Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using XS ghost rings on my 1894P in .44mag, which were nice.

Had a Trijicon RMR on my .22 pistol and decided to try it on the 1894. So I got an XS Lever Scout, mounted it up with a quick detach mount, and it made a fun gun even that much better for my aging eyes.

The Lever Scout is nice, mounted with no issues and provides the ability to change position or even remove the RMR entirely to use the ghost rings. The only thing I did not like was the reduced cheek weld.

So I have prototyped a custom mount (see pic below) that reduced the height of the RMR by 1/2" off of the receiver for much better cheek weld. The only disadvantages are that the RMR is locked in one position.

Question ... would anyone else be interested in these? Depending on feedback, I may make a few and sell them. I did some Googling and could not find anything similar but I would not be surprised at all if someone else beat me to it.

Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Mark, can you please post a top-down pic so I can get an idea of the width across the receiver?
I’ve been hem-hawing over putting a micro red dot reflex sight on my .41 mag, and haven’t seen any pics from above to judge the relative size mounted on the receiver. Was looking at the Vortex Venom.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Neat idea but to be fair that American Defense mount probably added a half inch by itself. If someone ever comes out with an optic low enough to co-witness through a rear peep on a Marlin I bet they would sell like hotcakes. Personally I have no interest in something like this but you should be aware that there is a minimum post count before you try to sell anything here. :top:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been procrastinating on putting the XS on my marlin, and like the work you have done. Maybe i will try machining one for myself...

NOTE- ive modified this text because of rules. While my post count on other tapatalk forums i frequent is high, i mistakenly responded to this thread, thinking it was my cast boolits forum. Sorry for the mistake.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NOTE: In keeping with forum rules, I will not be attempting to sell any of these on this site for now.

358: Yes it looks like the Burris mount holes line up with the standard receiver holes (unless you had custom ones drilled). The Trijicon has a different pattern that is perpendicular to the receiver. No way to really get it lower since you need some thickness for sufficient thread engagement.

Jgriffin: Yes, I suppose you could use the rear mounts (see mock-up image below) without interfering with the hammer. Guess it would be personal preference on how close you want the dot to your eye. That is the advantage of the Lever Scout ... you have a ton of forward-back options to put it where you like it.

Again, the Lever Scout was an OK solution for me and I shot well with it; I just want to minimize the height to optimize cheek weld. I still don't have as much weld as using the Ghost Rings though, which I will keep on for emergency backup.

Room Furniture

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can that be mounted at the rear of the receiver? Does it adversely affect the sight picture/targeting characteristics if mounted all the way back?
Burris recommends mounting it on the back of the receiver but it hangs over and looks like crap. I like it in the forward position. Great sight Picture. I don't know about it mounted on the rear I never shot it that way.
Works great on my 41 Magnum also
Deer Roe deer Terrestrial animal Wildlife Chamois

·
Registered
155 Posts
NOTE: In keeping with forum rules, I will not be attempting to sell any of these on this site for now.

358: Yes it looks like the Burris mount holes line up with the standard receiver holes (unless you had custom ones drilled). The Trijicon has a different pattern that is perpendicular to the receiver. No way to really get it lower since you need some thickness for sufficient thread engagement.

Jgriffin: Yes, I suppose you could use the rear mounts (see mock-up image below) without interfering with the hammer. Guess it would be personal preference on how close you want the dot to your eye. That is the advantage of the Lever Scout ... you have a ton of forward-back options to put it where you like it.

Again, the Lever Scout was an OK solution for me and I shot well with it; I just want to minimize the height to optimize cheek weld. I still don't have as much weld as using the Ghost Rings though, which I will keep on for emergency backup.

View attachment 736373
No this mount is made for the 1894 , 336 ,1895. .500" center to center hole spacing. I'm not understanding why your mount can not be made lower Like the Burris is ? There is not much thread engagement at all on the Burris setup and it works great. Have them on my 357 and 41 Mag 1894’s

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
I was going to put a picatinny rail on top and mount it toward the rear...all the fuss over a proper cheek weld seems a little subjective for a red-dot with unlimited eye relief and zero or near-zero parallax offset.
I have a Skinner peep on my 336SS and love it. I think I’ll go with Leupold’s FX-II Ultralight 2.5 fixed-power on my .41 mag. Henry ... as soon as they go on sale some dang place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No this mount is made for the 1894 , 336 ,1895. .500" center to center hole spacing. I'm not understanding why your mount can not be made lower Like the Burris is ? There is not much thread engagement at all on the Burris setup and it works great. Have them on my 357 and 41 Mag 1894’s
Technology Electronic device Auto part Cameras & optics Camera accessory Camera Digital camera Electronics

This semi-custom mount is the lowest possible setup for the RMR that I have been able to come up with. It adapts an existing Glock mount and sealing plate - discard the dovetail insert and drill mounting holes .500 center to center on the midline of base and use screws from the parts kits to mount the base in either the front or rear scope mount holes on the receiver. Not an inexpensive solution, but gets the MRDS as low as possible for a decent cheek weld.

Parts list:
Trijicon AC32064 RMR Mounting Kit For Glock MOS and Springfield OSP Models
UTG Super Slim RMR Mount for Glock Rear Sight Dovetail

1 - 12 of 12 Posts