Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I am on a quest for a Marlin 1894 (newer models) in 44-40 and stumbled across a new, unfired 'custom' Marlin 1894 reciever that has a new, unfired, gunsmith-installed 1894S 20" round factory barrel in 44/40. It looks to be new and unfired, no marks on it anywhere. What would the value of such a rifle be? They're asking $695. . .sounds a little rich for a 'parts' rifle, but I'm kind of out of touch with anything non-stock.

I've seen at least one unfired 1894S in 44-40 w/box for $650 (the new purchaser is trying to sell it for $900 with no luck); there are a few of the Century models that never sell on GB for $975-$1100.

What do you all think about the price?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Don't have any idea on what the value would be. It's a pretty grey area to me.

There's a good chance that my 44-40 will be going up for sale soon and to be honest, I've no good idea what it'll bring.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
You says it is a PARTS RIFLE but describe a Receiver and 20" barrel. Is that it? No stocks. Is there a FEED TUBE? Standard trigger or modified? Lots of questions to be answered I think.

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a complete rifle that looks perfect - no marks, no blemishes.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Marlin did make an uncatalogued run of 1894S in 44-40 back in 1993. They made 925 of them with serial numbers running 44400xxx and microgroove barrels.

But here's where the grey area comes in. This gun you're describing is not one of those 925. It's something else that someone has cobbled together using a barrel that was apparently left over from that run. It's hard to put a value on something like because A) it's not factory and B) it's unique. To me one of the 925 would be worth more as they are factory with the special serial numbering. Anyone that could get one of those barrels could put together another gun like you're describing. Personally, I wouldn't value it any more than I would any other regular 1894S.

Just my two cents and your mileage might vary.

ETA: Biku, if you're asking what mine is, it's a 1894D Cowboy Carbine Limited. One of the first hundred out of an uncatlogued run of 325 and has a letter from Marlin. I'm looking at probably having to get some money up to build a new pasture in order to keep my horses and selling off a few guns is about the best option I've got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts