·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
30wcf---

That's an impressive line up. I can certainly see why we would have so many different bullet profiles---but--- the differing brass profiles is somewhat puzzling---everything from a tapered case to a true bottleneck. #'s 6 & 7 appear to me a least to be the closest to what an original 44-40 case may look like. Have anything original to compare them against ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,
I should have added a pic of some of the original cartridges..... The original cartridges loaded with dense type smokeless powder had deep cannelures to assure that the bullet did not telescope into the case..... similar to present day Magtech.

w30wcf

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
When I have bought new 44-40 Star-line brass it looks like straight wall 45Colt when it is fresh out of the bag. After running it through the die set it is a bottle neck cartridge. The first time I saw this I thought the brass was mis-packaged. But you learn more every day. I sort my 44-40 brass after being fired and keep it with the rifle it has been fired in. Otherwise I have some Colts that do not like the brass from the 1894 Marlin.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Steve,
I should have added a pic of some of the original cartridges..... The original cartridges loaded with dense type smokeless powder had deep cannelures to assure that the bullet did not telescope into the case..... similar to present day Magtech.

w30wcf
30wcf---

Thank you--I keep looking at the new magtech brass you have in the original picture , pics #2 and #5, it appears as though the thickness of the rim on those pieces of brass is quite a bit thinner than the other rounds shown. Is that the case or is it just the picture ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve,
It is just the picture. I measured the rim thickness and it is .062" which is actually a bit more than some of the other brands...at least with the lots I have.

w30wcf

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was told by a Winchester rep that they would be manufacturing hunting ammo this month. I have not been able to get any further details. Anyono out there know anything? Was hoping this would bring the price down a bit but......:biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts