Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first firearm of my very own was an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight purchased in the mid to late 70s. I owned that for 20 years. Killed more deer with it than birds. Had a 26 inch Roto Forged barrel with a fixed IC choke. The thing was a death ray out to about 70 yards with Federal 1 oz foster style slugs. I ended up selling it for some reason or another and regretted it soon after selling it. I always vowed to replace it.

I decided to check into Ithaca in the last few years and found it had changed hands but was still producing a 37 Featherlight. The time was right so I ordered two. Ithaca was kind enough to send me sequentially serieled guns. I ordered one with a 26" ribbed barrel. And the other with a rifled slug barrel and a spare 28" vent rib barrel. The barrels are no longer Roto Forged. Now the barrels are forged with the rib posts and the rib is free floated on top of the posts. The barrel sides have a sort of weird wavy look to them by virtue of this method of manufacture. But you only see it when you look down the rib, not when looking at it from the side. Quality is every bit as good as my old Ithaca, and frankly, aesthetically better.

My 37s have the standard wood option. Interchangeable chokes on the vent rib barrels.

I'm not sure what's in the water in Upper Sandusky, but Ithaca is producing a mighty fine shotgun these days.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
My first firearm of my very own was an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight purchased in the mid to late 70s. I owned that for 20 years. Killed more deer with it than birds. Had a 26 inch Roto Forged barrel with a fixed IC choke. The thing was a death ray out to about 70 yards with Federal 1 oz foster style slugs. I ended up selling it for some reason or another and regretted it soon after selling it. I always vowed to replace it.

I decided to check into Ithaca in the last few years and found it had changed hands but was still producing a 37 Featherlight. The time was right so I ordered two. Ithaca was kind enough to send me sequentially serieled guns. I ordered one with a 26" ribbed barrel. And the other with a rifled slug barrel and a spare 28" vent rib barrel. The barrels are no longer Roto Forged. Now the barrels are forged with the rib posts and the rib is free floated on top of the posts. The barrel sides have a sort of weird wavy look to them by virtue of this method of manufacture. But you only see it when you look down the rib, not when looking at it from the side. Quality is every bit as good as my old Ithaca, and frankly, aesthetically better.

My 37s have the standard wood option. Interchangeable chokes on the vent rib barrels.

I'm not sure what's in the water in Upper Sandusky, but Ithaca is producing a mighty fine shotgun these days.

The Ithica 37 was copied from a Remington 20 gauge that was made in the thirties. They have always been fine shotguns.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I have seen the new Ithaca 37s and they are very well made and finished. Thing is the used market is glutted with classic shotguns. Ithaca 37, Win 12 prices have crashed. You can find them easy for $300 to $400 in 12&16g. Vent ribs and 20g bring a little more. I bought a 16g last year for $100 because safety is broke. I got spring and detent all I need is button.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,048 Posts
Based on the Remington Model 17 shotgun - a John Browning genius design.. The photos the OP posted highlight the wonderful craftsmanship and exceptional execution that the new Ithaca displays.

AC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought one of these, years ago ...

View attachment 825905
Very, very nice. One of the home defense models is on my short list.

The basic, wood stocked, short mag models. When I was a kid I watched the TV show Adam 12. Fell in love with it then. When I was a kid all I knew it as was a "police shogun."

·
Registered
831 Posts
OP, I can just barely read those nice words, "Made in USA"...
Kudos for a fine score.

I am just plain fed up with the "Made in Brazil" and "Made in Turkey" crap that passes itself off as a quality firearm.
After my 100% failure with a brand new Stoeger, I will never buy another "Made in Brazil" gun again.

I'm convinced the "last century" shotguns made in the 70s are far better quality than the typical ones produced today.
I replaced the Stoeger with a Miroku Charles Daly 500 made in the 70s... and the craftsmanship and quality is superb.

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Great pictures thanks for sharing them.:cool:(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts

One of my first shotguns. Good to see the trench gun is still looking good. Nice addition with the jeweling of the bolt parts.

Oh, just one more example of how NY has run all manufacturing out of the State.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Always wanted a "Deerslayer" Ithaca Model 37. Just never been in my cards.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That is a fine looking shotgun. Congrats! Thanks for posting the pictures.

.... and welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts