Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you could build an all custom 44 magnum for use with very heavy bullets ( 400gr ) what twist rate would you use? i know velocitys will be down and bullet choice is not great but the project in question needs only 1000fps with the bullets used. thanks for any ideas.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
matthias said:
if you could build an all custom 44 magnum for use with very heavy bullets ( 400gr ) what twist rate would you use? i know velocitys will be down and bullet choice is not great but the project in question needs only 1000fps with the bullets used. thanks for any ideas.
I am thinking if you try to stuff a 400gr bullet into a 44 mag case and get the OAL short enough to expect it to cycle in an 1894 you are not going to have much room for powder. A 45 Colt barrel would serve a little better and I understand there are 360gr that will work, but that is pretty much max for that too. Have you considered a 444?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like i was saying the project is only looking to get 1000fps out of one of the 400 grain bullets.

ok , i am thinking of doing a 44 magnum supressed and an 1894 seems like a good start , also teh 77\44 ruger seems like a canidate as well. hence the really heavy bullets moving slow. so yeah 400 gr OAL short enough to expect it to cycle in an 1894 is kind of the idea. very many loads to do what i am looking for just was wondering what twist might be appropriate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
matthias said:
like i was saying the project is only looking to get 1000fps out of one of the 400 grain bullets.

ok , i am thinking of doing a 44 magnum supressed and an 1894 seems like a good start , also teh 77\44 ruger seems like a canidate as well. hence the really heavy bullets moving slow. so yeah 400 gr OAL short enough to expect it to cycle in an 1894 is kind of the idea. very many loads to do what i am looking for just was wondering what twist might be appropriate.
Since this post isn't getting lots of hits I will hazard a guess, I think what I would look for, something in the neighborhood of 1in20 or even tighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
For a 1894 anything 1-20 to 1-28 would be all you need
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
CalvinMD said:
For a 1894 anything 1-20 to 1-28 would be all you need
That sounds right. I was thinking of his very specific purpose with the monster 400gr traveling subsonic that a tighter twist than 1:20 might help stabilize it. Just a guess on my part however.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
delete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help. i am on the right track that calculator is a cool idea

eaglesnest - why delete?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top