Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Custom Self Bow

4K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  tranteruk 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share some pictures of my new custom self bow. The bow is made out of vine maple. It is 64" long, and pulls 52#@28". The tips are bison horn, the handle wrap is leather, the string is fast flight, and the finish is tru oil. The bow was made by Weylin Olive of Swiftwood Bows. I am very happy with this bow, and it really is a work of art.
Tree Wood Trunk Plant
Natural landscape Nature reserve Tree Landscape Grass
Grass Tree Wood Grass family Plant
Wood Tree Grass Grass family Axe

See less See more
#12 ·
Thank you. This bow is definitely for shooting, and I plan to hunt with it. It is a very good shooter, I've been shooting out to 30 yards with it so far. I've been really impressed with it.

#18 ·
Very nice Jake! You pics might convince me to finally take up bow hunting!
Thanks Jay! You know you need another excuse to get out into the woods more often. :wink:

#19 ·
I am pretty much out there now from early November to early January--I bet the wife will just love it if I extend that. :biggrin:

#20 ·
I am pretty much out there now from early November to early January--I bet the wife will just love it if I extend that. :biggrin:
She just might lol ;)

#21 ·
Wow! That bow screams...character! It also screams...DON'T FREAKING SCRATCH ME while hunting!! Still, I would be very happy to hunt with it if I could keep from staring at that lovely grain too much. I'd miss those Whitetails sneaking up on my position.

Nice, beautiful piece of wood ya got there. Berry Berry Nice!

#24 ·
Jake that is beautiful! I have been a bow hunter for many years, although I have to confess I have not done it in a wile. I used a Damon Howett super diablo at 45# it would shoot slam through a deer. I had a martin dream catcher 50# I gave it to my brother. any way that is a nice bow.

#27 ·
Nice lookin stick and string. Looks like it's got nice even tiller. I've got a osage selfbow I made at the Twin Oaks Tennessee Classic a few years ago. It's got a knot hole in the bottom limb that was tight and had great character. After stringing it and shootin I was workin on the grip and strung it and heard a little tick. The knot hole has a crack on each side now holding with deer sinew.

#28 ·
Thank you for the compliments. I'd love to see pictures of your osage self bow. Osage is an excellent bow wood. Did you end up doing an entire backing of sinew on your bow?

Reactions: MidBigWest
#29 ·
Only killed one deer with a homemade bow and this was 10 years ago come November... somes got it and some ain't... I aint got it when it comes to homemade bows lol I need bow with sights and wheel and cam... I made this one from piece pignut hickory and covered it in snake, mink hide on the recurves and beaver fur on the homemade string, kilt him with a wood arrow but metal broadhead. Looking forward to seeing you bag a critter with it

.DT

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.