Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's much thinner and actually looks better.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm not sure of current production CB models but the forend caps on my 18" LTD III's are exactly one inch shorter than my 16" STP's and 18" STBL.

·
Premium Member
11,577 Posts
wavehopr said:
It's much thinner and actually looks better.

NO............the CB forearm will not fit a 1895 Guide Gun.

Tom

·
Registered
681 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I'm not sure of current production CB models but the forend caps on my 18" LTD III's are exactly one inch shorter than my 16" STP's and 18" STBL.

Do you have any pics of your 1895 LTDIII ? I'd love to see them as I'm building my own LTDIII copy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Why certainly. ;D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks so much. I'm debating on sanding down my buttstock, or calling Marlin and trying to buy a buttstock from them for a LTDIII or cowboy. I already got the forearm thinnned (previous owner had his gunsmith do it) next will be a mag tube extension.

·
Premium Member
11,577 Posts
MattPair said:
Thanks so much. I'm debating on sanding down my buttstock, or calling Marlin and trying to buy a buttstock from them for a LTDIII or cowboy. I already got the forearm thinnned (previous owner had his gunsmith do it) next will be a mag tube extension.

Matt,

Good Idea.........But be careful sanding or the wrist will get too thin, and the tangs will stand proud..........IMO, you don't need that big GG recoil pad on that rifle, either. Butts for the CB and the LTD III are the same part.

Tom

·
Registered
681 Posts
I noticed that there wasn't much 'extra' wood in the grip, that's what lead me to thinking about ordering a replacement buttstock. That pad is a limbsaver . Thinking a cowboy buttstock and a grind to fit pachmyer pad would be the bee's knees.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1895CB forend will work with some fitting and a new dovetail cut in the barrel. The cowboy with octagon barrel is smaller OD diameter than the 1895G when I did mine I taped a piece of sand paper to the barrel and moved the forend back and forth like a pump shotgun until the forend fit the barrel contour. the CB forend is 1" shorter than the 1895G so I had to cut a new dovetail in the barrel it was defiantly not a drop in fit but really was not that big of a deal to do. The cowboy forend does not fit the guide gun magazine cap that well but it works ok.

ETA. Brownells has the CB buttstock in stock on their website and I have seen them lately on eBay for a descent price

1895G with cowboy stock and forend
\

1 - 9 of 9 Posts