Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you can see from my picture I have damebamage ;).....is there one kit that includes everything I need that is decent quality .....just looking at the all the reloading stuff on midway makes me feel like first day of college again

·
Banned
244 Posts
I don't know about "kits" but all you need to load top quality ammo is,press, dies,loading manual, scale.Next thing you would want is a case trimmer or trim die.Next a powder measure and powder trickler and last but not least a primer turner. Lots of nice things to dream about but with the above you'll be a happy camper.Duh forgot to mention a vernier caliper. Frank

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
None of the kits contain "everything"...but they all contain most of the essentials to load ammo.

The RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kits are nice and will get you started, after you have a kit...the other stuff you will need won't be so confusing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
One of the great pleasures of sporting life is having custom ammo loaded for you. Done well, you achieve what you want ballistically without the investment in the reloading equipment. www.superiorammo.net is a proven source for high quality ammo. They make sampler packs, and also will make what you want, within safe limits. For example, you can obtain heavy lead boolits running at moderate velocities. One thing to watch out for is designing a cartridge that won't fit into the Marlin action. The cartridge overall length can be in spec, but the bullet shape could be too wide to properly feed in the Marlin action.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cheapest kit to get started is the lee Loading kit, comes with press, scale, and powder throwers for right under a hundred bucks. The rockchucker is a great starter kit though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As mentioned, the Rockchucker Supreme Kit is a good way to get into reloading. Some of the reloading manuals will have step by step instructions on how to reload, but having a friend with experience is the easiest way and you can learn how to do it in an afternoon. It will save you a lot of money in the long run if you shoot a fair amount.

However, if you don't want to go that route I'll second Superior Ammo. I haven't ordered from them, but I picked up a rifle that came with two boxes of their ammo. The ammo was over a decade old and had no load information on it. I called them and they looked up the order in their files and gave me the load data. They were very nice to deal with.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I'd try reloading. I've got a Lyman T-Mag II turret press, and I reload all my ammo on this, including .45-70.

What I like about it is the versatility. You can change calibers just in a matter of a minuteby changing the turret plate, it is massive and you can switch between stations ( dies ) if you need to. It is a nice "in-between thing" between a single station and a progressive press.

A digital scale comes in handy, too.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
well actually the cheapest way to get into reloading for the 45-70 is the Lee Original loader...the one you wack with a wood hammer or a stick. Under $50! and they make pretty good ammo too.

T-o-m

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok if I go with the lyman what die set do I need.....they offer 3......also what is best powder? best primers? what else besides this do I need....ty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts