Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes...that is correct. I've found the cure for Marlinitis!

Stopped by a LGS today, to see if any "downed economy" bargains were around. Viewing the same rack I found my .45 Colt 1894 on, I couldn't even pick up a new Marlin there. The stock/tang fit was a full 1/16" off, and the action didn't look right either.

There were quite a few Rossi's on the rack but their prices seem to be higher than they were too.

To be back in the good ol' days of a few years ago!

Jon

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
That's not a cure...........that's just being a Careful Consumer. You'll be back here crowing about your latest find before long. Denial is part of the disease!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
papajohn said:
That's not a cure...........that's just being a Careful Consumer. You'll be back here crowing about your latest find before long. Denial is part of the disease!
Denial is NOT part of the disease!

And just because I don't want another caliber I will TOTALLY ignore the 1895 Cowboy that was there for $539.

Though I may go look at it to admire the fit and finish later today. ;D

Jon

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
There is only one cure that I have found.......It's called unemployment. ::) Now that I'm working again, I may be in trouble.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Lack of funds is not a cure. That's just a period of remission.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
There is no cure, all we end up doing is treating the symptoms and reducing the level for a short time.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Just for the record, I'm not donating money for research into a possible cure for Marlinitis. I'll just suffer in (somewhat) silence.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think plenty of guys here drop a lot of money into researching the cause of the affliction around here though. I don't think there actually is a cure.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
stevens520 said:
I don't think there actually is a cure.
I sure hope you're right!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Even if there is I'm NOT taking it!!!

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Cure?? ::)
For what? ;D
There is nothing wrong with me!! ;)
I have 3 gun sites booked marked .
Watching about 5 Marlins..
Just got the 1894 ,44 m
And there is a gun show or two coming up soon..
Always have room for one more.....
OH YES..
We are leaving tomorrow morning for Tennessee ,
Maybe I can check out a pawn shop or two while we are down there..
I have my pick up ,it should hold one or?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
My case of the 'itus is terminal and includes makes other than Marlins, just to make it more complicated.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Tedak said:
My case of the 'itus is terminal and includes makes other than Marlins, just to make it more complicated.
Attaboy, Ted! THAT'S the Spirit! Spread the love around! :D

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I'm afraid I fall into the same catagory as Ted. I even picked up a Mossberg stainless 30-30 last night at Cabelas. They had about 9-10 Marlins out on the racks where you could pick em up and look em over. Two 1894's, one a 45 Colt CB ($800) and the other an 1894C ($550). An 1895 and four 1895 GBL's, 336 XLR (used for $550), 336 W, and a 1975 336 in 35 Rem in good shape with old Redfield 4X for $520. There was also a Rossi lever in 45 Colt on the same rack, compared fit of wood and the finish on it to the Marlins and it was winning on several points. I own 6 of the Rossi's already and they have always been a bit rougher than Marlins, no longer with this one. DP

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
While it is documented that there is no permanent cure for Marlinitis, the common misconception that there is a cure, or that a cure is just around the corner (with more gub'mint funded research, of course) still prevails. Meanwhile, those commonly afflicted will continue to remain in denial, with symptoms complicated with chronic, but sporadic, bouts of depression, aggression, or envy, and possibly exhibiting combinations of some or all of the various side affects of the malady.

As 44-40 Willy so clearly pointed out, there is no cure, but simply periods of remission. The relief that one suffering from Marlinitis can expect from these periods of remission is only temporary, however, and as the disease continues to advance, the periods of remission typically become shorter and shorter. Additionally, as the periods of remission become shorter and shorter, and given the lack of current quality production of the only true relief one can hope to obtain from the root cause, those afflicted will become more easily aggitated, more susceptible to the bouts of depression, and more inclined to binge when the opportunity to find relief presents itself.

This leads us to another problem - - the hoarders. Those that are afflicted, have been denied access to a period of quality remission and have subsequently found themselves in a position to relieve the suffering caused by Marlinitis tend to "binge" buy those increasingly more difficult to obtain specimens. This, in turn, exacerbates the symptomolgy the rest of us experience, leading to more widespread exhibition of the side affects of depression, aggression, envy, and denial. It is an ugly and vicious cycle that not only feeds on the hosts, but serves to increase the likelyhood of infection from even casual contact with those hosts that are in the advanced stages of Marlinitis.

Unfortunately, like many diseases (which may or may not be covered) under ObamaCare, the mitigating treatment options for Marlinitis will become more difficult and expensive to obtain. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts