Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have three crossbows. A Ten point FX4 a Barnett Raptor and an older Excalibur Vortex. The Barnett is the most hunting friendly crossbow. It's the lightest and most compact(narrowest) in size. The Ten point is slightly heavier and wider but absolutely better in quality. With all that being said, I like my Excalibur Vortex the best. The thing is amazingly accurate and simple. Only problem I have with it is that it is 36" wide:( I like the Excalibur so much that I'm thinking about selling all three to get a new Excalibur Micro Suppressor! The technology is advancing every day but the simple recurve design just works. There are many quality crossbow manufacturers and components out there, I believe they create opportunities to help those who need them.
I'll admit it, I'm an Excalibur addict :embarassed:. I bought my first one 30 years ago and have added 4 more since then(bought a Micro 335 and traded up to Suppressor). Below is a picture of my collection ATM.

Clock wise from the bottom left>
2009-Exocet 200 c/w Excal Shadow Zone scope, 200 lb draw weight, advertised speed 330 fps - Broke down for storage in safe
2015-Mattrix 380 Xtra c/w Vortex Viper XBR(no longer available), 260 lb draw weight, advertised speed 380 fps - #1 bow
2017-Micro Suppressor c/w Hawke XB30 Pro, 280 lb draw weight, advertised speed 342 fps - #2 bow for those long hikes in
2016-Mattrix 380 Lynx c/w Ziess XB75(no longer available), 260 lb draw weight, advertised speed 380 fps - #1 bow for when the snow flies
1987-Wolverine c/w same Tasco 2.5 power I got 30 years ago with bow, 150 lb draw weight, advertised speed 250 fps - Broke down for storage in safe

It has been interesting watching the Excalibur bows develop over the last 30 years. I'm still amazed at how small (length & width) the Suppressor is when you put it beside a Wolverine or Exocet.
The 30 year old Wolverine is more accurate now than when I got it. As the technology developed and I applied to the Wolverine it just got more accurate. With a rope cocker, Flemish string and good straight stiff carbon arrow BE Zombie's, I don't dare shoot at the same bulls eye.
Replacing Aluminum Arrows was the first advancement for me. I think I bent every aluminum arrow I ever bought pulling them out of foam type archery targets, accuracy not consistent. Switched to carbon and things got better. Now there is a much better selection of carbon arrows out there. I'm running BE Zombies on all my bows now.
Using a C2 crank has taken my inconsistency out of the picture. I can rope cock any one of them but prefer to crank, especially target shooting. I can sit in my hunting chair or tree stand and cock them with the C2 crank. You can use the C2 crank without the clicker/anti-reverse for quieter operation, just don't left go of handle. Rumor is Excal is coming out with a C3.
Custom bow strings, all these bows have custom Flemish strings, much better quality & life span. The string on the Exocet at the time of the picture had been on that bow for 6 years.
Kill shot distances have varied, the closest was 11 yards with the Wolverine the longest was 29 yards with the Exocet all the rest in between.

I'm kind to my bows I don't shoot the minimum weight arrows. This helps to reduce the stress on the limbs and along with a good Flemish string takes some of the crack noise out of the shot.
Do I need another one NO, do I want another YES, a Micro Suppressor in Realtree AP Snow the same camo as the Lynx.

Final comment:
You won't find many 30 year old compound crossbows still in use, that have never been 'back to the shop' for tuning, cable or cam repairs/replacement.

Reactions: westmoore

·
Registered
137 Posts
With my Excalibur Vortex I learned not to aim at the same spot twice after checking to see if my broadhead would hit the same as a field point...

Attachments

Reactions: M700 and Blackbarry
41 - 42 of 42 Posts