Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modified another Winchester Extreme Weather stock for my Marlin X rifle in 260 Rem. Duracoated action and barrel with Tactical Black mixed with Gray Wolf. Talley LW 30mm rings and Vortex HS 4-16x44 30mm scope. Finished with a PTG aluminum Oberndorf trigger guard. Barrel is a Criterion 24" 260 Rem with Match chamber, 1:8 twist heavy sporter contour. Trigger has been modified and set at just under 2lbs. Rifle weighs 9lbs on the button without bipod.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Nice gun. I shoot a little customized Model Seven with a Zeiss 3x9 and a muzzle break. It was hat way when I bought it and it probably weighs 6 1/2 pounds. The older I get I like the lighter and shorter rifles, they are just easier for me to get them into action. It works good with H4350 and a 120 Nosler BT. I really like the 260 Rem but in reality I like them all big and small. Ha

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Man that is a nice rifle in a great caliber!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range report:

I found a great node around 46.3 to 46.7 grs H4831SC with 140 Hybrids and Lapua brass. Speed average around 2800 fps. I first settled on 46.6grs as my OCW, but wanted to run a powder test of 46.3, 46.4, and 46.5 grs. Check to see if I can tighten it up before I fine tune seating depth. 46.5grs put all 5 shots on one hole. Very rare for to get one hole groups at 100 yards, however I tune for more down range performance. I did shoot my original load 46.6grs to 700 yards, and put 4 rounds that stack on each other with group that measured 3" but it was all vertical. The rifle seems to really perform better than my factory modified stock. The factory stock works well, but the EW stock work so much better.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
One fine looking rifle!:congrats:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Very nice rifle. Good choice in caliber.
The .260 is an awesome round. My brother and I did a rifle project a few years ago and decided to build a .260 rifle. I picked the 6.5 bullet because of the low drag, and the size seemed perfect. Started with a Ruger M77SS in .243 that was on sale for around $500.00 (needed the SS Ruger action) and picked up a Shilen match grade #3 contour SS barrel, Timney trigger and glass bedded the laminated stock. Cut the Shilen barrel to 23". I couldn't decide on 22 or 24 so split the difference. The rifle came together perfect. She is a real shooter. Not bad looking either. I'd love to see what she can do at a long range but I do not have access to anything beyond 100 yard range in my area. At 100 yards the groups are about 1/2". This baby can shoot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Modified another Winchester Extreme Weather stock for my Marlin X rifle in 260 Rem. Duracoated action and barrel with Tactical Black mixed with Gray Wolf. Talley LW 30mm rings and Vortex HS 4-16x44 30mm scope. Finished with a PTG aluminum Oberndorf trigger guard. Barrel is a Criterion 24" 260 Rem with Match chamber, 1:8 twist heavy sporter contour. Trigger has been modified and set at just under 2lbs. Rifle weighs 9lbs on the button without bipod.

Man, I still haven't got my .260 set up. It's been sitting around waiting to be bedded for months. How many modified X's have you done now? I might have a deer hunt in October so if that happens I will have to hurry and finish mine. I hope it shoots as good as yours.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FiveinaDime,

I've done two X guns so far. I have 3 X bolt rifles. Going to hunt with both the 7saum or 260 Rem this year. One place I deer hunt the canyons are 450 yards min. So the 7saum will be my choice. I'm thinking of replacing my 30-06 barrel and installing a 6.5 SAUM barrel. Those 6.5 pills work so great. I wish I took some pictures of the 4 shots at 700 yards. 1-cold bore followed up with 3 more. I was blown away how well the Hybrids work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.