillac Coupe Deville that I bought for $2500, drove it for 13 years with only minor work and sold it for $2000.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Good luck with that old beauty! There is nothing like American 1960's muscle car's! When I was in my teen's I loved the 60's Chevy Impala. I hade a 1965 and loved it. Then a had a 66 Impala SS. All long gone! I sure do miss the day's you could pick up a 15 year old American car for $200 to $500 and do most of the work that the car need's yourself! One of my favorite cars ever made was the Chevy Chevelle. I loved the 69 model Chevelle's. Never had a 69 but had a 1972 for 5 year's or so!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Nice ride! Congratulations!!!! Great looking car, have fun working the engine to your liking.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Jog, my first car was a 65 Impala Sport Coupe. 283, powerglide. Learned alot, think I replaced everything on the outside of that motor but the carb. Stills wonder how I did it with no internet or experience.
Last V8 was a 67 Impala SS 4-speed, sold for 2750 in 1985, having kids, no toys. Those SS Impalas are huge money today.
So happy I have a good enabling wife, we’ve been watching Mecum for years, she knows the market, and that the price was fair.

·
Premium Member
5,860 Posts
Deceptive car. Those ran pretty good.
Friend of mine inherited his rich grandmas '72 Cutty. She toldthe salesman she wanted to be able to climb the hilly streets in Pittsburgh. He set her up right. That was one runnin' Granny ride!
Thank you for post reply you put a smile on my face. My second oldest brother Nick move to Frackville [Frackville is a borough in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania] many years ago. He used to say a 4 cylinder car can not make the hills in PA. unless you go up the in reverse. He past a time ago. He was a good person and a loving brother to me.

·
Banned
3,321 Posts
ive always liked gm cars, my second car was a 66 lesabre 375 wildcat, my third car was a 69 2 door nova straight 6 with three on the tree. both were great cars and were only taken off the road when they were too smashed up to be safe anymore. yeah I had a bit of a wild childhood.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Always loved the A body late 60’s GM coupes. Never could afford one in school, had the big body Impala instead.
Chevelle’s have gotten so expensive, even Nova’s. The Cutlass imhop looks almost as nice, but more affordable. Apparently millennials aren’t as into Oldsmobiles, they don’t know the brand. They think of them as we do Packers and Nash.
With few minor details all a bodies of each given year are the same sheet metal.

I can easily transform a 69 cutlas to a 69 chevelle or skylark ect ect. Firewall to rear valence panel they are the same.
Change the front clip, interior, and tail lights to any a body you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hey Jog, my first car was a 65 Impala Sport Coupe. 283, powerglide. Learned alot, think I replaced everything on the outside of that motor but the carb. Stills wonder how I did it with no internet or experience.
Last V8 was a 67 Impala SS 4-speed, sold for 2750 in 1985, having kids, no toys. Those SS Impalas are huge money today.
So happy I have a good enabling wife, we’ve been watching Mecum for years, she knows the market, and that the price was fair.
Just a adjustable wrench and hammer with a Chilton book!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts