Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Y'all,
I'm new to this forum and appreciate the helpful info. I've had an 1894C 357 for years and intend to add several 336 this year for me and family. Every one of the 5 whitetails i shot on the mtnside here in N Alabama this season have been 100 yds and under. Heck, I'd be hard put to even find a spot to see 150 yds in the timber. I'm thinking the 30-30 with 170 gr and especially the 35Rem will be ideal with minimal meat loss. Local pawn shop guy told me they would be pouring in after season and I will try to make some trades using guns i will probably never use. Anyhow, I also want to get my wife a new 336C 35Rem and was wondering,

1) everywhere online like Bud's is out of stock/ backordered. Is that normal this time of year ? I will probably use WalMt special gun order and just wondering if there is a lengthy wait now. Anybody had a recent delivery time experience? I can report back, I'll probly go next week and get it started. You put half down and the rest when it comes in.

2) This new 336C looks to have a substantial recoil pad compared to the hard buttplate. I haven't been able to locate one to handle and was wondering if this is indeed a functional pad helping comfortable shooting for the wife. If not, I may get accused of really ordering it for me.

I'm a long time handloader, already got 3030 and 35 dies picked out. BTW, 200 gr Rem CL on sale at MidWay right now (27$/100)

·
Banned
430 Posts
Nobody really knows if they are going to continue the 35 rem as quantities after the take over are zero.

I'd recommend getting a good used original Marlin.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Is there a Gander Mountain near you? There was a 336C in .35 Remington in the Saint Augustine, FL store a couple of days ago, and they might be able to do a transfer to another store. They were asking like $500 for it. I almost bought it myself, but picked up a .45-70 with a 22" barrel instead.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking will go with older used. I've already got the grace screwdrivers coming to work on my 1894C.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
It's quite doubtful that I would pay $500 for a new 336C in 35 Remington. Look around and buy a good used one for about $350 and use the difference for accessories.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I generally look for good used ones myself, but my Marlinitis flared up and the .45-70 will make a nice big brother for my Guide Gun. I did pass on a .308 MX they had for the same price as the .45-70, although I was sorely tempted to buy it. My love for .45-70's, pretty close to how I feel about .35 Remingtons, won out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
KenG,

If your wife is recoil shy, like mine, why not let her shoot your 1984C in 357. From what I have read here, it seems you can load up a 357 to almost mimic a 30-30 under a 100yds. Just a thought. That way when you do order "her" new gun and if she thinks it kicks to much, you can tell her you will load up the 357 for her to try and "you" still get to keep the 35rem. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She shoots and likes the 1894C 357. This yr i even loaded some 180 GR Hornadys @ 1600 fps, but I dont know if i trust it yet. Some report no pass thru, and I prefer 2 holes. She's not recoil shy, just dont want her to get that way. Tomorrow I attempt trade for used 3030s and trying to get used 35R. Have two equip several fmly members for next fall, no time like the present.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
KenG, dont get in too big of a hurry. Tax time often fills the used racks at gun stores and pawn shops. June-July is often a good time to buy. Welcome and best wishes, Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts