Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried or found someone to load custom 338ME cartridges? No one, returns phone calls, emails etc. Evidently most want nothing to do with the project.

My aim, I want a differnt bullet than the only bullet available, Hornady.

Looking for a 200 up to 250 grain bullet, but moving at enough velocity to still be effective moose or elk round at 200 yards or a bit more. Ideally, a Partition bullet, or Woodleigh bonded type bullet.

I am not set up to load myself. Even if I did, I do not have a bullet to load! Hoping Hawk bullets or Grizzly would help, but no response from either on repeated attempts.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here we go again! First off NEVER trust someone Elsa's loads! You don't know what your getting and someone else's loads might be wrong for your Gun, I would Never shoot something that I didn't exactly what it was! Remington makes a corlockt load that You could try but the Hornady LE out performs it hands down!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
This was hashed out a couple weeks ago. Go to page 2 and check out the challenge to all handloaders of 338. This may help.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I E-mailed Hawk bullets last week about 250gr. 375cal bullets. They got back to me the next day IIRC.

Were you asking about bullets or if they would load cartridges for you?

John

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Handloading is both an art and a science. Every gun is different and a load that is good and safe in one gun may be VERY DANGEROUS in another gun. The only way to really do this is to work up a load in small steps while checking for signs of pressure, etc. While you may find someone to make you some boolits, I would not use them. The only excpetion is if you have a friend where you live who is an experienced handloader and you and he work together to work up a load while he check for signs of pressure. It is time consuming to work up a an accurate and safe load in a velocity range you want.

The 308 or 338 ME, are a niche caliber and unless you reload, you are probably stuck with factory offerings. If you want more variety and you do not reload, you really need to stick with more common calibers, i.e., 30-30, 35 Rem., 45-70, etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't quite clear I guess. I am not looking for someone on this forum to load for me.
I am looking at Custom Ammunition Mfg, people who do this for a living.
I have contacted some of those suggested and I am getting zero response, either by email or phone messages.

Sent one to Superior, maybe they will respond.

I have sent Hawk bullets and Grizzly several emails. Even left phone message for Grizzly. Nothing.
Not a good way to do business.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Unless they measure your chamber, how in the heck can it be custom?

I measure each & every rifle I load for, chamber & OAL

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
What concerns do you have about the Hornady bullet? Call Hornady 1-800-338-3220 then #3 talk to one of the tech directly. Don't believe all the internet BS that the FTX bullet.

If I would have gotten a moose tag last year I planned on taking my 338MX with factory and not giving it a second thought. I killed an elk with my 308MX in 2007 using factory ammo and would use it again in a heart beat.

talk to Hornady and get straight info from the techs, their are good guys and will help you out.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
The factory ammo for the 338 Marlin is actually very good. I haven't been able to duplicate it yet with my handloads, although I'm close. I plan on handloading and shooting it, but I may actually buy the factory LE rounds to take hunting. They are that good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Marlin32 said:
I wasn't quite clear I guess. I am not looking for someone on this forum to load for me.
I am looking at Custom Ammunition Mfg, people who do this for a living.
I have contacted some of those suggested and I am getting zero response, either by email or phone messages.

Sent one to Superior, maybe they will respond.

I have sent Hawk bullets and Grizzly several emails. Even left phone message for Grizzly. Nothing.
Not a good way to do business.
Not a good way to do business???
I would not expect any reputable custom amnunition mfg companies to contact you. Why would they?
If they are in the business of making "custom" ammo, they will have to design the anmo to meet the standards for the generic rifle. The issue is liability. the ammo would have to work in any of the 338 rifles, not just yours. Guess what, that is what Hornady has already done that and until there is enough market for another loading only the Hornady is available. There are a number of guys that know their stuff on reloading. Please read their posts. they all state they can get close but not yet match the Hornady performance.
Oh, you want custom ammo that will optimize your rifle? Don't expect any phone calls. Liability. As has been stated just because it is optimum in your rifle, when you give some of it to Bubba down the street and it blows up in his face, who are you gonna blame?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then why are they in the business of Custom manufactoring of ammunition? And some advertise to optimize loads using your gun.

One post here listed several custom ammo makers, simple search of internet, I know a few, have had a few do work for me in the past on other calibers.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Have you spoke with Hornady? What is you biggest concern with the FTX bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I was one of those guys that was a little concerned about "pass thru" on an animal with the .338MX. But after some thought on how well they flat put deer down, I've changed my view. In my case, the round just plain laid out the deer I have shot. Also I have never heard of any animal having a good hit running off and not being found. This includes the stories of deer, elk, bison, and moose. The Hornady 200 grain bullet was made specifically for that rifle. It may be the best bullet and cartridge we will get for the power and range. I put in every year for an elk tag in KY and if I'm ever lucky enough to draw that is the rifle I'm bringing, Lonnie.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My concern with the FTX bullet is jacket separation, and subsequent lack of penetration.
Maybe way too paranoid. I would feel more comfortable with a differnt bullet.
I have no experience with cast bullets, or I would buy all the equipment and start molding my own, and then buy all the reloading equipment and load my own cartridges

For now, I guess I am stuck with the FTX.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Even if the jaket seperates and it does thats still a big chunk of lead coming out and it will do the job just fine. we will get different bullets for it someday it all takes time. Dennis

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been beating my head against the wall coming up with all sorts of possibilities and wildcats etc for my purposes. Marlin and Hornady did that for me already, you are all right.

Perfect combo of distance, power in a lever platform and still comfortable to shoot well.
For now I guess I will stick with the Hornady load as I have little choice.

Not sure if I have the time to experiment with loading and casting my own, as I would start from scratch. Not that it doesn't interest me, just not prepared or experienced enough.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
The elk I shot with my 308mx had fist size chunk of lung between the meat and hide on the off shoulder exit wound. I have no idea if the jacket seperated from the core and really never lost any sleep over it. That bullet caused a wound that is incompatible with life and that is all that matters. I would take my 308 or 338mx again in a heartbeat for elk or moose with the FTX bullet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts